The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Genzler Acoustic Array Pro (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667206)

J.R. Rogers 03-25-2023 04:36 PM

Genzler Acoustic Array Pro

I've been playing through the Genzler Acoustic Array Pro for a few hours and here are some of my initial impressions of this little wonder.

Build quality is high. The amp seems tough - especially the stout metal grille on the front. At a gig, this amp could probably handle all the bumps you can expect, knocking a chair into it, etc., without damage. The knobs seem like they might be solid aluminum and their cutaway design makes it really easy to see your settings from a distance. Very nice design. The whole package is tilted upward just a little bit probably to project sound better but also enough to make the knobs easier to reach and there's plenty of room to put stuff north of the handle to prevent it from sliding.

Fits on a standard speaker stand with the bottom pole mount

Probably the most natural sound I've heard on an acoustic amp and even sounds a notch better than my Rane/Daedalus setup, which I didn't think anything could beat. The 10" speaker + 4 x 2.5" line array really does deliver the tightest, most pure sound I think I've heard.

Exceptional vocal quality - This amp really, really shines on vocals and as a person who plays through a PA system at home almost daily, this shocked me. Very natural. It's your voice - louder. (I'm using a Telefunken M80 mic) I have everything set in the middle and I didn't need to adjust anything to make it sound phenomenal. Genzler has a great demo on their YouTube site with a female vocalist who sounds wonderful through this thing and I didn't believe it at first but, yes - it really does sound that good.

Effects - The effects are pretty subtle and seem perfectly matched to the nature of this amp. There's a master knob for adjusting the rate of the each of the chorus and reverb effects and each channel has its own independent controls for these two.

Robust sound - Seems like an extension of your instrument. Even pushing the volume the amp remains natural sounding and it never feels like these speakers are at the edge of insanity. They do their job in a solid fashion.

No tweeters - This is possibly one of the reasons this amp sounds so good. It uses a line array of 4 x 2.5" drivers instead for the highs and I like that it stays balanced sounding with the bass. Never harsh - not anywhere in the room.

No hiss, no hum - Unlike most every consumer-grade amp out there, this thing is silent and I'm picky about this.

Loud enough on its own but there is an extension speaker available that boosts the overall power to 300w from 175w.

Comprehensive EQ on both identical channels - includes contour control and adjustable mid frequency EQ.

Comprehensive I/O - The I/O section is designed with sound reinforcement in mind. There is a separate pre-EQ output for each of the two channels and ALSO a mix output. There is also an effects loop and AUX input and bluetooth can easily be added via the AUX input. There is a separate speaker output for the extension speaker and a jack for a footswitch to control the effects.

In conclusion - This is a high-grade amp and is equal to the quality of sound that you would expect from a high-end acoustic guitar. It truly seems like this amp was built with fine acoustic guitars in mind but it also claims to work well with a variety of acoustic instruments. I'm inclined to believe them as the designer also specializes in good bass amps, but I will have to try some other instruments and follow-up. Huge thanks is due to Jeff Genzler for making a great acoustic amp that just takes your acoustic tone and makes it louder.

Thank you to my dealer, Barnett Music Exchange in Tulsa, Oklahoma for fast and friendly service:
https://www.barnettmusicexchange.com/

Read more about the amp here:
https://www.genzleramplification.com...tic-array-pro/

https://genzleramps.wpenginepowered....-ARRAY-PRO.jpg

Jeff Genzler and his Acoustic Array Pro
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4614/3...8a6592bb_c.jpg

JR

martingitdave 03-25-2023 08:54 PM

Great review! I owned the mini version which was also an excellent amp. I got the itch for something else and, frankly, should have kept the Genzler. Really great sounding gear.

jseth 03-25-2023 11:19 PM

Great review, JR!

So... you didn't like it much, huh?!!! Your excitement was easily discerned...

Do you know how heavy it is? How does it feel when you pick it up, balanced or awkward?

Good to know there are some serious quality acoustic amps out there... thanks for the report!

(Great song on the demo, too!)

Peter Z 03-26-2023 01:23 AM

Weight: 27 LBS (12.24 Kg)
From the Genzler homepage.

rockabilly69 03-26-2023 01:37 AM

I had one, and couldn't bond with it. I prefer the Schertler sound for my style and my guitars. I found I was always messing with the EQ chasing something, as the tone of it never seemed to be what I wanted to hear. I also didn't like the layout, as I found twiddling the knobs was hard with the front panel mount controls. I set my amp to the right of me, and it was just too hard to do. I couldn't distinguish what control was what. I also didn't like the tilted top, As I said, I didn't bond with it, but...

I sold it to a full-time musician friend, and he absolutely LOVES it. He always reminds me of that!

We all like what we like :)

dnf777 03-26-2023 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great review! Might have prompted me to get one if I didnt already have this gem.

I remember many moons ago a thread on Genzler (right after he re-launched under current name) and discussing what a well-kept secret they were. Seems they put their resources into building quality amps, moreso than marketing and advertising.

Everyone who played through my old Genz-Benz loves its tone and features, but would almost always ask “Genz-WHO??” From your review, it sounds like they took my short wish-list and made all the improvements, and then some! FWIW, I have to admit I have left mine on a pole stand in my garage for years, sometimes covered, most times not, from -10F to 90F, dry in winter, humid in summer, and it has never complained or given anything but 100% performance. Few squirts of ArmorAll, and it even looks like new.
Congrats, and cant wait to hear how you bond over time…

JWJ915 03-26-2023 09:46 AM

It’s the best amp on the market, IMO. I agree with all of your thoughts.

jimmy bookout 03-26-2023 08:50 PM

I could not agree more with J.R. on his review, in particular, the treble reproduction (Genzler's drivers verses tweeters).
I have Genzler Acoustic Array Mini and an absolutely GORGEOUS custom shop Mesa Boogie Rosette 2x8 (Flame Walnut cabinet) that was a gift (really!).

Visually, it's no contest, the Boogie is like a piece of very fine furniture.
Tonally, the Genzler absolutely blows the Boogie away. It's richer, less colored in it's sound reproduction, just BETTER.

J.R. Rogers 03-27-2023 02:10 PM

Thanks, everyone! I spent the morning getting the Genzler played-in by singing a bunch of Gerry Rafferty, The Zombies, and Oasis. I have noticed while I'm singing and have the PA playing music that I can't tell that my voice is coming from down on the floor and to the left of me. It's interesting that the line array seems to get rid of the directional effect of the sound

martingitdave - Thanks! I'd love to hear the mini in person.

jseth - yeah, thanks! It has been awhile since I've been this excited about a piece of gear.

Peter Z - Thanks, I should have mentioned that in my review

Rockabilly69 - I didn't know that Schertler was still making those amps so I really didn't consider them. A long time ago they were a sponsor here but I haven't heard anything about them in a while.

dnf777 - thanks for the interesting response. I was wondering about the potential longevity of this thing because I built my Rane setup like 20 years ago and it still works every day. It sounds like yours has proven that they are reliable. I almost bought a similar one to the one that you show - the Stereo 80 LT, as a dealer that I frequent online has two of them in stock (used). But as it turns out, I think maybe you CAN have too many amps. :)

JWJ915 - thanks!

jimmy bookout - Those MB's are really tempting me with their custom cabinet options, especially. I like nice furniture that sounds good :) I've never played one though. I appreciate the honest comments on the sound. I do like that they offer it in a 10" version and the YouTube video I've heard of Mimi Fox playing through these makes the 10" sound like the one to have. One of my favorite acoustic amps is the Humphrey amp. Mine has a figured maple cabinet and is a beautiful piece of furniture... but unfortunately needs new tubes at the moment.

JR

jimmy bookout 03-27-2023 08:14 PM

^^^
JR,
I have not played through a 1x10 Rosette, but I would like to. IMO, the 2x8 is very disappointing tonally, and I am a huge Mesa Boogie fan...as you can see.

https://i.imgur.com/nfz3VdRh.jpg

jonfields45 03-28-2023 08:27 AM

The 150LT is back!

January 2011, One box on pole, two mics and two guitars plugged in direct:
https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/7f/8b/lHmLiCOT_t.jpg

Marshall 03-28-2023 06:00 PM

Anybody using the Genzler Acoustic Array as a PA? I picked one up from a friend and it is a fabulous amp. I'm thinking of getting the extension cabinet and using the both as instrument and vocal PA system. Both on poles.

Probably have to use a small mixing board (I've got a Mackie) for 2 or 3 mics. Maybe another mini-mixer for more than one instrument.

That's starting to add up to a lot of gear, as opposed to a simple EV 30m.

Rickenbacker1 03-28-2023 06:31 PM

Probably hard to say but I use a Carvin AG 200 but I have been thinking about something newer . How do you think the Genzler would compare ? These old Carvins are golden .

Marshall 03-28-2023 07:24 PM

I'm expecting the Genzler Acoustic Array Pro would be a superior setup for a guitar and a mic. But as soon as I want more inputs, that means putting a mixer in front of the amp and then the color/quality of the mixer preamps comes into play.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

rockabilly69 03-28-2023 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 7219191)
I'm expecting the Genzler Acoustic Array Pro would be a superior setup for a guitar and a mic. But as soon as I want more inputs, that means putting a mixer in front of the amp and then the color/quality of the mixer preamps comes into play.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

I put Zed 10FX mixer in front of mine a few times, and it didn't change the basic character. I also ran my Schertler BASS Sub with it a few times, and that improved the sound.

I also ran it with the sub, and the amp output of my Grace Alix was feeding a Princeton Reverb. It was a pretty nice sound. I was playing street gigs with that setup when they starting opening street restaurants right after the initial COVID outbreak.

http://i.imgur.com/JQZnLKf.jpg