View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
OC1 wrote:
I recognize Mark Hanson as a great player, but I think his style is simply too overeducated (too classical and too polished) for some of the type of music he teach (like travis picking).

I prefer some more relaxed players like Fred Sokolow who doesn't make big fuzz about what is the proper way to fingerpick but rather teach how the music should sound.
Hi OC1,

Please don't take this as a "pick a fight" or an attack, but I think somehow, some way, you're misunderstanding Mark's teaching style.

I took a few years of classical guitars lessons in the past. I've taken lessons from a few Jazz teachers, I've taken several lessons from a "rock" guitar teacher. I'm currently a student of Mark Hanson's. Mark is the most relaxed, and EASIEST guy to learn from out of the 6+ guitar teachers I've had!!

Speaking from first hand experience, Mark's "style" is FAR FAR from "overeducated". I'm not sure why you say that. He is very un"relaxed." Mark does NOT make a big fuss about "the proper way to fingerpick". He's very flexible in allowing his students to pick as they please. I've heard him say MANY MANY times to me: " you can use x finger, or, x finger, whichever is easiest." Or, "you can use your thumb over the top, or x finger. A classical guitar player would be offended if he saw you use your thumb over the top." An "overeducated" and un"relaxed" teacher would DEMAND certain things. Mark does not. In fact, Mark doesn't FORCE his students to do, or learn anything, including theory (like a few classical teachers normally do).
At the core of Mark's approach is the simple idea of teaching people to play the songs they want, and play guitar in general.
When Mark asks students to do certain things, certain ways, it's still their choice. Regarding the concepts and techniques he seems firm about, they are typically simply good technique that being taught; which will benefit the student both now and in the future.

Have you taken any lessons from Mark? If not, and you're basing what you're saying on his DVDs or audio CDs, keep in mind that when any teacher is explaining something, they need to....be specific. Being specific, and giving a reason for what you're specific about can come across as inflexible.
Mark is far from that. His success as a teacher speaks for itself.

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4