The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Classical/Acoustic Hybrids (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382239)

microscope 04-04-2015 01:08 PM

Classical/Acoustic Hybrids

Hello,

Other than the Cordoba full-sized classical/acoustic hybrids which are cutaway with electronics - can anyone think of any classical/acoustic hybrids that won't brake the bank? Let's say under $1,000?
Minus the cutaway and electronics would be better.

Thanks

brucefulton 04-05-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microscope (Post 4437182)
Hello,

Other than the Cordoba full-sized classical/acoustic hybrids which are cutaway with electronics - can anyone think of any classical/acoustic hybrids that won't brake the bank? Let's say under $1,000?
Minus the cutaway and electronics would be better.

Thanks

If you don't want either the cutaway or the electronics, what hybrid features do you want?

ukejon 04-05-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucefulton (Post 4438601)
If you don't want either the cutaway or the electronics, what hybrid features do you want?

Good question....are you after a radiused fretboard, thinner nut and string spacing, a different body shape?

microscope 04-05-2015 02:06 PM

I like the feel and sound of the nylon strings but prefer the layout of an acoustic guitar - which is what the hybrid is basically about.
I'm just saying I don't need the cutout shape, electronics or exotic wood because I'm not planning to use it for plug-in performing or high-up picking/playing.
I assume it adds to the cost, so I'd rather that money go toward the quality of the guitar/sound.

bbrown 04-05-2015 02:25 PM

The Cervantes Crossover is nice. You can find them used for about $1500. It's over what you want to spend I know, but might be worth the jump in price.

Here's some info, specs, and a video...........http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/3...sover_1_99999/

microscope 04-05-2015 03:08 PM

A very nice guitar suggestion. On the expensive side for me, but not out of the question.

Thanks

brucefulton 04-05-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microscope (Post 4438796)
I like the feel and sound of the nylon strings but prefer the layout of an acoustic guitar - which is what the hybrid is basically about.
I'm just saying I don't need the cutout shape, electronics or exotic wood because I'm not planning to use it for plug-in performing or high-up picking/playing.
I assume it adds to the cost, so I'd rather that money go toward the quality of the guitar/sound.

I'm still not following what you mean by the "layout" of an acoustic guitar. A standard classical guitar is an acoustic guitar. So what specifically is it about a standard nylon string (classical) guitar that you don't want in the guitar you are looking for? What makes a hybrid is usually the cutaway and electronics. Other than that, a narrower nut width is about it. But those don't usually carry the "hybrid" label. Look for standard classical guitars from Martin, Taylor, Guild, Cordoba and so on with nut widths less than 2" standard classical width, say 1-7/8 or less.

microscope 04-05-2015 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucefulton (Post 4439223)
I'm still not following what you mean by the "layout" of an acoustic guitar. A standard classical guitar is an acoustic guitar. So what specifically is it about a standard nylon string (classical) guitar that you don't want in the guitar you are looking for? What makes a hybrid is usually the cutaway and electronics. Other than that, a narrower nut width is about it. But those don't usually carry the "hybrid" label. Look for standard classical guitars from Martin, Taylor, Guild, Cordoba and so on with nut widths less than 2" standard classical width, say 1-7/8 or less.

If you want to know what the hybrid concept entails just read the following example - the 12/14 Jet Cordoba: (not sure if we're allowed links?)
http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/1214-jet
1) thinner necks
2) smaller nut width
3) less width between frets
4) option of 14 frets to the body
5) radiused fingerboard
6) higher tension strings

The cutaway option and electronics are not what I'm interested in primarily.
It's more the above factors.
Although it's not true there will be no upper register playing/soloing which is where the 14 fret option comes in.
Not sure I can be more clear than this.
*I'm not pushing this model, I'm just using it as an example to explain what I mean.

maddchase 04-05-2015 08:41 PM

The Cordoba Orchestra Pro models in the fusion line is without a cutaway and has electronics. Comes with either spruce or cedar top as well.

hesson11 04-05-2015 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucefulton (Post 4439223)
A standard classical guitar is an acoustic guitar.

THANK YOU! I wish I knew how "acoustic guitar" came to be synonymous with "steel-string guitar."
-Bob

ukejon 04-06-2015 06:30 AM

Quote:

If you want to know what the hybrid concept entails just read the following example - the 12/14 Jet Cordoba: (not sure if we're allowed links?)
Bruce certainly knows what a hybrid or crossover is. He was merely suggesting that your non-cutaway, non-electronic demand is a bit at odds with most manufactured crossovers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddchase (Post 4439249)
The Cordoba Orchestra Pro models in the fusion line is without a cutaway and has electronics. Comes with either spruce or cedar top as well.

Good find. This electrified crossover may be one of the few non-cutaway options in that price range.

bbrown 04-06-2015 07:02 AM

I think of "acoustic" as meaning steel string and "classical" as nylon with a wide nut width and fingerboard. I know this is not correct, but it does seem to have become common parlance.

The "hybrid" would be a nylon string guitar with a narrow nut width and fretboard, plus thinner neck profile. That's how the terms seem to be used.

I just bought a Cervantes Crossover I, a hybrid, after having played only steel string. Adapting to nylon has been pretty easy.

Here's the specs on the Cervantes Crossover:

Body Size: Medium
Scale: 650 mm (25.6 in.)
Nut Width: 47.8 mm (1.9 in)
String Spacing: 55.6 mm (2.2 in)
Body Length: 19 1/4 in.
Upper Bout: 10 3/4 in.
Lower Bout: 14 1/8 in.
Body Depth @Neck Heel: 3 3/4 in.
Body Depth @Tail Block: 3 3/4 in.
Frets to body: 12

brucefulton 04-06-2015 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microscope (Post 4439248)
http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/1214-jet
1) thinner necks
2) smaller nut width
3) less width between frets
4) option of 14 frets to the body
5) radiused fingerboard
6) higher tension strings

The cutaway option and electronics are not what I'm interested in primarily.
It's more the above factors.
Although it's not true there will be no upper register playing/soloing which is where the 14 fret option comes in.
Not sure I can be more clear than this.
*I'm not pushing this model, I'm just using it as an example to explain what I mean.

Yeah, but I don't think you can actually buy that model without the cutaway and electronics, in spite of what the product page says. Maybe you can special order it.

Anyway, you are being much more clear with this message than you are with your previous ones. You want a narrower nut, basically. As I said, check standard classical guitars from Martin, Taylor and so on with 1-7/8 or less nut widths. The necks will be thin. Probably not radiused, but you won't notice that much with nylon strings because of the lower tension.

Otherwise, you'll probably need to buy the electronics and cutaway to get the other features even if you don't want them. that's marketing for you.

Or, maybe you'll find something. Most hybrid guitars labeles as such come with the cutaway and electronics, but there are classicals with narrower nuts, especially from the traditional steel string acoustic manufacturers.

zhunter 04-06-2015 08:22 AM

We want what we want. I understand. I would like to throw in on the hybrid discussion in general. I play electric, steel string acoustic and nylon string acoustic and acoustic electric. I play em in all shapes and sizes, fingers only, pick and hybrid picking. Beyond a doubt, the best playing nylon strings I own are those with conventional nylon string necks. I find the wide spacing, wide fat neck, and flat board all fit together really well with nylon string applications. Caveat I only play nylon with fingers, no picks please.

Even though picking up a hybrid will breed a quicker sense of familiarity, the little extra work it takes to get used to a classical/flamenco neck will pay off in playability later as your technique catches up. And, it is not unusual to find the better sounding guitars are not the hybrids. Especially if electronics and amplification are not of interest.

hunter

Rudy4 04-09-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddchase (Post 4439249)

My Cordoba Fusion Orchestra came as a non-cutaway and without electronics. It's a splended instrument.

It's shown on my crossover guitar page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageGuitarCrossover.html