The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Need recommendations on a guitar to take & leave in Africa (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238934)

815C 01-14-2012 09:20 AM

Need recommendations on a guitar to take & leave in Africa

I'm gonna be returning to Uganda this year and want to take a guitar with me that I can leave there for some gifted musician. I'm thinking a carbon fiber guitar would be a good choice as it seems it would hold up to the extreme climate there (hot hot hot - its right on the equator).

I have two questions:

1. Are the glued components of these guitars susceptible to heat? For instance, I'm wondering how long a glued on bridge would endure in that climate.

2. Do you have any recommendations for a specific brand?

Thanks!

SteelPastor 01-14-2012 07:23 PM

I would say... whatever you can find at a used price!

However, bang-for-the-buck wise, it would be difficult to beat an Emerald X7 or even an X5. Both come new with a gig bag for around $800.

Tough to beat.

SpruceTop 01-14-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 815C (Post 2898091)
I'm gonna be returning to Uganda this year and want to take a guitar with me that I can leave there for some gifted musician. I'm thinking a carbon fiber guitar would be a good choice as it seems it would hold up to the extreme climate there (hot hot hot - its right on the equator).

I have two questions:

1. Are the glued components of these guitars susceptible to heat? For instance, I'm wondering how long a glued on bridge would endure in that climate.

2. Do you have any recommendations for a specific brand?

Thanks!

1) Bridges on RainSong carbon guitars are not only glued on but they are also screwed on with three small nuts and bolts. Do the screws affect tone? Not that I can tell. Also, the glues on carbon guitars are susceptible to heat but I think its in excess of a long-term 120 degrees or so Fahrenheit. I wouldn't leave a carbon guitar, or any guitar, out in direct sunlight in the Tropics, or in latitudes beyond when the sun is at its zenith. In other words, a carbon guitar will last a lifetime in equatorial Africa with modest effort in care. Ashvin Coomar, RainSong President and AGF sponsor, could better answer your question.

2) I've only owned RainSong and pre-Peavey CA carbon guitars. I like the quality and tone of RainSong better.

A player should treat a carbon guitar as they would a fine wooden guitar except for the attention to relative humidity. Although a carbon guitar is more likely to survive a bump or fall that would damage a wooden guitar, they are not made to be abused and if treated decently they'll reward an owner with a lifetime of pretty much carefree play.

Regards,

RainDance (aka SpruceTop when lignified)

kramster 01-15-2012 07:48 AM

My guitars have gottin' a bit warm..ok hot here in Phoenix...seems ok to me... might be tuff on strings if it is humid though

dkoloff 01-15-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelPastor (Post 2898733)

I would say... whatever you can find at a used price!

However, bang-for-the-buck wise, it would be difficult to beat an Emerald X7 or even an X5. Both come new with a gig bag for around $800.

Tough to beat.

Emerald would be a great guitar as everything is molded in the process if you are worried about the humidity there. X7OS is the model to run with....the OS really upped the sound versus the x7

SteelPastor 01-15-2012 04:48 PM

I agree... an OS would be the way to go.

dhbret 01-16-2012 07:29 AM

Can I ask when you are going? Our team is planning on a trip to Uganda in October. I'll probably be taking my Cargo and my fellow guitarist has a CA crown of thorns model.
Bret

815C 01-16-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhbret (Post 2900373)
Can I ask when you are going? Our team is planning on a trip to Uganda in October. I'll probably be taking my Cargo and my fellow guitarist has a CA crown of thorns model.
Bret

Kampala and Masaka. The folks there are awesome - but have so very little. That's why I'd like to leave a guitar there this time.