The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   'Line 6 HX for acoustic' question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527158)

stevecuss 11-04-2018 08:57 AM

'Line 6 HX for acoustic' question

Friends,

Like many of you I am obsessive about good plugged in acoustic tone. I am considering selling off my electric guitar pedals and buying a Line 6 HX Effects box and I'm considering using it also for my acoustic rig.

My main gigging guitar, Mcilroy A25c with a Trance Amulet in it.

I am selling my Taylor and I just bought a sweet Martin 000-18 which will need a pickup. I will likely install an SBT solution of some kind. If I can overcome my aversion to superglue I'll probably try a K&K. I love how light the Martin is and don't want to add much internal weight (battery bag etc.)

I have a friend willing to make IR patches for the Line 6 based on recordings I send from each of my guitars, so I know I can load custom IRs into the Line 6 for each guitar.

Here are my 3 questions:

1) I've never really understood impedance, but I understand it can be an issue with some pickups like K&K. Does anyone forsee any issue with a K&K straight into a Line 6 HX?

2) Anyone have experience with the HX eq and its ability to dial in an acoustic pickup? My experience with the K&K is it requires some surgical EQ to behave well.

3) Has anyone replaced decent acoustic outboard gear with the Line 6 Helix line and found the quality to be comparable?

thanks much

jonfields45 11-04-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevecuss (Post 5881166)
1) I've never really understood impedance, but I understand it can be an issue with some pickups like K&K. Does anyone forsee any issue with a K&K straight into a Line 6 HX?

It should actually be perfect. Due to Leo Fender's (and likely other less memorable designers of that era) choice of a 1M ohm grid bias resistor on the input stage of his amps, the "standard" input impedance for electric guitar amps and pedals is 1M ohm. 1M is the ideal load for a K&K (or JJB) SBT.

stevecuss 11-05-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 5881305)
It should actually be perfect. Due to Leo Fender's (and likely other less memorable designers of that era) choice of a 1M ohm grid bias resistor on the input stage of his amps, the "standard" input impedance for electric guitar amps and pedals is 1M ohm. 1M is the ideal load for a K&K (or JJB) SBT.

Ok, great thanks very much. I'm keen to see if I can use the HX as a 'one solution for all' gig scenarios. The reviews seem promising

DavidE 11-05-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevecuss (Post 5882074)
Ok, great thanks very much. I'm keen to see if I can use the HX as a 'one solution for all' gig scenarios. The reviews seem promising

It’s great for acoustic, except for the looper. You can’t record a loop and then stop recording without playing it. I do that a lot, so I had to use my Ditto X2 with the HX Effects.

Cuki79 11-05-2018 12:54 PM

Keep in mind that if the auto-impedance detection does not work you might lose a lots of low end.

In this case, you will probably need to set the impedance manually to 1Mohm. Given the following links, it should be possible.

https://line6.com/support/topic/2035...dance-setting/

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/ef...ut-specs-r901/

stevecuss 11-05-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuki79 (Post 5882342)
Keep in mind that if the auto-impedance detection does not work you might lose a lots of low end.

In this case, you will probably need to set the impedance manually to 1Mohm. Given the following links, it should be possible.

https://line6.com/support/topic/2035...dance-setting/

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/ef...ut-specs-r901/

Fantastic, thanks Cuki.

I will likely buy a used HX effects, but I am looking at the Helix LT too. It is a good bit more $$, but might be a better option long term.

rschultz 11-08-2018 03:01 PM

I use a Helix for my 'one solution for all' gig scenarios. It covers all my acoustics, my dual-source acoustic AND electric. The HX Effects is basically the same thing without the amp/cab modeling, only 1 DSP instead of two, fewer jacks on the back and no expression pedal. Honestly if it had DI out the back I might downgrade to it.

Your 3 questions:
1) No problem.
2) Lots of EQ options, my dual source is K&K + Lyric. Sounds GREAT!
3) Sound quality is as good or better than most acoustic pedals. It replaced a Felix for the same money and has about 1000x more options.

Helix is $1000 used. HX Effects is probably 1/2 that. You can't go wrong. It does so much more than any pedal board you could put together.

Foss38 11-08-2018 03:06 PM

Would the HX Stomp not be more suitable as it can load IR's also ?

rschultz 11-08-2018 03:06 PM

I think all of them can load IR's... Helix, LT, HX Effects and Stomp. I think...

I use 3Sigma IR's on my acoustics and they sound great.

stevecuss 11-08-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschultz (Post 5884978)
I use a Helix for my 'one solution for all' gig scenarios. It covers all my acoustics, my dual-source acoustic AND electric. The HX Effects is basically the same thing without the amp/cab modeling, only 1 DSP instead of two, fewer jacks on the back and no expression pedal. Honestly if it had DI out the back I might downgrade to it.

Your 3 questions:
1) No problem.
2) Lots of EQ options, my dual source is K&K + Lyric. Sounds GREAT!
3) Sound quality is as good or better than most acoustic pedals. It replaced a Felix for the same money and has about 1000x more options.

Helix is $1000 used. HX Effects is probably 1/2 that. You can't go wrong. It does so much more than any pedal board you could put together.

This is outstanding, thanks. Yeah, I think the HX Effects is the way to go. Nice flexibility and scribble scripts, small footprint. I can easily connect it to a DI with XLR if needed and the used price sure is hard to beat - south of $500.

I have a replica vintage Marshall Plexi I built for my electric rig and I like it, so I don't think I need the various amp options, although maybe the HX will end up being a gateway into deeper Helix addiction.

The IR loading is really exciting. And I recently went to a concert with a solo acoustic player and he ran through some Strymon effects and also dry through some condenser mics. 3 signals to the board and the sound was huge. I was thinking the HX could probably route a wet and dry signal and get a pretty big effected sound if I needed it.

Steve Hamill 11-08-2018 05:08 PM

Stomp

The HX Effects can't load IR's as it has no amp or cab blocks. The Stomp can and does so very well. I play acoustic through my HX Stomp and my Kemper. I prefer the Kemper but you can't beat the size and package the Stomp has for around $500.

stevecuss 11-08-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hamill (Post 5885102)
The HX Effects can't load IR's as it has no amp or cab blocks. The Stomp can and does so very well. I play acoustic through my HX Stomp and my Kemper. I prefer the Kemper but you can't beat the size and package the Stomp has for around $500.

Actually, the guys on the Line 6 forum suggest that you can load IRs into the HX Effects and I think a few different forum guys say you can. Are they wrong?

https://line6.com/support/topic/3376...ffects-do-irs/

Steve Hamill 11-08-2018 06:19 PM

IR's

OK I guess there are IR's for things other than speakers. I have some I've downloaded and put into my Stomp but I don't really see a great benefit or sound improvement. It's a rabbit hole I'm going to try and avoid. Please forgive my erroneous post.

stevecuss 11-08-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hamill (Post 5885148)
OK I guess there are IR's for things other than speakers. I have some I've downloaded and put into my Stomp but I don't really see a great benefit or sound improvement. It's a rabbit hole I'm going to try and avoid. Please forgive my erroneous post.

No probs! I've really enjoyed this learning journey. Our church has a ToneDexter and I'm impressed by it, but I can't afford to put that amount of money into a singular piece of kit, but selling off some electric pedals and getting 'one kit to rule mankind' with acoustic IRs, eq and effects if I want, that might just be the bees for me.

DavidE 11-08-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rschultz (Post 5884985)
I think all of them can load IR's... Helix, LT, HX Effects and Stomp. I think...

I use 3Sigma IR's on my acoustics and they sound great.

Correct. All can load IRs.