The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Where to get bone in larger quantities? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538296)

packocrayons 02-16-2019 11:16 PM

Where to get bone in larger quantities?

For those that do lots of repairs, are there sources for bone in larger quantities? I'd love to get a big blue whale tooth or something cool that would last me a while, but I have no idea where to start looking.

Is the time saving of having an already squared up blank worth just buying blanks from stewmac?

nikpearson 02-17-2019 03:52 AM

Blue whales have baleen...

So you’re very unlikely to find a tooth available as they don’t exist!

Baleen whales feed using a hair like filter, baleen plates, first swallowing the food along with the water then forcing the water back out through the baleen. This leaves the meal on the right side of the baleen.

jazzizm 02-17-2019 03:54 AM

FYI, blue whales don’t have teeth, they have baleen plates.

B. Howard 02-17-2019 05:12 AM

Allparts sells packs of 15 and I am sure LMI would cut a deal on an order of 100 or more pieces.

Ben-Had 02-17-2019 06:56 AM

Bone

I get mine in sets of 10 from Philadelphia Luthiers Supply.

JonWint 02-17-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packocrayons (Post 5981897)
...I have no idea where to start looking.

Butcher, pet store

packocrayons 02-17-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikpearson (Post 5981958)
So you’re very unlikely to find a tooth available as they don’t exist!

Baleen whales feed using a hair like filter, baleen plates, first swallowing the food along with the water then forcing the water back out through the baleen. This leaves the meal on the right side of the baleen.

Duh, wrote this late at night and wasn't thinking.

I assume most of the bone we get is cow bone?

JonWint 02-17-2019 09:36 AM

from Bing:

"What kind of bone is used for guitar nuts?
Just about ANY bone with appropriate thickness can and has been used. The most common bone used in higher-end guitars in recent times is cow bone--usually from the femur and humerus bones, with some being cut from the pelvis, tibia, and sometimes even the radius of the forelegs. As long as it is dense, it works well."

Internet has search engines that work.

Frank Ford 02-17-2019 10:23 AM

Check in with my old pal, Christie Song, at Chrislin Trading - high quality, good prices, specify pretty much any size you want. She's been my most trusted source for a couple of decades.

Tell her I sent you. . .

Codfather 02-17-2019 03:57 PM

www.chrislintrading.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Ford (Post 5982172)
Check in with my old pal, Christie Song, at Chrislin Trading - high quality, good prices, specify pretty much any size you want. She's been my most trusted source for a couple of decades.

Tell her I sent you. . .

^^^^^^
same

bobhowell 02-20-2019 08:50 PM

I cut up my dogs bones which are from cow bone. Smells awful; wife has stopped me. Offered on ebay.

Many species of whales have teeth like sperm and killer whale. Out lawed like ivory

JDaniel 02-21-2019 05:30 AM

Another option - David Warther sells blanks and pre-shaped bone nuts/saddles. I've never had an issue with the quality which has been on the high-end, consistently, over the last 20 years. https://guitarpartsandmore.com/mainC...r-Nut-Blanks-1

bnjp 02-21-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packocrayons (Post 5981897)
Is the time saving of having an already squared up blank worth just buying blanks from stewmac?

The busier I get with repairs, the more I appreciate the nut blanks from Stewmac. I even have an assortment of precut/preslotted nuts for Fenders that I keep for quick work. There's a pretty good discount for wholesalers if you do enough volume.