The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Do you like stringing a classical guitar? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298425)

Dru Edwards 06-07-2013 06:39 PM

Do you like stringing a classical guitar?

Hey - so, do you enjoy stringing a classical guitar? I rarely play my classical (LaPatrie Etude) so I rarely change strings but I will say it's not something that I enjoy. I guess I just need more practice.

What about you?

jersey 06-07-2013 06:44 PM

At first, not so much. But now that I'm better at it, I do enjoy it. It's sort of a relaxing ritual.

Bern 06-07-2013 07:06 PM

Changing strings is one thing I can't get any joy from...god, and I've tried.:)

mr. beaumont 06-07-2013 08:01 PM

actually my favorite string change.

mtdmind 06-07-2013 08:57 PM

It's like tying my shoelaces.

Larry M 06-07-2013 09:02 PM

I hate changing strings on any guitar!

Paikon 06-07-2013 10:02 PM

On classical guitar i cut the old strings.Saves me time.As others say changing strings is no fun.

franchelB 06-08-2013 01:40 AM

I have no issues stringing up a classical guitar. It just annoys me to try to keep the thing in tune!

steveh 06-08-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 3500412)
Hey - so, do you enjoy stringing a classical guitar?

I hate it and hate even more the several weeks it seems to take for the unwound strings to really settle down and get stable. Further, I rarely notice much of a sonic difference.

In contrast, steel strings are much easier to change (no matches/lighters required!) and are immediately better sonically.

cheers,
Steve

ewh2 06-08-2013 04:01 AM

Nylon string changes aren't too bad, a little fiddly but the strings tend to last for a long time.

Restringing a 12 string steel guitar is a pain.

Also a electric guitar with a bigsby.

strings4him 06-08-2013 04:23 AM

I see that many classical guitars are being made with a 12-hole bridge. That makes it easier. If you have a 6-hole bridge, then a product called String-Tie is helpful.

Roselynne 06-08-2013 05:16 AM

First change scared the stuff out of me. I whined about it here, in fact. At the same time, I needed to do my first-ever change with bridge pins on another guitar. Oh, the horror!

Both guitars survived nicely. Took me some time to recover, though.

A couple of months later, I got my second classical. It needed repairs, so the tech changed out the old strings it sported on arrival. To my surprise -- and unseemly satisfaction -- I found his technique a bit sloppy. I like my own work better!

Nowadays, it's still a chore. Takes nylons a lot of time to settle down. But I do enjoy the results, and nylons do last longer than steels.

(I get along fine with bridge pins, too ... as long as they don't roll too far away.)

Dru Edwards 06-08-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bern (Post 3500436)
Changing strings is one thing I can't get any joy from...god, and I've tried.:)

LOL. I don't really enjoy changing strings anymore, not even on my acoustic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdmind (Post 3500534)
It's like tying my shoelaces.

Hmmmm ... are you good at tying your shoelaces? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchelB (Post 3500680)
I have no issues stringing up a classical guitar. It just annoys me to try to keep the thing in tune!

Yep, that's what I found with my last string change a few weeks ago. Pulled out the LaPatrie last night just to play for a few minutes and the high E,B,G strings are way off. I must have messed up my last string change.

DrJamie 06-08-2013 06:57 AM

After 47 years of guitar playing, I will be forced to learn to change nylon strings when I find my hybrid to buy. I love new steel strings, and change them often to avoid breaks during a performance. Has anyone ever broken a nylon string while playing?

Liz_in_PA 06-08-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJamie (Post 3500814)
Has anyone ever broken a nylon string while playing?

Yes, I had just put in a compensated saddle that had a bit of a sharp edge. Dumped the saddle and now carry a set of ball end strings for emergencies, because I hate changing the darn things.