The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Headphone Amp for Pedalboard? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537462)

capohk 02-09-2019 04:46 AM

Headphone Amp for Pedalboard?

I want something to sound reasonably like an amp/cab combo through headphones so that I can practice silently with the rig I use on stage. I am currently using a Vox Amplug but it is noisy and not really making the most of quite a nice rig (currently Wampler Tumnus>King of Tone>Analogman Mini Chorus)

I don't really want to buy an amp just to use the headphone out. A pedal sized thing would be perfect, especially if I can input some backing tracks from an iPad to play along with.

Cheers

Sonics 02-09-2019 05:25 AM

...and it's cheap!

This tool will do any and everything (...including headphone amplification).

Oh yeah, it eats batteries so you'll need the mains adaptor.

muscmp 02-09-2019 11:33 AM

it was either musician's friend or guitar center who had a headphone amp as their daily deal. you may want to check them out as well as your local CL.

play music!

YamahaGuy 02-09-2019 09:22 PM

I have a little Behringer unit that I use it was like $30 or so. AC adapter included. Has XLR in/thru, mic level and 1/4" in and control. Will accept 1/4 and/or 1/8" and works in stereo or mono.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ohT1sb_Z-RlIu-

candyman 02-09-2019 10:19 PM

I’d check out the quilter micro block - has headphones/aux and is pedal sized. It can drive a speaker caninet if needed. Sounds great.

perttime 02-10-2019 03:31 AM

There's many preamps that will do that. My latest bookmarks are the Laney Ironheart IRT Pulse and Two Notes' Le Clean and Le Crunch pedals with tubes.

paulp1960 02-10-2019 09:34 AM

Maybe a cheap Behringer 6:2 mixer? You would get a powerful headphone amp and the ability to mix a stereo aux input with your guitar sounds.

Rudy4 02-11-2019 08:48 AM

The Zoom G1on multi-effects pedal has a great headphone amp built in, plus you get drums and even a 30 second looper for around $60.

capohk 02-16-2019 08:29 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I'd like to keep it analogue if I can. The Laney unit looks interesting and the Le Clean unit looks awesome, but maybe a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I have a little mixer that I'll try, but the cab emulator and tube preamp are mighty tempting

Blunote 02-21-2019 07:22 AM

Some years ago, I traveled overseas for work. Like you, I needed something I could practice with silently.

I took a Boss ME-25 guitar effects board. It has a headphone jack and ran off battery or 9v DC. Gave me all kinds of modeling and effects. I really enjoyed it.

You can use this, or another model or something from another manufacturer. There’s lots to choose from.

capohk 02-23-2019 11:32 PM

Well, this morning, my 7-year-old and I jammed together silently through my Roland AC33. I plugged my pedal board out into the guitar channel and Ben put his TD4K drum kit through the mic channel. We split the headphone out with one of those cheap 1-2 splitters and had volume to spare in the cans. Guitar sounded surprisingly good, even without a cab sim.

The only thing I noticed was that when he dug in, the guitar volume attenuated. Not sure why, maybe the mixer would be a good way to go for a more permanent set up.

The Yamaha AG03 is available for a good price locally - it would give us the ability to record our session too.

This was the first time Ben had played amped up with another instrument. He had that big beaming smile that I remember having on my first experience making electric musical noise. I guess he's hooked now ;-)