Thread: cost of strings
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I can't say unequivically across the board, but I've seen increases pretty much everywhere. When I came back to playing 5 years ago I was buying Elixir strings for $10. Now $16. Gibson electrics went for $6. Now $8+.

Guitars too largely have gone up in price. Fender MIM Strats 5 years ago were regularly selling for $400. Now $600 for the basic model with a push for inflated "premium" MIMs. . MIA's could be had for $1000, now $1300-1400+ Gibson did try unsuccessfully raise prices by 30% in 2015, but got so much push back that they rescinded the increases in 2016.

But it's not limited to guitar stuff. Food prices have skyrocketed. Car prices too. Housing in some areas. The govt would have you believe that we have 2% inflation. I just want to know what dimension they are getting those numbers from (yeah- I know it's their "market basket")? Unfortunately your boss uses the 2%number to give you your "cost of living" increase. I digress. Sorry.
Hi, your digression is interesting.

Inflation in the UK is said to have reached 3% (which is high for us but we ain't seen nothin' yet)

I always budget on 5% a year for household bills, - I don't know about groceries because my wife buys them all. (We budget separately).

I'ver just looked at the prices of what my guitars would cost now - I couldn't afford them now.