The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Amplification for occasional open mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607984)

MikeBmusic 02-23-2021 12:40 PM

As an open mic host, I hate it when people show up with a guitar with no pickup. I keep one of the 'woody' soundhole pickups that slides into place, just in case. When I have to mic them it takes longer to set up, harder to control their sound (everyone moves a little) and if they are fingerpicking, just exacerbates the issue.

Big Band Guitar 02-23-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hahn (Post 6644772)
Bad pickups do a fine job of screwing up the sound without any help from us sound persons. While firm, solid playing on a reasonable instrument will sound good with just a mic, lovely-but-tiny fingerpicking has no chance without a pickup. And if I look at you funny, well, I look at everyone funny. Not singling you out.

I have great respect for sound persons who know their business. You seem to want to get the best sound possible.

I guess I'm just a pain in the butt to work with.

Big Band Guitar 02-23-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 6644780)
As an open mic host, I hate it when people show up with a guitar with no pickup. I keep one of the 'woody' soundhole pickups that slides into place, just in case. When I have to mic them it takes longer to set up, harder to control their sound (everyone moves a little) and if they are fingerpicking, just exacerbates the issue.

With respect to you as a soundperson who seems to know what their doing. I would never let anyone put anything in or on my instrument.

Brent Hahn 02-23-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar (Post 6644854)
With respect to you as a soundperson who seems to know what their doing. I would never let anyone put anything in or on my instrument.

Many venues have a crew-doesn't-touch-instruments policy, mainly due to liability issues.

rockabilly69 02-23-2021 04:53 PM

Seymour Duncan Mag mic, Fishman Rare Earth Blend, or Scherltler AG6 with the mic option, are all great options for when you don't want to permanently install a pickup permanently. You can have your luthier put a small mini jack inside your guitar to plug in when you want the pickup.

phcorrigan 02-23-2021 05:29 PM

I have a K&K in in my HD-28V and a JJB in my Shenadoah. Both do well, but I always use them through my ToneDexter, although the JJB output level is a bit lower than the K&K. I have battery power for the ToneDexter so that I can get on and off stage quickly at open mics.

The only issue I've had with jack is that the diameter is too large for most straps, but the MusicNomad Acousti-Lok Strap Lock Adapter solved this problem for me.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...d-output-jacks

roylor4 02-25-2021 11:30 AM

Either take the Taylor or get a Seymour Duncan Woody XL (not the regular Woody). It is a very warm sounding pickup for a mag and the XL has adjustable pole pieces to even out string volume disparity. Installs/comes out in less than a minute. I have one and it sounds great, but in 2019 I was gigging 2x a week and did a semi-permanent install of a Dearmond Tone Boss - hotter, but not as warm as the SD.

Goat Mick 02-26-2021 04:55 PM

It’s an open mic so make it as easy as possible. Install a K&K or JJB (I have both but like the JJB better) and be done with it. Plug straight into the guitar and play. The important thing is to be set up and off the stage as quickly as possible. The more stuff you carry up there with you, the more it distracts from your performance.

SkaMar 02-27-2021 11:19 AM

How about Carlos CS-sensor

Consider this solution (around 300USD)

CS-sensor by Carlos

https://cs-sensor.eu/

Br1ck 02-27-2021 05:32 PM

I'm the guy 6L6 refers to with the Dazzos in my D 35, and also in my 00 15 and my Texan, and my Guild D 35, and my two Ponos. Let's say I'm a fan. But you need to go all in on whatever adhesive Teddy says to use. Vancebo and others have put Dazzos in their guitars, and Teddy is a phone call away. There are techs in the area that use tape. That is the equivalent to having a 65mph limiter on a Ferrari.

But when you say occasional open mic, that might be your mindset now. I'm involved in running one and our goal is making it a good enough experience you'll be comfortable coming back for. Most of the time. That has a lot to do with sound and the regulars. We have taken great care in our PA and monitor setup. That includes having SunnAudio DI for two guitars. But you need to have a DI or Pre, and with Dazzos you'll need little or no EQ in an open mic situation. We also run three mics. Another plus for us running the PA is that Dazzos are plug and play. You get nothing but a volume check. We are pretty good at dialing in K&Ks, but it's on the fly.

You might have a problem with a hole drilled in your guitar for a jack. Don't, especially if you've seen damage stepping on a cable can do to a soundhole.

SunnAudio has a new Stage DI in the works that is more of a stomp box. I'd recommend that with Dazzos every day. I get the investment issue, but you buy once. Hopefully you'll get a lot of use and it will pay over time. You get a cord and tell whoever is running the show, set everything flat.

Another reason to find an open mic is it will give purpose to your practice. Right now there are some Zoom open mics, but they are poor substitutes for the real thing. But you can start a zoom meeting with only yourself, and record it. Then self criticize. Also realize you'll be your own worst critic. Also realize, EVERYONE will have a flame out once in a while. Seasoned performers and newbies alike will crash and burn.

Whatever you choose will likely work fine. Get through half a dozen open mics and things get comfortable.

phcorrigan 02-27-2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br1ck (Post 6648849)
Right now there are some Zoom open mics, but they are poor substitutes for the real thing.

I would disagree. I participate in a couple of open mics weekly. I wouldn't say they are poor substitutes, they are just different. Those I participate in use a round-robin approach, with each participant playing a single song per round with multiple rounds as time permits.

There is a learning curve and, for many, some gear acquisition. The learning curve involves not only learning the ins and outs of using Zoom for music, it also involves learning how to set up your equipment properly. The gear acquisition may involve investing in mics, stands, mixers, audio interfaces, webcams, or other gear.

Over this year of lock-down I and my fellow Zoom open mic participants have vastly improved our audio and some of us have also improved our video. Believe it or not, it has also built a stronger sense of community than that that existed before COVID, partly because we have all been helping each other with our sound.

If you have not participated in a Zoom open mic I heartily suggest trying it.

Methos1979 02-28-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phcorrigan (Post 6649056)
I would disagree. I participate in a couple of open mics weekly. I wouldn't say they are poor substitutes, they are just different. Those I participate in use a round-robin approach, with each participant playing a single song per round with multiple rounds as time permits.

There is a learning curve and, for many, some gear acquisition. The learning curve involves not only learning the ins and outs of using Zoom for music, it also involves learning how to set up your equipment properly. The gear acquisition my involve investing in mics, stands, mixers, audio interfaces, webcams, or other gear.

Over this year of lock-down I and my fellow Zoom open mic participants have vastly improved our audio and some of us have also improved our video. Believe it or not, it has also built a stronger sense of community than that that existed before COVID, partly because we have all been helping each other with our sound.

If you have not participated in a Zoom open mic I heartily suggest trying it.

I completely agree with the above! I started the AGF Open Mic Facebook group almost a year ago and we meet usually bi-weekly on Sunday afternoon/evenings and it's been a lot of fun. It really only differs from an actual open mic in that it's not as nerve-wracking for newbies because you're in the comfort and safe confines of your own home. We have all levels and the regulars have become good friends. Although the group is on Facebook we actually meet on ZOOM and do simultaneous live stream to Facebook so previous shows can viewed realtime or after the fact.

You can check out our shows by clicking down in my sig line and requesting to join. It is for AGF members only and it's private so no one can find the group from outside which newbies also prefer. I do miss the open mics of the olden days and look forward to a time when we can go back to them but I also see the ZOOM open mic I run continuing as long as people continue to attend and participate!

tbirdman 02-28-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br1ck (Post 6648849)
I'm the guy 6L6 refers to with the Dazzos in my D 35, and also in my 00 15 and my Texan, and my Guild D 35, and my two Ponos. Let's say I'm a fan. But you need to go all in on whatever adhesive Teddy says to use. Vancebo and others have put Dazzos in their guitars, and Teddy is a phone call away. There are techs in the area that use tape. That is the equivalent to having a 65mph limiter on a Ferrari.

I've read great things about Dazzo. I like the idea of having limited stuff inside the guitar. So if I went with Dazzo or another similar type of product like K&K mini, I would go with a preamp outside the guitar. Your thoughts on that approach. What ever happened to the tape experiments with Dazzos?

varmonter 02-28-2021 07:14 PM

i tried a few times to plug a kk mini into whatever the open mic offered.
i was mostly dissapointed.
kk needs preamp and eq prior to
a board and it must go into 1mgohm.
ill go out on a limb saying i dont
think youll be happy with any
sbt at an open mic unless you
drag some outboard gear
with you...which is usually
frowned upon.. i use a sunrise
soundhole pickup and it always
sounds decent.

rllink 03-01-2021 09:44 AM

I have not done a lot of open mic in a lot of different venues. I've done a few at music festivals, but before the unmentionable I was doing three of them locally each week. All three, when it was your turn you went up, plugged in, maybe did a little intro and played your two songs. Then you got off the stage because the next person was getting announced and on the way up. Not a lot of time for dinking around. I never saw anyone bring in their own sound system. I realize different venues do it differently but that has been my experience.