View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 AM

Standard Tuning

Here is tab for the first three triads (E, A, Bm) of the riff in STANDARD TUNING.

e|-----------------------
B|-----------------------
G|--1(i)----2(i)----4(i)-
D|--2(r)----2(i)----4(i)-
A|--2(m)----4(r)----5(m)-
E|-----------------------

(I’ll let the reader decide how to make the fourth triad; remember, you will most likely leave that one out when playing a song.)

When you’re playing with the I chord in the blues progression (in E), you can let the low E string ring free. When you go to the IV(A) chord, you move everything up to the appropriate place on the neck: similarly, for the V(B) chord. However, on these two, you probably don’t want to let the E string ring free.

Origins and Applications

I came upon these “triads” because I was looking for something different to play when doing blues jams. Also, I do these chord chops in addition to (and rather than) scales as a warm up or when I’m feeling uninspired!

If you listen closely to the Stones “Brown Sugar” and some others, you can hear an acoustic guitar following closely to the main electric guitar rhythm riff. I think the triads shown above could be used in a similar manner; with the electric rhythm playing the original two string riff and an acoustic player strumming these triads in the background.

Homework!

Figure out the same for the Blues in A (in Standard Tuning) by using triads on the D, G and B strings.

Last edited by Allman_Fan; 12-11-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Corrected Tab mistake