View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Why would someone want to use a preamp for a K&K mini and internal mic if it doesn't have separate eq for each source prior to blending?
Hi sdsr...
While that is an interesting question, on a personal level, my separate channel tone settings on my other preamps (which I set by ear with eyes closed) are nearly identical, so I don't have an issue.

If someone is trying to isolate/eliminate and use only certain frequency spectrums of each channel, then this would not be the preamp for that.

David Wilcox, for instance, has a 5 way system installed in his road guitars and uses separate, and very elaborate, EQ on each source to isolate/permit only a predefined frequency spectrum to reach the amp/board from each source. This kind of preamp would not work for that approach to dual-source amplification.

I do believe the more high-end or ''flat'' the equipment is, the less it needs to be EQed.

All I can tell you so far is with an external condenser mic (AT2021) and the pickup, the incorporated EQ was very good at tweaking it with minimal movement off ''FLAT''. In fact I was surprised at how good it sounds with everything just set flat with each source.

I was also immediately impressed with how robustly it handles dynamic changes. This thing doesn't even flinch when you lean into it at high volumes where other preamps overload.

Perhaps good tone with flat settings is the ''unheard'' effect of proper impedance matching (someone suggested the switches didn't change anything noticeable for them).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 09-16-2009 at 08:37 PM.