The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Schitt's Creek TV show (Eugene Levy) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626288)

Dru Edwards 09-17-2021 01:49 PM

Schitt's Creek TV show (Eugene Levy)

Anyone ever watch the comedy Schitt's Creek before? I finally gave it a chance and it's hilarious. Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara. You may recognize Eugene's name but Catherine was also on SCTV with Eugene. She does a great job in her role here.

The plot is that a very rich family loses their fortune and moves into a cheap motel in a derelict, simple minded town that they've owned for a few years and didn't even know it.

Eugene's son Dan is a main character in the show. I didn't realize it until now (looked it up) but Eugene's daughter is also on the show.

Your thoughts?

BrunoBlack 09-17-2021 02:04 PM

We’ve watched the entire series and thought it was a hoot.

J Patrick 09-17-2021 02:05 PM

I found it hilarious as well but the schtick kinda wore thin after a fdoen episodes or so

Dirk Hofman 09-17-2021 02:06 PM

Love Levy and O'Hara from many things, mostly from movies like Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman. Watched the first Schitt's Creek, but just could not get into it. Didn't like the Chris Elliot character and just seemed kind of negative to me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. Lots of people I know rave about it though, but not for me I guess.

1neeto 09-17-2021 02:22 PM

Probably the best sit-com ever.

Nymuso 09-17-2021 02:28 PM

I've always enjoyed Levy but it wasn't until A Mighty Wind when I didn't recognize him for the first half of the movie that I realized his immense talent.

Lauren_WarEagle 09-17-2021 02:29 PM

Yes, definitely one of the best sitcoms ever made!

Fishermike 09-17-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Patrick (Post 6811825)
I found it hilarious as well but the schtick kinda wore thin after a fdoen episodes or so

If you didn't complete the series, you missed out. The evolution of the characters was one of the best things about the series, IMO.

Dru Edwards 09-17-2021 02:46 PM

Wow, I can't believe the amount of replies already. It popped up on my AmazonPrime Canada recommendations and I always ignored it until a few weeks ago. I'm halfway through Season 2 now and it's great.

catdaddy 09-17-2021 03:00 PM

Gave it a try, but it wasn't for me. The fact that watching Chris Elliot gives me hives might have had something to do with it.

619TF 09-17-2021 03:07 PM

This show was discussed in the "what are you watching" thread. Most people seemed to like it. Although I really enjoy the 2 main stars (Levy & O'Hara) I just couldn't get into this show and also bailed after about half a season.

upsidedown 09-17-2021 03:13 PM

Huge fan of SCTV..

...and no spring chicken myself, but when I watch Eugene and Catherine in Schitt's Creek, or Marty in Only Murders In The Building, I can't help but think; "they used to be SO funny!"

Unfair? Yes.

Dru Edwards 09-17-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catdaddy (Post 6811876)
Gave it a try, but it wasn't for me. The fact that watching Chris Elliot gives me hives might have had something to do with it.

Hey Cat, I didn't care too much for Chris Elliot either. Something creepy. I didn't even know his name but I recognized him from Something about Mary (hilarious movie). I don't mind his character at all now though.

rllink 09-17-2021 04:30 PM

We watched it and then a year or so later we watched it again. We liked it. I thought Chris Elliot was funny, but then I know a couple of guys just like his character, so that might have been it.

dirkronk 09-17-2021 04:41 PM

My wife and I watched the first several episodes and had the same “creepy” feeling about the Chris Elliot character (part of the Schitt family of the series name). Then some friends who had seen the whole series urged us to keep watching and assured us that Elliot calmed down a tad as the series went on. Glad we kept watching. Wound up loving all seasons.
YMMV, of course.

Dirk