The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Maguires Quick Detailer (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549333)

jdinco 06-12-2019 04:30 AM

Maguires Quick Detailer

My X7 had some smudges that weren't cleaning off real well with the cloth I always use, I'd seen the Quick Detailer suggested here by some of the Rainsong guys I think it was....it worked a lot better than I expected, I sprayed it on the cloth so not to get any on the strings and wasn't going to do the neck, but it worked so well, I did do the neck and it made it nice, clean and smooth. I used the Maguires NXT Quick Detailer, I'm sure other brands would work just as well. Recommended.

GuitarLuva 06-16-2019 07:54 AM

Nice to know, I always liked Meguiar products. I've been using the D'addario restoring polish on my guitars for the last few years, it works quite well also.

JerryM 06-16-2019 08:12 AM

Keep in mind petroleum distillates gas off fumes and we hold our guitars close to our body and breathing. A damp rag and a little drop of Dawn is much safer. Those products are made for auto exteriors. 🚙

jdinco 06-16-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryM (Post 6087871)
Keep in mind petroleum distillates gas off fumes and we hold our guitars close to our body and breathing. A damp rag and a little drop of Dawn is much safer. Those products are made for auto exteriors. 🚙

I had some concerns, I'm sensitive to fragrances ....but no smells or fumes that I could detect after the cleaning, some mild scent while spraying. And are you sure it's a petroleum distillate ? IF it was, it would remove the wax from your car, it does not do that. It's a polymer with added wax. So I think you may be guessing. It works much better than dawn and water. Use what you choose, my results with the detailer were much better than I had anticipated that's why I posted this.

Mark L 06-16-2019 04:59 PM

MSDS (material safety data sheet) of most if not all products should be available upon request from the manufacturer. Many are already posted online on websites. Few commercially available materials/products will be able to claim “proprietary information”.

“Government. Sometimes it’s good for something”.
-Anonymous.
😉

El Duque 06-16-2019 07:57 PM

I am assuming you are using this on a glossy finish.

I have a CF guitar (of660) with a matte finish. I'm wonderin if detailer would work good on that.

I don't want it to leave a residue or change the color of the matte.

JerryM 06-17-2019 07:55 AM

Just concerned for health no problem, use what you want🍷 and enjoy. PD’s don’t remove wax or gloss they are in most auto polishes,

jdinco 06-17-2019 08:15 AM

Got ya, and it could be worse breathing polymers and wax....I don't know. Good advice to at least be cautious if you use it.

Earl49 06-17-2019 08:55 AM

On my list of Top 20 things to worry about, breathing some guitar cleaner fumes is about #27. I get why some people are sensitized, but that is not my current priority.

IMO, one of life's great scents is Hoppe's #9 bore solvent when cleaning my guns. ;)

JerryM 06-17-2019 09:26 AM

Sorry I posted, should have known better, be well.....:D

kramster 06-17-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryM (Post 6088611)

Now you know.

jdinco 06-17-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryM (Post 6088611)

Not sure I understand what there is to be sorry about....:)

steelvibe 06-17-2019 03:23 PM

I put it on pancakes.

jonfields45 06-17-2019 04:32 PM

Has NXT been superceded by newer Meguiars products??? There now seems to be Quick and Ultimate Quick Detailer (no gold however as many of their other products...). Do I want Ultimate or less than Ultimate???

jdinco 06-17-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelvibe (Post 6088878)
I put it on pancakes.

Just don't sniff them. :D