View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Many years ago I had a Fishman single coil and I kept it a couple of weeks, because string-to-string balance wasn't to my liking. The recent ones might be better. I opted for a Baggs M1 active, and I wouldn't get anything that didn't have adjustable pole pieces - string-to-string balance is tricky with acoustic strings, and they aren't designed to be used with electric strings.

A possible downside of the Baggs is that it very sensitive to body noises. It would be great for percussive players, but might present problems for more conventional styles, depending on how you play and what you want.
I've used the M1 active but now use the M80 in passive mode in my D28 and they both do a good job although I prefer the M80. As said, pole piece adjustment is essential to achieving best results and for that reason I wouldn't consider the Fishman.

If you don't like the body sensing you can put pads between the pickup clamps and the guitar top but I don't find this necessary neither do I experience problems with pick/nail noise as I play slightly behind where the pickup is mounted.