View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM

What the OP is talking about is his approach to converting an acoustic guitar with a standard scale length to one that's tuned to the baritone range.

I've been playing baritone guitar since 1999, and what I have found is that these modified standard guitars can be made to be functional, if not optimal. I've never played one that had any acoustic projection to it at all, but if you're going to play plugged into an amp or PA, that's mostly moot, anyway.

For the way I use my baritone guitar as a music leader in church, it's imperative that it have good projection, and mine does, as Mycroft can attest. But different approaches can work for different musical needs.

My McAlister baritone has a scale length of 28.3 inches, and Mycroft's Beneteau baritone is 28 inches. These are instruments that will prove more musically versatile than a conversion baritone, but not everyone needs or wants the musical flexibility in a baritone guitar that I require. I agree that the tone from a modified baritone guitar like this isn't going to match that of a long scale purpose-built acoustic baritone guitar, but again, that doesn't always matter.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller