The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   80/20’s....meh or yea? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556833)

Slothead56 09-05-2019 05:07 AM

80/20’s....meh or yea?

I have used PB Lights on pretty much every guitar since 1974. Just like the way they sound and feel. Predictable.

Goaded by the AGF (I have to blame someone!) I put 80/20’s on my HD 28vs. Yikes! This is a different guitar! To my aging ears they sound more mellow, less “snappy” and feel lighter than light.

Not sure if I’m in for the long haul as I tend to not mess with success (I also only ever play Fender Medium picks....since 1974) but it is interesting to occasionally “take a walk on the wild side”.

Opinions and comments?

JayBee1404 09-05-2019 05:08 AM

Meh. Sorry... :wink:

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

rokdog49 09-05-2019 05:15 AM

I use Gibson Masterbuilt 80-20 Lights, a.k.a. GHS Bright Bronze on my J45.
I have read these are the stock string on all new Gibson Acoustic Guitars.
I have tried other strings on that guitar. The only ones I really would chose over the 80-20's are Martin Titaniums but at $39.99 a set, I usually ask for them as a Christmas present.

Brucebubs 09-05-2019 05:23 AM

They're OK on my Honda UMS425U.

https://i.imgur.com/l7kcMpQm.jpg

Treenewt 09-05-2019 05:35 AM

Like pretty much everything on this forum, it depends on the guitar and the player. I have tried them on every guitar I’ve owned, and not been very impressed...until I tried them on my Larrivee OM-03 recently. They were initially quite bright, but after a little play, they settled in and sound quite nice! Mellow, but nice. I like them better (on this guitar) than Nickel Bronze, which were my go-to on others.

So they may not be the right string for your HD28, but they might be for someone else’s. You never know til ya try.

Plus...they’re dang cheap. ;-)

Rosewood99 09-05-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treenewt (Post 6154710)
Like pretty much everything on this forum, it depends on the guitar and the player. I have tried them on every guitar I’ve owned, and not been very impressed...until I tried them on my Larrivee OM-03 recently. They were initially quite bright, but after a little play, they settled in and sound quite nice! Mellow, but nice. I like them better (on this guitar) than Nickel Bronze, which were my go-to on others.

So they may not be the right string for your HD28, but they might be for someone else’s. You never know til ya try.

Plus...they’re dang cheap. ;-)

What he said.

Silly Moustache 09-05-2019 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For me ... Meh!

but - the only 80/20s I buy are Martin 12 strings M190s for my Harmony H1270
It seems right somehow.

Wade Hampton 09-05-2019 06:14 AM

Slothead, John Pearse 80/20 strings are what I use on about a third of the guitars I own. The Pearse phosphors are what I use on more than half the rest, with a couple of instruments strung with nickel alloy.

Whenever an instrument that’s new to me shows up, I try those three alloys in quick succession, never leaving any of these first test sets on for more than a week, and usually pulling them off in three or four days. I do that so I can hear them at their best and compare fresh sets to other fresh sets so I can have a reasonable basis for comparison.

Anyway, the 80/20 strings are the best-sounding choice more often than you might guess, but I can’t accurately predict which guitars will sound best with them ahead of time, which is why I always have that R&D period when I test the different alloys. To give you one example, the Martin Custom Shop D-18 I bought used has an Adirondack spruce top on it, and I felt certain that either phosphors or nickel strings would sound the best on that guitar. Which is why I tried the 80/20’s last.

I was astonished with how good they sounded. The 80/20’s not only sang on the treble response but also gave much better definition to the bass strings, thus boosting the perceived bass response.

In fact, I was so surprised, and couldn’t quite believe that the 80/20’s sounded that good on that guitar that I ran the whole test sequence over again: a set each of phosphors, then nickel, then 80/20’s.

Same result.

So John Pearse 80/20’s are what have been on that guitar ever since.

Short version: 80/20 alloy strings are an excellent choice on some instruments, which is why I always give them a try even when I’m pretty sure that I’ll like some other alloy better.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: The reason that those 80/20 strings on your guitar feel easier to play is that most 80/20 alloys generate a bit less tension than phosphor bronze does. It’s not a huge difference, but it’s enough that it’s noticeable when you play.

jpd 09-05-2019 06:15 AM

Another , "Meh".....give me 92/8 anytime:guitar:

Goat Mick 09-05-2019 07:00 AM

I'm not a fan of 80/20's at all. I haven't used them since I was introduced to John Pearse Phosphor Bronze strings in the late 80's. Every time I've tried 80/20's on a guitar since I've been disappointed. I just like the richness in the PB tone.

MikeBmusic 09-05-2019 07:04 AM

It's what I use, sound best on my Taylor.

Max23 09-05-2019 07:31 AM

I use GHS 80/20's on my D-28, it seems to accentuate the treble notes nicely.

Looking forward to trying them on the D-18 too, but it's only seen PB's and Nickel Bronze sets so far.

My Taylor 414ce is currently sporting GHS 80/20's. But I go back and forth with PB's on it, still trying to decide what sounds best.

Jaden 09-05-2019 07:34 AM

80/20s are the only strings that exist - across the board for neutral, clear and less tension with nice feel. It’s my default string (old standard EJ11s). I won’t go near PB with a 10ft pole. If I strummed with a pick - that’s an unknown universe but ain’t going there. Nowadays it’s all Martin Retro 11-52 even more clear and softer feel.

redir 09-05-2019 07:39 AM

You thought the 80/20's sounded more mellow? Interesting. I use 80/20's almost exclusively because they are bright and in your face. PB's sound like used strings by comparison. The John Pearse 80/20's are the brightest strings I've ever used. So much so in fact that I don't like them till they are at least a week old.

eshrager 09-05-2019 08:21 AM

I have always liked and used PB's on my guitars - 80/20's just don't do it for me.

A couple of years ago I bought a Froggy Bottom C ADI over EIR. When I first played it it sounded fantastic - it confirmed what people had been saying about Froggys.

It needed some minor repairs and a setup, so I left it with my luthier to do the work.

When I got it back, it sounded like crap - muddy, flabby, unfocused, etc. In looking at the string wrappers left in the case, I saw that it was strung with PB's instead of the 80-20's it had come with. A quick switch over and just like that the magic was back. To this day I am amazed at the difference between the two types of strings. Apparently 80/20's are the string of choice of Froggy Bottom and most if not all of the guitars coming out of their shop come with them.