The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Strings and Beyond Same day Shipping? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491305)

bluetweed 11-30-2017 05:29 PM

Strings and Beyond Same day Shipping?

I appreciate the great deals at times but at least for me it always takes days before my order ships. It this the norm for them. Out of 5 order's only one shipped within 2 days.

rgregg48 11-30-2017 06:02 PM

Try stringsbymail.com not as many "deals" but faster shipping

Lawn Jockey 11-30-2017 06:06 PM

I placed an order on Monday and it shipped on Wednesday.

Vol46 11-30-2017 06:12 PM

It may be because they are in neighboring North Carolina, but my orders from them always arrive within a few days.

Kerbie 11-30-2017 06:14 PM

I've had great success with S&B... never had a problem.

rokdog49 11-30-2017 06:22 PM

Sometimes a deal is not a deal, depends on your viewpoint. By the time you save a couple of bucks on strings from vendor "A" over vendor "B" UNLESS you buy a lot of strings at once the difference in price disappears or nearly so in shipping charges and longer shipping times.
When I purchase from Sweetwater, I pay more. Example: $7.99 for a pack of DR Sunbeams vs. $6.15 elsewhere but Sweetwater ships FREE that very day. If I order ONE SET of strings from them on Monday, they are here on Wednesday morning, not shipped on Wednesday morning as has been the case with others.
The only way anyone can really make out from certain vendors is buy enough strings to meet their minimum for free freight. If that's how a person chooses to do it, good for them. Generally, I ain't going to do that. Why should I lay out that much cash at once and the strings lay in a drawer? I buy 'Em as needed.

Knollhaven 11-30-2017 06:22 PM

I've always found their service to be excellent.

AHill 11-30-2017 06:23 PM

My orders always ship same day or next day. Could be the holiday shopping load has them extra busy.

Ed-in-Ohio 11-30-2017 06:31 PM

How weird...I have to say, I have frankly been amazed by how quickly I get my S&B orders. S&B and AGF sponsor Shoreline Music always impress me by the speed with which I get my orders from them.

Obviously...YMMV! :)

zombywoof 11-30-2017 06:40 PM

I generally receive a S & B order within around three days. I prefer the selection you get with Just Strings but I have run into them being out of stock on this or that several times so when you add in the shipping on the reduced order the price per string set is often not much of a bargain.

Purfle Haze 11-30-2017 06:59 PM

You are right; Their shipping is unreliable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluetweed (Post 5553489)
I appreciate the great deals at times but at least for me it always takes days before my order ships. It this the norm for them. Out of 5 order's only one shipped within 2 days.

I have had the same experience. After it happened twice, I sent the following email to [email protected] and to [email protected]:
Hello SNB,

I made my order on Sept. 5 at 1:16PM. I got the shipping notice today at 9:39AM. That’s 44 hours from order to shipping label creation. Every SNB web page says Same Day Shipping. The reason I write is that this happened with my last order too; two calendar days between order and shipment.

I wonder why this is? I understand that my order was not a big order, just a single set of strings. But I was motivated by your Free Shipping promotion. And I understand that I am not a Major Customer; just a couple of orders a year. But–

I order from your company because you are a small company, and I like to support that. I live one mile from Guitar Center, and can get strings in 30 minutes, door to door, on foot. I am an Amazon Prime member, and it almost never, in dozens of orders, fails to deliver by the day after tomorrow, and its price is the same. And occasionally I order from Just Strings in New Hampshire, not very far from me in Mass., for the same reason– small company. I once got my order from them the next day, with regular USPS shipping, because they got the order right out the door!

I understand that if I place an order at 5PM, it’s probably not going to ship that day. It’s Miller Time. Fair enough! But I ordered right after lunch. I did expect same day shipping. And SNB says, "99% of orders placed before 3:00 pm EST ship the same day and most of the other orders will ship within 2 days.” So have I joined the One Percent? ;)

That claim is actually odd. If 99% of orders ship same day, why don’t the 99% of the remaining orders ship the next day? Now I’ve joined the One-Tenth Percent?

This is not the end of the world, and I don’t want to take you away from getting your orders out by tying you up with a long email. I know that SNB has a good rep in the guitar community, but gee whiz…

Good luck, and stay away from Irma!

(I sent the email as Hurricane Irma was approaching the South Carolina.)

Here is SNB's reply, in full:

[crickets]

Now I buy elsewhere.

JoePa and Son 11-30-2017 07:13 PM

Placed an order for 8 sets of strings on-line last Sunday. Arrived in Oregon yesterday. Good enough for me..

Always a hand-written thank you, as well.

MartyGraw 11-30-2017 07:13 PM

I live about as far across the country as possible from S and B. I live in a remote community about hour drive from a big town. If I order on Monday I receive my order on Wednesday. They don't ship on weekend. They have been my sole provider for about a dozen years. Great people and service.

mattcran 11-30-2017 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawn Jockey (Post 5553536)
I placed an order on Monday and it shipped on Wednesday.

Same timing for me. I emailed them and they said they were a little overwhelmed with order volume from black Friday weekend. I'll have them tomorrow. Quick enough for me.

akwingnut 11-30-2017 08:49 PM

I ordered 6 or 8 packs of strings this past Saturday and received them on Tuesday - in Anchorage, Alaska. Yeah, I think they went out same day. :)