View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
...Edit: Larry, since you have ongoing correspondence with John L., why don't you copy and paste my cable idea and ask him if this will work.
Obviously there are many preamps on the market which supply phantom on a certain input which also feeds the signal. But, John had these
isolated from each other on Ch.1's insert. Not fully understanding phantom and eveything, I would want to make sure this will not cause any damage
to the EDB-1 by linking the signal source and phantom on Ch.1 itself.
Hi jamison...
I received a note from John Littler of Headway Sound today updating a question I had about plugging an external phantom powered mic into channel 2 via XLR with the phantom power on and then plugging a mono cable into channel 1 for the pickup as to whether it will be a problem...since it has +12volt phantom supplied to it at the same time.

His response is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by john littler from headway
Larry, we designed the circuit so that the phantom to CH 1 would be turned off if a
mono jack is inserted. Otherwise the phantom current would be shorted to
ground and use up the battery power very quickly. Therefore there would be no problem.

I forwarded your suggestion and question about wiring the ''far-end'' of a split cable as well...I'll let you know what the response is.

Hope this contributes to the ongoing experimentation.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…