View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue in VT View Post
Wow some superb playing there boys...Howard I've always enjoyed your tunes...and you are in the same musical genre that prefer. My question for you is can you still palm mute comfortably on the arch top?

Cheers,

Blue
Hi Blue,
Thanks for the kind words!

Playing an archtop is not so much different than playing a flattop from my perspective, especially from a tonal/sustain point of view because I've got such a freaky instrument.

If it were like your typical archtop with sharp attack, limited bass response and quick decay, it would be a different story, but it's not any of those.

I actually don't mute with my palm, so much as the side of my hand down from the pinky, and in truth I really don't do a lot of muting.

I look at muting like any seasoning: A little, used judiciously, adds flavor.

I'm certainly not from the Chet Atkin's school in that regard, especially his older electric stuff!!

Some of the muting that I do entails grabbing strings that I don't want to ring with fingers that are otherwise idle. I refer to this as 'spidering'

There's also the muting in back of the bottleneck with my trailing fingers.

I suppose because I tend to pluck my strings closer to the bridge than many other players it might appear as if I'm resting on the saddle, but most of the time I'm just hovering above it.

The saddle is the most controllable location from which to mute as it's closest to the fulcrum point. Too far forward and the string stops dead in its tracks. Too far back, nada.

Hope that explanation helps some.

Regards,
HE
http://www.howardemerson.com/