The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Clip on tuners (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685188)

eyesore 04-28-2024 04:16 PM

Clip on tuners

I know I brought this up before but now that it’s getting warm out playing gigs outside;it’s difficult to see these clip on tuners. Even the pedal tuners are hard to see. I’ve tried some of these suggestions here but none work for me. Has technology changed much since I bought my last one? I have 4 different tuners and when the Sun is out, I can’t see any of them! Any ideas?

cyclistbrian 04-28-2024 04:33 PM

Snark with a fresh battery.

Rudy4 04-28-2024 05:01 PM

Korg Pitchclip 2 with a fresh battery. ;)

Seriously, strong sunlight is a difficult situation to deal with.

canehorn 04-28-2024 05:15 PM

Peterson recently updated their Stroboclip with new display that has a variety of colors. It may help with varied light conditions.

abn556 04-28-2024 05:41 PM

Snarks are not very accurate. The clip on Peterson is way more accurate as is the TC Electronic one. I am partial to the Peterson as my main tuner is a Peterson Strobe tuner.

LAPlayer 04-28-2024 05:55 PM

D'Addario NS Micro Soundhole Tuner. If the battery's good you can see it in any light and no fumbling with the headstock.

ljguitar 04-28-2024 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyesore (Post 7451654)
I know I brought this up before but now that it’s getting warm out playing gigs outside;it’s difficult to see these clip on tuners. Even the pedal tuners are hard to see. I’ve tried some of these suggestions here but none work for me. Has technology changed much since I bought my last one? I have 4 different tuners and when the Sun is out, I can’t see any of them! Any ideas?

Hi eyesore
LCD screen tuners versus LED screen tuners.

Not only are they cheaper, they show up clearly in sunlight.

ljguitar 04-28-2024 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abn556 (Post 7451702)
Snarks are not very accurate. The clip on Peterson is way more accurate as is the TC Electronic one. I am partial to the Peterson as my main tuner is a Peterson Strobe tuner.

Hi abn556
Snarks are +- 2 cents (that's within 2/100 of a half step).

I know it's nice to have my Intellitouch (¹⁄₂₀₀₀ half step) which is great when I'm intonating a guitar or bass…but on the fly a Snark will get us there too.

I don't know about you, but I cannot hear ¹⁄₁₀₀ of a half step versus ¹⁄₂₀₀₀.

rounder 04-28-2024 08:12 PM

How come they need fresh batteries. My tuners are D'Addarios. I like how they clip on and how I can see what they do...even with a relatively new battery. Are they battery hogs.

boneuphtoner 04-28-2024 08:58 PM

The new Snark ST-8 rechargeable titanium has an extremely bright display. I doubt it would get lost in the sunlight, and the charge is clearly visible on the display. But I agree with the earlier comment that LCDs are cheaper and more visible, but you hardly see those much anymore except for my old Korgs that are not clip ons.

Rudy4 04-28-2024 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rounder (Post 7451764)
How come they need fresh batteries. My tuners are D'Addarios. I like how they clip on and how I can see what they do...even with a relatively new battery. Are they battery hogs.

In my post it's a joke. Notice the ;).

Rudy4 04-28-2024 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boneuphtoner (Post 7451772)
The new Snark ST-8 rechargeable titanium has an extremely bright display. I doubt it would get lost in the sunlight, and the charge is clearly visible on the display. But I agree with the earlier comment that LCDs are cheaper and more visible, but you hardly see those much anymore except for my old Korgs that are not clip ons.

????

Almost all clip on tuners are LCD, either monochrome or full color.

abn556 04-28-2024 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 7451763)
Hi abn556
Snarks are +- 2 cents (that's within 2/100 of a half step).

I know it's nice to have my Intellitouch (¹⁄₂₀₀₀ half step) which is great when I'm intonating a guitar or bass…but on the fly a Snark will get us there too.

I don't know about you, but I cannot hear ¹⁄₁₀₀ of a half step versus ¹⁄₂₀₀₀.

Its especially noticeable to me on the octaves of open chords above the 12th fret. For example the open D octave is very obvious when something is off. If the G and B strings are slightly off, I hear it immediately. So I choose to use another tuner. We have a few Snarks around the house, I just don’t use them. My wife didn’t grow up playing by ear, so the Snarks are fine for her.

Jeremy 04-28-2024 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rounder (Post 7451764)

Depends on the tuner. My Boss TU-10 will get less bright when the battery is close to needing to be replaced.

jim1960 04-28-2024 11:09 PM

The new Peterson is very bright and extremely accurate.