View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Rather than a straight bit, you might consider a dovetail or tapered bit so you cut back on the rear of the neck a bit more so you have more material to round into the new neck shape.
Yes, or perhaps a jig that tilts the neck along its length so the vertical cutter edge creates the angled flat surface you describe. It might allow enough new wood to be added to affect a proper "new neck contour" as Charles points out in his first paragraph:
"To add material to the sides of the neck, to have a smooth transition from the old material to the new material in the finished contour of the neck, the entire neck profile would need to be different. There needs to be tangency between the curvature of the old neck and the curvature of the added material, else there will be a discontinuity in the contour of the back of the neck. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I wouldn't worry about the very ends of the cuts - those can be chiseled
Frankly, I think I could live with less-than-perfect regarding those cut ends just shy of the headstock. For example, I wouldn't care if there were an obvious mismatch, gap, ridge, whatever - as long as my hand doesn't encounter it when playing.