The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   A non-flimsy reason for GAS? I found it! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550617)

T268 06-27-2019 10:27 AM

A non-flimsy reason for GAS? I found it!

So, I've been off AGF for a while prior to some AV questions a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for having me back!

I've started playing more for an hour or so(owing mostly due to practice before the service) at a time at church and I'm beginning to have some back pain given the weight of my Collings CJ. That guitar is soooo good. I would have to be under some serious financial hardship to ever part with it. It's so good that I won't consider trading it for anything less than something I can play in person. I had a K and K put in it by a local mando luthier who's been building for 40 years and does guitar work to make extra cash. He said of all the guitars he's worked on in his 40 years, mine is one of maybe 4 that he couldn't see how to possibly make it sound better. Different strokes and all, but I think I got a special one on my hands. So, that leaves only one choice. I guess I need another guitar.

At the moments there are no funds. However, I made a promise to myself. I don't know how to read music nor do I understand guitar theory. So, I bought a highly reviewed Sight Reading book off amazon. I rarely finish something I start. However, if I actually read the book and do the exercises cover to cover, I think I earned the right to indulge some GAS, particularly since I'm having some comfort issues. I get caught too much into the cycle of buying new stuff rather than learning to use the stuff I have better. Well, I'll learn to use the stuff I have better and THEN buy new stuff. Should be interesting to see if I can finish the project. Plus, in the time it takes me to get through this book properly, it will give me time to build some funds. Plus, my 40th is coming up in September of 2020, so there's more justification.

Let's do this!

beatcomber 06-27-2019 10:47 AM

If you accomplish this goal, you will get TWO rewards!

jklotz 06-27-2019 10:55 AM

I like this. That's a great motivation to do the hard part! I'm going to be positive here and say that I'm really looking forward to the next NGD post from you!

Kerbie 06-27-2019 10:56 AM

Wishing you the best of luck! :)

BrunoBlack 06-27-2019 10:56 AM

Sounds Good! I owned and sold a Collings CJ SB Rosewood and it is one of my very few regrets in horse trading. Great guitar. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

T268 06-27-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jklotz (Post 6097053)
I like this. That's a great motivation to do the hard part! I'm going to be positive here and say that I'm really looking forward to the next NGD post from you!

I'm going to stay positive too. It will be defying the odds of past pursuits, but that would make achieving it that much sweeter.

T268 06-27-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatcomber (Post 6097047)
If you accomplish this goal, you will get TWO rewards!

Yup. A lifelong gift of understanding music and a sweet TBD guitar!

archerscreek 06-27-2019 11:49 AM

Sounds like a plan. I started doing something similar as well. I only allow myself to buy something I want if I first set and complete a goal. I have found great value in doing it. So good luck and keep at it.

Tnfiddler 06-27-2019 12:18 PM

What’s the name of the book you’ve bought? I’m learning flatpicking and I’ll always look into some new learning material

Neil K Walk 06-28-2019 05:02 AM

Ah yes, delayed gratification followed by hard work makes the reward that much sweeter. I may set out to do something like that myself. I've been making a plan but I won't hijack your thread.

Good luck with your goal. As Tommy Emmanuel says: "now get to work!"

rstaight 06-28-2019 05:53 AM

You can't go wrong by being able to read music and understanding music theory.

I don't know that many songs by heart. But put the music in front of me I can play most anything except the more difficult finger picking. I am learning that.

The theory allows me to hold my own at the local jams. I am able to play along with songs I have never heard or played. Because of the bit of theory I do know.

You are starting on a very rewarding journey.

T268 06-28-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstaight (Post 6097575)
You can't go wrong by being able to read music and understanding music theory.

I don't know that many songs by heart. But put the music in front of me I can play most anything except the more difficult finger picking. I am learning that.

The theory allows me to hold my own at the local jams. I am able to play along with songs I have never heard or played. Because of the bit of theory I do know.

You are starting on a very rewarding journey.

That's the part I'm really excited about. Finally building the foundation.

T268 07-24-2019 09:46 AM

So an update:

I'm still chipping away at my sight reading book. It's going well. The first bit just committed to memory what the notes are and now is being integrated into actually picking up the guitar. It's slow going, but I'm getting on. I'm really excited to keep making progress. I'll keep you all updated.

Goat Mick 07-24-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T268 (Post 6120274)
So an update:

I'm still chipping away at my sight reading book. It's going well. The first bit just committed to memory what the notes are and now is being integrated into actually picking up the guitar. It's slow going, but I'm getting on. I'm really excited to keep making progress. I'll keep you all updated.

Keep going!! You'll get a great sense of accomplishment (and a new guitar) out of this exercise.

Pnewsom 07-24-2019 03:51 PM

Maybe do some exercises for the back pain? I own a CJ like yours and it not what I would call a heavy guitar.