The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Horses for courses - didn't like Pod Go - Love the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 V2 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602615)

roylor4 12-31-2020 02:41 PM

Horses for courses - didn't like Pod Go - Love the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 V2

So, a month or two ago I bought a Pod Go. It was a nice and substantial feeling piece of gear. Good hardware, smooth switches, etc. Reviewed it here. Wanted to like it, just didn't.

I bought it as a piece of gigging gear, but found it unwieldy to use and to program. Sounds were fine, but too much tap dancing to use and too many steps to program it (just IMHO - I'm not really a modeling, electronic tweaker kinda guy). Sent it back.

Fast forward, my wife got me a Tech 21 Sansamp Fly Rig for X-mas. Ran it through the PA and I was immediately impressed. Great cleans. Edge of breakup tones are good, but not fabulous. The dirty channel is one of the best I've heard through any modeler and I prefer the Cali setting. Grungy with a tight bottom end, truly satisfying. The boost was useful on both channels, but more on the Plexi channel than the clean one.

The delay was a new one for me, and honestly, never been a delay guy. After messing with it, I found that using the the 1/8 note setting and engaging the "drift" button that it gives a sound 1/2 way 'twixt Chorus and Tremolo. Not quite the "Surf sound" of heavy verb & trem, but close enough for me and therefore, probably good enough for the ears of casual listeners. The reverb is also very good.

In short, I found a great amp replacement that doesn't do everything, but does everything that I need for live gigs. It should be considered heavily for those that love their tube amps but need a backup in case of tube/component failure - this thing could end up being a lifesaver for ya'll and weighs about a pound.

Keep in mind, I'm not dissing the Go and I know for direct recording it is likely far more versatile, just not what I needed. I also wanted folks to know if you are considering the Tech 21 Fly Rig that I believe it to be an extremely valuable piece of kit for a primary or back-up rig.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Chickee 01-04-2021 08:26 AM

What does the expression “horses for courses” actually mean or refer to? I’ve never heard that before.

Marley 01-04-2021 09:38 AM

I've had a RK Fly Rig for a few years. For much of that time it was simply on my pedal board as my distortion + pedal. But I have run it straight into a PA on several occasions and it gets the job done for sure. Quality and nice little pedal.

roylor4 01-04-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickee (Post 6595222)
What does the expression “horses for courses” actually mean or refer to? I’ve never heard that before.

The right tool for a particular job. The Pod Go seems like a great recording tool, but portability and even more importantly ease of use is a very important factor for me as a gigging musician (or was pre-virus). Our gigging vehicle is a Corolla, so space is sparse and precious. We can use 1 powered speaker, bass amp and guitar amp, but 2 powered speakers will not fit with both types of amps in the trunk. The back seat is already full with a banjo, an acoustic, a bass and an electric.

I honestly prefer the tone of a tube or tube/hybrid amp but I also recognize that most people cannot differentiate between a tube amp, a GOOD SS amp, or a GOOD amp simulator. For some gigs, and maybe for most, I will definitely prefer using the Fly Rig. At 57, I ain't old, but I prefer fewer trips to the car if possible - especially if it doesn't cost me a lot of tone.

Very good cleans, GREAT dirty, nice reverb, delay and a clean boost all in one pedal. Simple with great tone. Nice to keep in the bag as a potential backup as well.

Chickee 01-05-2021 06:34 PM

Thank you roylor4 for the explanation.

As for FlyRigs, tech21 makes a few flavors of those if I’m not mistaken, even one for acoustic guitars?

I like the small footprint and the way they block off the sections of the board to perform the different functions. I only had the opportunity to try the Richie Kotzen(?)board at the shop for a few minutes. It seems very well made and sturdy. It was a lot of distortion type of sounds, not really my style but I would like to try the others tech21 has available at some point.

roylor4 01-05-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickee (Post 6596624)
Thank you roylor4 for the explanation.

As for FlyRigs, tech21 makes a few flavors of those if I’m not mistaken, even one for acoustic guitars?

I like the small footprint and the way they block off the sections of the board to perform the different functions. I only had the opportunity to try the Richie Kotzen(?)board at the shop for a few minutes. It seems very well made and sturdy. It was a lot of distortion type of sounds, not really my style but I would like to try the others tech21 has available at some point.

Yeah, the Kotzen rig seems like more of a thing for metal heads, which I am not. Blues and Classic Rock along with some old school Surf Music is my thing. Given the quality of the Tech 21 gear, I will definitely consider their acoustic pre-amp too, as I will be upgrading that soon as well.

southpaw pete 01-22-2021 09:40 AM

Thanks for the review! I have owned and enjoyed several pieces of gear from Tech 21 over the years (still have the Liverpool pedal).

For my electric rig at my church I use a decent sized pedalboard (PT2) into a Peavey 210 Delta Blues. Sounds great, but sometimes hard to keep at a reasonable volume. Also not convenient for setting up for a quick practice here and there.

I'd been considering the flyrig lately, for just running direct at my church (as long as I have a good level in the monitor), but also using it to record, practice at home... seems like a lot of good uses, and being so nice and small, itd be simple to tote along and set up quick and easy.

I've got lots going on with my large pedalboard, but really, im thinking the flyrig probably covers 90% of what I'd usually use. Very well thought out.

AeroUSA 01-23-2021 11:58 PM

I love the Flyrig portability and the cleans but I do not care for the overdrive sounds. I wish I did because it would make my life so easy.

roylor4 01-24-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroUSA (Post 6613232)
I love the Flyrig portability and the cleans but I do not care for the overdrive sounds. I wish I did because it would make my life so easy.

That's too bad. I love the dirty channel and use the Cali setting. I play quite a bit of Classic Rock - think AC/DC, Green Day, Nirvana -and it's an excellent fit. It may be over the top for folks that just want a tad of dirt though. I have not used it at a gig yet, but intend to as soon as folks start wanting live music again. I also like the form factor and may upgrade my acoustic preamp to a Tech 21 as well. I have been using the cheap Behringer ADI21 - it has been rugged and reliable but has no effects and limited features.

roylor4 01-31-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroUSA (Post 6613232)

BTW Aaron, the overdriven sounds alone are a bit thin and anemic. When you stack them ON TOP of the Blonde setting, you get a great OD tone (IMO only). This is a common and well known issue with the FlyRig.