View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post

Q: Why do your guitars not have a truss rod?
A: Because our guitar is so stable, we don't need a truss rod.

<<snip self-serving nonsense>>

re-inserted:

"if you play mainly plugged in and use extra light strings, you don't need as much relief, and the lower string tension of lighter gage strings gives you a little less. On the flip side, if you use heavier gage strings, you generally need a bit more relief, which the higher string tension will provide. We are 100% confident that our approach is tecnincally sound, and have found that it works for almost all players - our goal is to provide you a consistent, worry free, guitar - to us, a not having a truss rod is just one less thing to worry about."
(from CA's website, perhaps?)

Gosh, that last part now has me convinced...

...not.

They are 100% wrong, in fact. A higher tension string will have a smaller arc of vibration (if the attack is the same), and can be set-up to lower tolerances, including the relief.

This is, in fact, one of the most *wrong* things I have ever seen stated on a guitar manufacturer's website (or wherever you got it from).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
I would not buy another CA guitar until they got a truss rod. My action on the CA GX I had was on the high side. higher than say Taylor recommended 6/64 and 4/64--- Low E / High E I did sand the saddle some and there was plenty of exposed saddle to do so but I hit a point wjherew if I would sand anymore I would be buzzing and rattling the strings in the lower frets. the ONLY way to remedy this would be to ad a touch of relief then I could have gotten the saddle down. The neck was too straight and without a truss rod you are basically left to what you have--- Notice I now am Back to a Taylor as playing with high action and stiff Phos/Bronze strings were giving me issues with finger tip pain. The point of not have to baby sit the guitar with climate issues was nice but not worth it when it is unenjoyable to play!

This really is a bit too funny for me...must excuse myself...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 07-22-2010 at 09:08 PM.