The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fixing finish issues on an acoustic guitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684933)

0x00feef00 04-22-2024 12:35 PM

Fixing finish issues on an acoustic guitar

Hi all!

I've got a '99s Taylor 510 that's starting to get a little bubbling of the finish on the sides along the neck joint.

In general, do you all get these kinds of things repaired or just let them go?

It's not horrible, and if it starts getting worse, my opinion might change.

Thoughts?

Edit: Here's a photo of the spot in question. The damage on the treble side is much less noticeable, but similar.

https://i.imgur.com/MUMUaMu.jpg

TheGITM 04-22-2024 12:45 PM

Generally speaking, there isn't usually an easy way to 'spot repair' guitar finish. At least not where it looks like new. There are some cheat steps that can address obvious issues to make them 'less obvious', but not to restore it to a factory finish... I guess I should caveat to include the word 'affordable'... for a price, just about anything is doable, right?

The main question is your intent for the guitar. If it's a player that you expect will get some bumps and bruises, I'd not worry too much about it. However, if you want to keep it pristine for resale, you might want to get a quote on a repair and see if it makes sense. It's also worth noting that, even if you can get someone to do a spot repair/refinish, the issue in the finish that allowed the bubbling around neck could pop up elsewhere... so you might end up chasing it around the guitar over time.

Just food for thought.

AMW 04-22-2024 12:48 PM

Can you post a pic so that we can see the extent of the issue? Might influence the "fix it / live with it" response in an appreciable way.

Goat Mick 04-22-2024 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I always chalked it up to evidence that the guitar is being used and is aging naturally. In the 45 years I've been playing, I haven't had the finish repaired on any guitar. I just roll with it and that includes this guy.

The Bard Rocks 04-22-2024 01:15 PM

The first thing i thought of was "Why did this happen?" The second thing i thought of, "Is the neck joint stable?"

Wade Hampton 04-22-2024 01:50 PM

The problem with fixing a finish problem on a Taylor guitar is that Taylors are finished with polyester, which is impervious to chemical solvents. They require physically removing the finish by blitzing it away.

With a nitrocellulose lacquer finish it would be easy enough to squirt a little bit of solvent to remove the bubbled area and reshoot some new lacquer in its place. But spot repairs are not nearly as feasible with polyester finishes.

I would recommend that you just live with it.

Wade Hampton Miller

Silly Moustache 04-22-2024 02:09 PM

I have generally bought used instruments in good or rebuilt condition. I wouldn't buy a guitar that has been mistreated or looks like it has been.

lowrider 04-22-2024 02:30 PM

People are paying extra for that stuff these days, a lot extra.

I take very good care of my guitars. Keeping them in the case when I'm not playing and having a stand nearby when I am. If something happens, so be it. Guitars are made to be played, and when they're played things will happen.

Just roll with it.

Br1ck 04-22-2024 02:53 PM

Finish work takes a special person, and can be made far worse than leaving it alone.

ssstewart 04-22-2024 03:00 PM

if the finish damage tells a story of the guitars music/ songs played...then absolutely not. but in all other cases for guitars with a resale value of less than 3k, absolutely I would repair and restore the finish myself, no matter if its french/nitro/poly etc. I'm comfortable and competent in restoring most finishes.

0x00feef00 04-22-2024 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrider (Post 7448420)
People are paying extra for that stuff these days, a lot extra.

I take very good care of my guitars. Keeping them in the case when I'm not playing and having a stand nearby when I am. If something happens, so be it. Guitars are made to be played, and when they're played things will happen.

Just roll with it.

The funny thing is that it isn't even play wear. This guitar has definitely been treated well, if not neglected; it's lived in its case in a climate-controlled home for ~26 years.

I've been primarily an electric player for the last decade and sometime during this guitar's life in its case, the finish started to separate. I just noticed it when I pulled it out of the case a few weeks ago.

I almost think this is worth a warranty claim with Taylor since I'm the original owner.

I updated the original post to include a photo:

https://i.imgur.com/MUMUaMu.jpg

Goat Mick 04-22-2024 03:50 PM

If you're the original owner then you have the lifetime warranty. If you can live without your guitar for some time while Taylor works on it, then go for it. You're only out shipping costs.

abn556 04-22-2024 03:53 PM

Check out the Harpeth Guitar Restoration videos on finish work. He does some interesting things I have never seen before.

Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/AL3itxjPgCo?si=dtKsBQd5G45BKWu5

nacnac 04-22-2024 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0x00feef00 (Post 7448458)
I almost think this is worth a warranty claim with Taylor since I'm the original owner.

Give them a call or send them that photo and see what they say. If it was mine, I'd look in to fixing it.

Arapaho G 04-22-2024 04:40 PM

If you want it to be undetectable then a furniture finish repair guy is the way to go. I have seen it done on furniture, but you have to find the right person. That could be difficult, depending on where you live and would probably cost at least 300.

If you want it to look "better", but still visible, then a good painter that finishes wood and deals with stain matches could do it. I was a painting contractor for over 40 years. Stained and finished a lot of wood, but I could not make your spot disappear without refinishing the whole side of the guitar. Sand it out, feather the edges, match the stain and refinish. Spray equipment would help. Or just leave it alone.