The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Quick Rainsong question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563405)

Dbone 11-11-2019 06:50 AM

Quick Rainsong question

It was mentioned in another thread that Rainsong has factory options that are not evident on their website.

Would a factory installed pickguard be one?

Anyone know?

Thanks

jonfields45 11-11-2019 07:09 AM

I think RainSong's business plan is not to routinely make off price-list instruments. However, the larger dealers do have off price list guitars often in-stock. You should call Ted at LA Guitar Sales and ask.

But, why make a guitar a possibly not returnable custom for something a local luthier could do for you (or you could do yourself)?

Dbone 11-11-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 6208479)
I think RainSong's business plan is not to routinely make off price-list instruments. However, the larger dealers do have off price list guitars often in-stock. You should call Ted at LA Guitar Sales and ask.

But, why make a guitar a possibly not returnable custom for something a local luthier could do for you (or you could do yourself)?

I suppose...I guess I didn’t think too much about that, because here in Canada I think I’d be out 10% if I didn’t keep the guitar after ordering it in...pretty sure that is the case...Need to confirm, but I’m quite certain that’s how it works with Long and Macquade up here...which I believe is the only authorized dealer up here...at least according to Rainsong’s site...

10% on a 3500 CDN guitar is a lot of cash to leave on the table so if I order one I’m fairly committed in my mind. I’m pretty confident that I would not return anyway. It would have to be pretty bad for me to do so.

It sounds from your words that it might be possible. Either way, as you say, it’s not a deal breaker...convenience thing...

If anyone else definitively knows that it is possible I would love to hear.

Thanks

jonfields45 11-11-2019 08:00 AM

I've got a CO-PA1100NS that was an off price list stock item at LAGS. Randy and others have ordered off price list RainSongs made to order from LAGS. I see other RainSong dealers also stock off price list guitars (Avenue Guitars in Colorado -- though I've never contacted them).

Definitely talk to Ted and get what you want! I'm certain he ships internationally.

Custom pickguards are available on the Internet from many well regarded suppliers. You would measure the diameter of the soundhole rosette location you want to match and order whatever appeals to your eye.

Dbone 11-11-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 6208519)
I've got a CO-PA1100NS that was an off price list stock item at LAGS. Randy and others have ordered off price list RainSongs made to order from LAGS. I see other RainSong dealers also stock off price list guitars (Avenue Guitars in Colorado -- though I've never contacted them).

Definitely talk to Ted and get what you want! I'm certain he ships internationally.

Custom pickguards are available on the Internet from many well regarded suppliers. You would measure the diameter of the soundhole rosette location you want to match and order whatever appeals to your eye.

Do you have any specific vendors you would recommend for the pick guard?

MiG50 11-11-2019 09:37 AM

As far as I'm aware, the only pickguards that Rainsong currently uses are the ones for their new Vintage and Nashville series. So they're pretty thin on options in that department. You'd be much better off, and have a much better selection, looking at aftermarket. You can also get a blank and cut your own, I know that Stewart MacDonald and Warmoth both sell the blank material (among others). Then you can choose your own shape to fit. Acoustic pickguards are generally just adhesive-applied, and are also removable, so they're a pretty forgiving aftermarket accessory.

Earl49 11-11-2019 10:24 AM

A lot of folks speak highly of Taylor Mullins at Holter Pickguards for quality and service. I don't normally use PG's and put my own on if I do. I'm far more likely to remove one that is already there. Long & McQuade should have something for you, and installation really isn't difficult.

I put a clear pickguard on my WS-1000 years ago even though I don't need it personally. But I let people try my guitar a lot, and they may not have the same controlled technique.

jdinco 11-11-2019 11:08 AM

I used the clear static cling pick guard on my RS. Cheap and easy to remove. Works well.
If you want to order something non standard, I found it best to go thru my local dealer. They know what is available and what isn't. Good Luck. You may want to call Ted...he is the Rainsong man.

Dbone 11-11-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdinco (Post 6208710)
I used the clear static cling pick guard on my RS. Cheap and easy to remove. Works well.
If you want to order something non standard, I found it best to go thru my local dealer. They know what is available and what isn't. Good Luck. You may want to call Ted...he is the Rainsong man.

For stuff like this I'd rather deal within Canada if at all possible...Warranty etc...If I needed warranty work and bought it in the states I would need to pay shipping to and fro etc...potentially...Doesn't make much sense...At least I know everything would be for sure handled through L & M at no potential additional costs to me at that time...

Long and Macquade definitely sells what I want.

Where specifically did you purchase this clear static cling one? I know Taylor has one. Was it that one?

steelvibe 11-11-2019 11:57 AM

You are making a fine choice if you go RainSong.

I personally love RainSong guitars tonally and aesthetically. I found the neck was not for me and that is unfortunate. The Shorty is the only guitar I've ever sold that I kinda miss.

jonfields45 11-11-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbone (Post 6208531)
Do you have any specific vendors you would recommend for the pick guard?

There are quite a few if you Google "custom acoustic guitar pickguard." I've used Terrapin in the past.

StewMac or Luthiers Mercantile might stock a standard product with the right rosette diameter. Both of them publish engineering diagrams for their products on-line which makes it simple to see if they will fit.

By the way, the poly finish on CF of a RainSong is more scratch resistant then any plastic pickguard. I've played my main beater without a pickguard for many months at a stretch and the scratch marks are only in my skin oil. They clean right off. That said I still usually put something on my guitars and they look fairly trashy reasonably quickly.

Here is a static cling one I had made for 12-fret RainSongs. I'll mail you one if that is something you are interested in.

https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/9f/42/akcnARiv_t.jpg https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/61/46/BIW9BLlR_t.jpg

There is a guy on eBay selling weak adhesive clear pickguards for a Taylor T5. I take his product and use an Xacto Razor Compass to cut the sound hole.

https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/11/ff/bx6nISkI_t.jpg https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/f3/7e/D2R2lnz5_t.jpg https://thumbs2.imgbox.com/f8/11/RaUo4CHT_t.jpg

All these thin clear options scratch more easily than a real plastic pickguard.

Ken Carr 11-11-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbone (Post 6208462)
It was mentioned in another thread that Rainsong has factory options that are not evident on their website.

Would a factory installed pickguard be one?

Anyone know?

Thanks

Not to intentionally hijack your question, but I have a question similar. There is a particular Rainsong model I am interested in. However I am curious if it would be possible to get one with a wider string spacing. I would prefer 1 7/8" nut and 2 5/16" string spacing at saddle, specifically for fingerstyle.

Earl49 11-11-2019 02:10 PM

A dealer can request a mix of options from a fairly short list. Things like 12 fret NS neck versus 14 fret N2 neck, no electronics, painted finish, etc. Ted at LA Guitar Sales is particularly well plugged in with Rainsong, being a leading dealer, and seems to be the main source of custom orders.

However, Rainsong does not seem to have the capability to stray from their standard neck molds with custom profiles or alternate scale lengths. No inside information here, but a new machined aluminum mold for the neck alone is a five-figure investment. In the old days before the N2 neck, the WS-3000 and JM-3000 twelve string models had a wider 1-7/8" nut width. But when Rainsong changed their lay-up methods a few years ago, those models went by the wayside and they have not built a twelve-string since. Presumably that neck mold was retired too. I've never heard of wider string spacing at the saddle, but that does not mean it cannot happen.

RP 11-12-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 6208887)
A dealer can request a mix of options from a fairly short list. Things like 12 fret NS neck versus 14 fret N2 neck, no electronics, painted finish, etc. Ted at LA Guitar Sales is particularly well plugged in with Rainsong, being a leading dealer, and seems to be the main source of custom orders...

Earl summed up my understanding quite nicely...

AZLiberty 11-12-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 6209344)
Earl summed up my understanding quite nicely...

I believe that one can also "downgrade" the fretmarkers. I.e. dots instead of Sharks if ordering a model that would normally have the sharks. Also possibly order a clean (no markers) fretboard.