View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Build Thread, Osthoff Prototype

I decided to start a build thread based on a “prototype” guitar that I am building for an AGF member Chris Ruble. This new model is still evolving and even though Chris has a couple of Osthoff guitars already, he decided to commission this guitar adding to his collection based on speculation that this new model will complement his playing style. Thanks Chris for putting that faith in me. In a recent e-mail Chris referred to his Osthoff Slope Dread, “I think you are going to have a tough time building a better sounding guitar than the SD... It is an awesome fingerstyle guitar,” so I have a challenge in front of me, but I am up for it.

Anyway here goes.

The story of this new model is referred to a bit over in this thread so I won’t repeat all those details here.

Here is the outline we started with. Of course the rectangle for the bridge is just a “placeholder”

Some of the design parameters were shown in the other thread, but I will repeat them here
  • Spruce top (not sure on species yet )
  • Indian Rosewood back and Sides
  • Ebony fingerboard and bridge.
  • My own designed titanium truss rod
  • Carbon fiber reinforced neck
  • Recessed Trussrod cover
  • Laminated Side Construction (ala Somogyi)
  • Carbon fiber reinforced neck and tail blocks
  • Modified neck joint (bolt on)
  • Mahogany back braces (not sure if it will have an X-brace on back or not)
  • Symmetrical top bracing
  • Venetian Cutaway
  • Possibly a hybrid finish (more to come on that later)
  • K&K pure Classical Pick-up
  • Other typical stuff, logo, side fretmarkers, binding purflings etc.

Kevin A (another AGF member) did a “quick” rendering of a potential look of what this guitar might look like. Although we have not finalized all the parameters this is nice way of getting a sneek-peek of some of the possibilities.

Even though we have made some progress and I have got a lot of pictures, I need to process them and get them uploaded but right now I should get into the shop. More to come.

Last edited by John Osthoff; 01-18-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo(s)