The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NGD : Gibson LG-2 American Eagle (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545597)

Gomers 04-30-2019 02:18 PM

NGD : Gibson LG-2 American Eagle

Following on from my Collings vs Martin single-0 thread last week, this has appeared in my house today (I know love, I've no idea how it got here either [emoji848][emoji849]). If a 0-18 or Collings 0 was the next target that would mean my Westside Custom would be for the chop. The 0-15 isn't perfect but is such a characterful guitar to play, then I played it with a capo the other night and it was sublime, so it stays. Thoughts then turned to double-oh's [emoji85]

I was pondering the guitars I've had and flipped over the last year, with a modicum of shame, I might add, and realised I was missing Gibson. The short scale, slim taper neck might be my perfect profile but having seemingly moved away from dread/jumbo's, a third J45 seemed to be slightly nonsensical. Never had a small Gibson so tried a tentative LG-2 search in some auction site familiar to some and saw this.

Cue loads of AGF thread searches for them and it seems a lot of people really rate them, so took a punt and a lightly used AE from 2018 turned up today. God knows what strings were on it, they may have been Nickel, may have been electric strings but a new set of Gibson Masterbuilt PBs are now on there and first impressions are positive, will probably ditch the PU but will give it a while to settle in with me for now.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0100bab6f2.jpg

rokdog49 04-30-2019 02:23 PM

That guitar would be on my short list.
Good score.

jjrpilot 04-30-2019 02:33 PM

Congrats on the new LG2!

The LG2 AE is a pure joy to play.

I ended up giving mine away as I found myself using the J45. I miss it. SUCH a comfortable couch/lounging around guitar.

Nyghthawk 04-30-2019 03:37 PM

Looks like a great noodling guitar! Congrats on the NGD!

Jim Owen 04-30-2019 03:42 PM

Good choice, Gomers.

My best friend in the early 70s had a B 25N (essentially the same as an LG 3). I played that guitar a lot.

DanR 04-30-2019 04:09 PM

Congrats on the new guitar. The American Eagle is a really nice sounding guitar.

Guest 728 04-30-2019 04:24 PM

If yours is anything like mine, your other guitars are going to see a lot less playing time. Congrats!!

TBman 04-30-2019 04:50 PM

Congrats. I haven't had a chance to play one those but many here rave about them. Nice catch!

Sax Player Guy 04-30-2019 04:56 PM

Congrats, Gomers! I love how those American Eagles look-- just classic-- and they have a wonderful woody tone. Nice guitar.

Gomers 04-30-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire (Post 6050751)
If yours is anything like mine, your other guitars are going to see a lot less playing time. Congrats!!

Thanks Willie. The 0-15 Westside has so much charm, it would be very difficult to let it go, the EC on the other hand, great guitar but I just seem to prefer mahogany, we’ll see.

The LG-2 is more lush than I thought, doesn’t have that J45 dryness that I was immediately expecting, strings are new tonight though, so will see how this develops over the next week or two.

The build and finish are good, don’t like the mini Grovers, crying out for some plastic buttons but the pickguard is thin and bevelled, much nicer than the overly thick item on my last J45. A proper set up to lower the action a tad would be welcome but I’ll carry on the with the evaluation for now.

Guest 728 04-30-2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomers (Post 6050822)
The LG-2 is more lush than I thought, doesn’t have that J45 dryness that I was immediately expecting, strings are new tonight though, so will see how this develops over the next week or two.

I've been pleased with John Pearse Pure Nickels on mine, but I've also used JP Phosphor Bronze with good results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gomers (Post 6050822)
A proper set up to lower the action a tad would be welcome

I found that I was able to nicely lower the action by removing the LR Baggs Element. I further improved the tone by putting in a bone saddle.

Enjoy!!

The Growler 04-30-2019 09:39 PM

Nice! Congratulations!

Aura 05-01-2019 07:13 AM

Hope it's a keeper for you :up::up:

hat 05-01-2019 08:20 AM

Looking at the new Gibson website it appears that the LG2AE has been discontinued. Only various forms of L00's are shown.