The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   AGF Classifieds - Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   For Sale: Martin J-40 - Kimsey Overhaul, New Frets, K&K: $OLD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543690)

pjroberts 04-09-2019 05:07 PM

Martin J-40 - Kimsey Overhaul, New Frets, K&K: $OLD

6 Attachment(s)
Moving back west, so thinning out instruments, and it's not easy:-( Given the soft market I’m attempting fair pricing on the lower end right up front. All get a 48h return/refund option.

Martin J-40, Kimsified
Martin’s sleeper gem, their rosewood jumbo with recent K&K added for even more versatility on stage. This is basically D-28 tone balanced out, with a comfy neck. This is an early 90s model ... but it has been completely retrofitted by Bryan Kimsey, so extra hard to let go .... it’s either this or my D-28A though, and it was close. Also, unusually, this has almost a 1.75" (See picture - a fluke, no idea).

Attachment 21303

Lots of updates to this awesome Martin, including new tuners, frets & more. Here's a rundown of the work:
  • rear back braces shaved to pre-90's height
  • popsicle brace removed
  • new bone saddle
  • new bone nut
  • New Grover 18:1 tuners
  • New Eo wire frets
  • Set up with low action down the neck
  • K&K Pure Mini pickup

Bryan did a demo himself, which you can watch here:

Phew, someone better buy this one fast as I'm slipping here. It's a bit too close to my D-18 - otherwise this would stay. Structurally sound, though cosmetically average cosmetically because it has a repaired split seam on the center (see picture), in its previous life (all good now). It’s no beauty queen, but awesome tone and probably my most versatile guitar I've got.

$OLD! with Paypal Friends & Family. I have been an AGF member for 6+ years and bought, sold and traded a number of guitars on AGF.

If you need more pictures or information, please PM me. The video above speaks for itself.

Attachment 21304

Attachment 21305

Attachment 21306

You can where the seam split and was repaired here (no impact to playing, integrity or tone):
Attachment 21307

And here, the nut measured at almost 1 ¾, though stock spec is 1 11/16. This is a good thing:-)
Attachment 21308

pjroberts 04-13-2019 10:59 PM

Saturday night bump.

pjroberts 05-10-2019 06:27 PM

Updated with video / sound sample, price reduction and some more details. Rock'n Martin that does everything, with brand new K&K pickup, tuners, frets, nut.

pjroberts 05-16-2019 11:31 PM

Bumpity bump. Tons of questions about this one but no bite. Lowered price because I am 2 weeks from moving and must thin out.

TDavis 05-17-2019 07:58 AM

PM attempted...but your mailbox is full and cannot accept any more messages.;)

pjroberts 05-17-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker (Post 6063937)
PM attempted...but your mailbox is full and cannot accept any more messages.;)

Sorry about that Ozark -- cleared it out. Lots of email of requests for this and that bit of info. Still waiting though:-)

Stevien 05-17-2019 05:08 PM

This is a lot of guitar for the $$$! Won't last another day .....
Steve

gruuv 05-18-2019 06:07 AM

Sounds amazing! Is this top Sitka, Adirondack, something else?

pjroberts 05-21-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruuv (Post 6064670)
Sounds amazing! Is this top Sitka, Adirondack, something else?

Sitka top, and yes it rings and growls!!

canerod 05-22-2019 04:14 AM

Hard to find specs on this guitar form Martin or sellers.

Could you please provide:
- Lower bout width
- Lower bout depth at end joint
- String spacing at saddle

Thanks.