The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Olson SJ "The Tree" (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239218)

JoeCharter 07-19-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringMeUp (Post 3116759)
Wow, Jim does such a great job!

Joe, do you have any idea how may guitars he is building this year? I don't know when he has time to sleep. ;)

As per a note I got from Jon, I believe Jim is building 39 guitars in this batch.

The man is pretty efficient indeed.

StringMeUp 07-19-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCharter (Post 3116777)
As per a note I got from Jon, I believe Jim is building 39 guitars in this batch.

The man is pretty efficient indeed.

The guitar he made for me last year belongs in a museum! I can assure you that are not going to be disappointed in December.

JoeCharter 07-19-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringMeUp (Post 3116781)
The guitar he made for me last year belongs in a museum! I can assure you that are not going to be disappointed in December.

Actually Jim will start delivering in the next month or so... Not sure when mine is scheduled for but I think it may be well before December.

I can't wait to strap on a capo and play a few arpeggios on this guitar, which I intend to keep in standard tuning. I think I can already sense the inspiration building up... ;)

StringMeUp 07-19-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCharter (Post 3116798)
Actually Jim will start delivering in the next month or so... Not sure when mine is scheduled for but I think it may be well before December.

I can't wait to strap on a capo and play a few arpeggios on this guitar, which I intend to keep in standard tuning. I think I can already sense the inspiration building up... ;)

You are going to love it!!! Mine was delivered shortly after Thanksgiving. It still amazes me that he can build 39 guitars a year by himself and hit them all out of the park.

Michael Watts 07-20-2012 03:58 PM

That looks extremely elegant, congrats!

JoeCharter 07-26-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Watts (Post 3117733)
That looks extremely elegant, congrats!

Thanks, Michael!

This will be the crown jewel of my collection. I am planning a custom cabinet for it... ;)

Michael Watts 07-27-2012 09:36 AM

Lovely plan, make sure it's still within grabbing distance for when you want to play it!

geordie 07-27-2012 03:42 PM

A very 'Grand' guitar Joe:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvl (Post 3062660)
I'd just have to know how it would sound au naturale. I canít imagine that the Tree would be any more fragile than flamed redwood... but then Iíve always been a bit of a risk taker :D

Is this why some builders use double sides with this timber Harvey, because of fragility ?.

JoeCharter 07-27-2012 04:36 PM

The Tree has the reputation of breaking when it's bent.

But not all luthiers agree on this -- and I don't think any luthier has built enough guitars with the Tree to make a really fair assessment.

Michael Watts 07-27-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geordie (Post 3126239)
A very 'Grand' guitar Joe:D



Is this why some builders use double sides with this timber Harvey, because of fragility ?.

Double sides (or in some cases triple) are used to create a stiff rim allowing the top and back to vibrate without unnecessary flex/torsion. This approach to building is used regardless of how figured the materials are.

geordie 07-27-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCharter (Post 3126283)
The Tree has the reputation of breaking when it's bent.
But not all luthiers agree on this -- and I don't think any luthier has built enough guitars with the Tree to make a really fair assessment.

that figures Joe, I have 'tried my hand' at bending some well figured timber and thought that with the delicacy / rarity of this particular material it would make sense to laminate it - since it has no imperceptible effect on the overall sound of the instrument - playing safe in other words :)

JoeCharter 07-27-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geordie (Post 3126325)
that figures Joe, I have 'tried my hand' at bending some well figured timber and thought that with the delicacy / rarity of this particular material it would make sense to laminate it - since it has no imperceptible effect on the overall sound of the instrument - playing safe in other words :)

I'm sure that when a guy breaks a piece of the Tree, he remembers it for a long time! LOL

riorider 07-27-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCharter (Post 3126283)
The Tree has the reputation of breaking when it's bent.

But not all luthiers agree on this -- and I don't think any luthier has built enough guitars with the Tree to make a really fair assessment.

There are some stories but second hand so I won't repeat them, but yes, without due care it's easy to break them!!

That's why Mike Baranik had a back set but had to locate a set of sides (which eventually came from Lance a few months before he died!)... someone (I don't think Mike) had broken a set while bending.

I anticipate Tim McKnight and John Mayes will have no problem with my final two! I'm thinking no cutaway, though - my tastes have changed and that eliminates one more risk factor!

Phil

JoeCharter 08-21-2012 05:00 PM

Guitar is nearly finished...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73365238/olson29.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73365238/olson30.JPG

cigarfan 08-21-2012 05:14 PM

Stunning! Excuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=