The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Advice on my next Carbon? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530195)

BongoSTL 12-03-2018 08:56 AM

Advice on my next Carbon?

So I've got a nice Goodall that I find I'm never picking up... I'm thinking of trading/selling, and getting another composite guitar....

I've got a Blackbird Super OM (which I love).

A cf guitar for me is perfect for work (I'm a very musically involved congregational rabbi, so I'm always going place to place.)

The two that I'm currently itching for are the x30 (and the amicus ;-). ), and Blackbird's El Capitan.

I'd love any thoughts you might have and/ or suggestions for other things to look at!

I plug in half the time, and the other half I need something that's about to put out some volume....

Earl49 12-03-2018 09:49 AM

The Super OM is great for your stated purposes. What is it lacking?

El Capitan is a small jumbo shape that feels more like a Grand Auditorium and sounds very much like my Taylor GA's. It isn't as big as it looks - although it takes styling cues from Gibson SJ-200 jumbo, it is NOT that big. eKoa has a warm and woody sound, plus it looks like mahogany. I would not call it especially loud, but is has been a while since I've played an El Capitan.

Emerald X30 is a booming cannon, but when held it does not feel any bigger than a GA size because of the bevels and contours. I think it is hard to beat X30 for volume, except maybe the Rainsong JM-1000 jumbo. Standard series Rainsong guitars tend to be the loudest CF guitars out there. Sometimes when exuberantly playing my WS-1000 in the living room I have to back off a bit, because it becomes overpowering. [Shhhh.....I may be on the verge of ordering an X30 myself, to go with my X20 and my wife's X7]. I'm a big fan of Emerald, and my other carbon fiber guitars get notably less play these days. But they are all great instruments and I have no regrets buying any of them.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

Guest 928 12-03-2018 10:12 AM

I had one of the five Super OM nylon string guitars. It was a nice instrument that I gave up in order to try out other makes. Like Earl, I've come to see Emerald as my maker of choice; ergonomics, comfort, sound, and beauty--all in one package. I have not played the new 30, but the reports seem all positive.

You might indicate where you are located and see if anyone near you has an Emerald that you can try. Good luck in your decision making.

kramster 12-03-2018 10:54 AM

The Amicus is a fun lil critter for sure.

Guest 928 12-03-2018 04:24 PM

Is it funner than your other 14 critters?

GuitarLuva 12-03-2018 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BongoSTL (Post 5907533)
So I've got a nice Goodall that I find I'm never picking up... I'm thinking of trading/selling, and getting another composite guitar....

I've got a Blackbird Super OM (which I love).

A cf guitar for me is perfect for work (I'm a very musically involved congregational rabbi, so I'm always going place to place.)

The two that I'm currently itching for are the x30 (and the amicus ;-). ), and Blackbird's El Capitan.

I'd love any thoughts you might have and/ or suggestions for other things to look at!

I plug in half the time, and the other half I need something that's about to put out some volume....

The Emerald X30 sounds like the perfect candidate for you! Big guitar with a big voice that feels smaller than it looks. It's quite comfortable to play and sounds amazing. It won't let you down!

Mark L 12-04-2018 12:09 AM

Depending on your style of play, and how much you use the guitar to back vocals, how about an Emerald X20 12 string to complement your already nice 6 string?

Best wishes on your quest!

kramster 12-04-2018 06:46 AM

So what we are trying to tell you...get a few new guitars...I have seen it done.

Dickey Clapton 12-04-2018 07:00 AM

I would recommend you check out McPherson CF offerings
Great workmanship/sound

palolowarrior 12-04-2018 11:57 AM

I recently sold my Mcpherson KM Touring guitar. It was awesome.

I have a new Mcpherson Sable coming in next week.
I am excited to have this bigger box.
I recently had a Rainsong Al Petteway Limited Ed. It was a great guitar acoustically and plugged in.

byudzai 12-04-2018 12:24 PM

Owning a Sable and an X30, I find I haven't played the Sable lately. It has a buttery smooth sound I like, and the workmanship is a bit smoother than the Emeralds, but it's far weaker unplugged than the X30.

jwellsy 12-04-2018 05:10 PM

My multi scale length (fan fret) X30 IMHO sounds better than Martin D35's.

Kindness 12-04-2018 08:05 PM

I really think you would love a Rainsong. The CH-OM is a lovely guitar and has the similar specs to my Shorty minus the bling.

I am a huge fan of the X30, its just ridiculous.

Happy shopping!

kramster 12-05-2018 06:20 AM

No caution needed on El Capitain as is a whole different critter than the Savoy and mine is fine now. Sorta like one bad orange doesn’t wreck the rest...or something like that.

Barb1 12-05-2018 02:58 PM

Lisa,
I have seven instruments made by Joe at Blackbird and all of them are perfect. I have had no problem with neck angles or anything else relating to their construction. As far as sound, Blackbird is my favorite. I would have no reservation at all recommending Blackbird guitars. Of all the composite brands out there Blackbird is my favorite. I say this from experience as I also have Emeralds, Rainsongs and a McPherson.
Barb