The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Is Anyone Following The New Harmony Guitars? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682813)

fpuhan 03-06-2024 10:45 AM

Is Anyone Following The New Harmony Guitars?

Once the most recognized name in musical instruments, Harmony underwent some dips and changes in the 1970s after producing possibly more instruments than any other company since its founding in 1892. It resurfaced in 2018 under the new ownership of Singapore-based BandLab Technologies.

Oh no, "Not another offshore company!" you might bemoan. But in fact, USA made Harmony Guitars are built in Kalamazoo, Michigan by the Heritage Guitar Company. Heritage Guitars is also owned by BandLab.

Recently, I came across a video by Tim Pierce (ranked among the top ten session guitarists) playing a Harmony Jupiter Thinline, and while not being endorsed or sponsored by Harmony, he declared, "I'm keeping this one!" He's actually done a couple of videos featuring Harmony guitars. In this he talks about the Comet (< 8 minutes)

Made in USA. Priced reasonably (all electrics are US $1499)

So, what's not to like? Except there's no talk being heard.

mr. beaumont 03-06-2024 11:06 AM

I've yet to encounter one in person...they must not have the best distribution, as I can usually find almost everything here in Chicago.

Very cool aesthetic. Some of the old Chicago guitars (Harmony and Kay) were really great...and then of course, a lot were pretty awful.

fpuhan 03-06-2024 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 7422449)
I've yet to encounter one in person...they must not have the best distribution, as I can usually find almost everything here in Chicago.

Very cool aesthetic. Some of the old Chicago guitars (Harmony and Kay) were really great...and then of course, a lot were pretty awful.

I suspect they may currently be going the direct-to-consumer route. There is a "shopping cart" for each model on their web site. Sweetwater says they have them in stock (here), Guitar Center less so, Musician's Friend a mix of old and new, but a bit of a crap shoot with the smaller shops (CME, AMS, etc.).

Dadzmad 03-06-2024 06:18 PM

I've got a 1st year Juno. Build quality is as good or better than my 2019 LP Special. Nitro finished mahogany body and 3 bolt neck, ebony board, locking tuners, P90s, and 3 barrel thru body tele style bridge. Just volume with a pull up tone voicing and PU selector. Light and easier on my shoulder than my Tele or LP.

https://i.imgur.com/XJFSr4k.jpg

Parsons Street built pickups have these cheesy gold foil slots but they are nice P90s

https://i.imgur.com/79F0q0p.jpg

Kinda looks like a 50s Harmony model but its a different animal entirely. Its a nice simple, small. light, and cozy guitar that sounds great through a 5w tube amp.

Charlie Bernstein 03-07-2024 11:57 AM

Haven't played one, but I like what I've seen, read, and heard online.

Dave Hicks 03-08-2024 05:58 AM

If I'm in the Sweetwater showroom, I always pick up a Juno to play - very light and nicely built.

D.H.

Steve DeRosa 03-08-2024 06:36 AM

Frankly, I'm more intrigued by the new amp line - looks like a significantly more affordable alternative to the Fender Vintage Modified offerings - and the Reissue Series '60s-style hollowbodies...

67goat 03-09-2024 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa (Post 7423448)
Frankly, I'm more intrigued by the new amp line - looks like a significantly more affordable alternative to the Fender Vintage Modified offerings - and the Reissue Series '60s-style hollowbodies...

I ordered an H620 amp two years ago this month. I one day hope to actually get it.

Silly Moustache 03-09-2024 04:33 AM

Pity they aren't reproducing the flat tops and archtops!

Dave Hicks 03-09-2024 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67goat (Post 7424029)
I ordered an H620 amp two years ago this month. I one day hope to actually get it.

Sweetwater doesn't even list the amps - I suppose they're still in the vaporware category.

D.H.

rmp 03-11-2024 11:42 AM

uh oh,, this could spell trouble.

I really like this one.

L50EF15 03-17-2024 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 7424046)
Pity they aren't reproducing the flat tops and archtops!

Agreed. I actually emailed them to ask if they had plans to enter the budget archtop market. No response, but at least I am on their mailing list now.

29er 03-17-2024 12:08 PM

The semi hollow Comet looks interesting although it's a little smaller than a 335. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The pricing is great for US made instruments and the connection to Heritage and the old Gibson plant doesn't hurt.