View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 AM

ukejoh, I agree the Duet also works great as a preamp. I use it with my iMac and a pair of Adam Audio A7s and Sub and it sounds awesome.

You mentioned 'dodgy' software and I have a question. I'm still running Snow Leopard on my iMac because I heard that the 1st generation Duets like I have did not work well with Lion. Do you know if that situation has changed?

Sorry for the hijack Mau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
The other thing about the Duet that you don't hear discussed as much is that it also is a wonderful headphone preamp. So whether listening to CDs or mixing/mastering your own recording, the music takes on a much more beautiful and well defined character.

(Warning: the Apogee software can be a bit dodgy and you may have to download the driver again if not working. No big deal but sort of a pain....)

Good luck on the mic search. I took my Duet to the store and brought a variety of mics into a back room to listen to them. Listened carefully for the way they colored the sound of my voice when speaking and the way they "heard" the room. I was keenly interested in the amount of self noise each one generated. I'm obsessed with finding very quiet, good sounding mics for fingerstyle recording and the Shure KSM 137s have proven to be nearly silent for my applications.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'