The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   APSE Matte Finish (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548394)

Fkandt 06-01-2019 10:06 AM

APSE Matte Finish

Hey, Guys - Just picked up a Rainsong APSE and and am enjoying it. One of its "features" is its unique dull matte finish. The care instructions that come with it are the same ones as the high-gloss models and include using "a high grade, non-abrasive automotive detailing product such as Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Final Inspection 34 or Quik Detailer".

I worry that using a high gloss product on the matte finish will damage it. Wondering what some of the veteran APSE owners have found.

- Frank

MiG50 06-01-2019 10:55 AM

The key term there is "non-abrasive." Many gloss-finish cleaners use a mild micro-abrasive to maintain the glossy finish, like re-applying a very fine-grit finish every time you clean. For a matte finish, you want to avoid those abrasive cleaners at all cost. There are lots of automotive cleaners that are made safe for matte finishes, I would look into those.

mountainmaster 06-01-2019 11:36 AM

I don't know about the APSE but I regularly use Meguiar's Quik Detailer to clean my Rainsong Smokey. It is still as matte as it was when I bought it.

Fkandt 06-01-2019 11:52 AM

I can see avoiding abrasives. I'd also worry that any product that left a wax or polish residue would create a problem.

Thanks Mountainmaster for noting your experience. I didn't realize the Smokey was a matte finish - I asume similar to the APSE. Sounds like Meguiar's Quick Detailer is a safe place to start given your results.

Mark L 06-01-2019 05:29 PM

The instructions are from Rainsong and came with the guitar?

I’d go with the old “try it on a small unimportant area”, or just trust the manufacturer. Or call them directly for a discussion of your concerns.

I have an APLE. It’s a great guitar. I just clean it with a damp cloth, and dry it with a dry cloth.

Guest 928 06-01-2019 05:57 PM

I like Mark's approach. I sometimes use micro fiber pads, but they are abrasive and are avoided. When younger, and poor, with wooden guitars, I'd use toothpaste--worked good, smelled nice.

CRM 06-01-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainmaster (Post 6075877)
I don't know about the APSE but I regularly use Meguiar's Quik Detailer to clean my Rainsong Smokey. It is still as matte as it was when I bought it.

Plus 1 on that !!!!!!! Works for me as well

JerryM 06-04-2019 09:30 AM

I find just a simple cotton cloth with a little moisture wipes down the RS just fine, I had the APSE and APLE and found it worked just great on the Matt as well as the gloss.
Auto products work but most have petroleum distillate in them and I don't care for the stuff near me when playing.