The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Suggestions/Help for selecting the right gear for Logic home studio (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220983)

815C 07-02-2011 03:49 AM

Suggestions/Help for selecting the right gear for Logic home studio

I've been using an ancient Pro Tools LE (rel 5.1) on a mac G4 running OS9 since 2002. I literally have to pray every time I boot it up that the thing will work. Sometimes I have to reboot a half dozen times to get the CD drawer to open. Needless to say, i have a bit of angst about investing a great deal of time recording projects on this relic, as I'm unsure as to how much longer it will function.

I've spent 99% what time and energy I've had over the years for music on playing guitar, and about 1% on recording the guitar. I know how much I don't know.

I've been blessed to have the funds ($5k) to upgrade my studio. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Logic this time. I already have a good monitor, monitor speakers, mics, etc. What I need to get is Logic, a new computer, and an interface.

I'm thinking of a Mac Pro. I don't have an isolation room and it will be in the same room in which I'll be recording acoustic guitar. Are the MacPros quieter than the old G4s? I get a lot of fan noise when I run the G4? Would a MacBook Pro work OK? Does it have enough horse power for recording? Would it be any quieter?

Is Logic 9 the release to get? Or is it still new and somewhat buggy?

What interface would you suggest? I'm fine with a software mixer - don't need an actual board with sliders on it.

Anything else needed?

Any words of wisdom from you subject matter experts would be greatly appreciated!

Joseph Hanna 07-02-2011 04:45 AM

The new iMac's are deadly quick, more powerful than one really needs with Logic and absolutely silent.

815C 07-02-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna (Post 2672882)
The new iMac's are deadly quick, more powerful than one really needs with Logic and absolutely silent.

Cool! That would leave me more $ for other components. What do you think about the Apogee Ensemble for the interface?

Just took another look at the Apogee and realized it doesn't have a MIDI interface. I'm gonna need MIDI. Any thoughts?

Thx!

runamuck 07-02-2011 08:04 AM

Hi,

I took a look at your youtube site: my god you're a fabulous player!

I can strongly recommend the Apogee Ensemble. Just get a separate
MIDI interface - they're cheap.

Jim McCarthy

moon 07-02-2011 08:19 AM

You can get simple midi-only interfaces which plug in to a USB socket. Couldn't tell you which are most stable on mac. Anything class compliant will work without drivers - should have less potential to go wrong.

I picked up a Emu Xboard 61 midi controller keyboard recently which also works as a USB midi interface. Its midi socket can either send Xboard midi data or receive midi from another device.

The Ensemble is a high quality piece of kit. Have you got some good mics?

815C 07-02-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runamuck (Post 2673024)
Hi,

I took a look at your youtube site: my god you're a fabulous player!

Jim McCarthy

Thanks Jim! :)

I talked to a guy a Sweetwater who recommended the RME Fireface UC. What to you guys think about that one? Its a bit cheaper than the Apogee Ensemble.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moon (Post 2673043)
The Ensemble is a high quality piece of kit. Have you got some good mics?

My mics are OK, but not great. I've got a couple Rode NT-5 mics and a Rode NT-1 and an MXL clone of a Neumann. I'd like to get some to quality mics and preamp, but that may be phase II of my project when I get some more funds.

KevWind 07-02-2011 06:24 PM

I have a fairly new Mac Pro Westmere 6 core it is very quiet. Also If I am not mistaken the brand new generations of mac are going to feature a Thunderbolt connection but most peripherals won't have it yet.

I am assuming that Logic functions somewhat similar to Pro tools if so, then you may be able to use the Apogee if you like it, as the pres are very good. You may not need a midi connection on the interface itself . If you are using a midi keyboard and its not to old then it should have a usb out that you can plug into one of the usb connections on the Mac pro. Then select it as your midi peripheral in Logic and you would be good to go. That is how I have my midi set up in my PT rig .

moon 07-03-2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 815C (Post 2673247)
I talked to a guy a Sweetwater who recommended the RME Fireface UC. What to you guys think about that one? Its a bit cheaper than the Apogee Ensemble.

The ensemble has a couple extra pres and slightly more gain on paper (75db v 65db). I wouldn't like to say which one would have better audio quality.

How much I/O do you need? A Babyface has two decent pres, midi, and the option of expansion later via ADAT.

815C 07-03-2011 05:19 AM

I'll probably be using 2 mics at a time for recording acoustic guitar, and on rare occasions 4 mics (for two acoustic instruments being recorded simultaneously).

BTW, I haven't dealt with Sweetwater for many years, but those guys sure are friendly and helpful.

KevWind 07-03-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 815C (Post 2673817)
I'll probably be using 2 mics at a time for recording acoustic guitar, and on rare occasions 4 mics (for two acoustic instruments being recorded simultaneously).

BTW, I haven't dealt with Sweetwater for many years, but those guys sure are friendly and helpful.

If you are going to purchase a new mac and interface etc, let me make a suggestion if I may. I used to deal with Sweetwater and they are quite good. However I now deal with a company out of Boulder Colorado who routinely beat sweetwaters prices and there knowledge is extensive. Plus they are a small 2 man brick and mortar shop and are gems to deal with. They ship all over. If you contact them, ask for either Mickey or Mark and tell them Kevin from Wyoming sent you. They also custom make Mogami cables etc.
Here is their link
http://www.windovertheearth.com/

Joseph Hanna 07-03-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 815C (Post 2672906)
Cool! That would leave me more $ for other components. What do you think about the Apogee Ensemble for the interface?

Just took another look at the Apogee and realized it doesn't have a MIDI interface. I'm gonna need MIDI. Any thoughts?

Thx!

Apogee or RME...simply impossible to go wrong with either!!

alohachris 07-03-2011 01:37 PM

Joseph's RIght About RME or Apogee

Aloha 815C,

Ya can't go wrong with RME or Apogee. I'm with Joseph on that.

But Apogee & Mac have fully integrated their soft & hardware which translates into the most stability you can find in a DAW/interface combo. For Mac's, that gives Apogee the nod. I haven't had a crash in almost three years!

If you are recording a couple tracks at a time & mostly acoustic guitar & vocals, then an iMac/Logic Pro 9/Apogee Duet interface & some kind of storage ext. HD (like a Glyph Quad) to store your projects is all you need for the heart of your home recording system.

You already have everything else except a good studio vocal mic (check out the Mojave MA-200 tube LDC used or new MA-300 multi-pattern Tube LDC - great mic's on many voices & apps.).

I also agree with Joe that a Mac Pro is overkill for you at this stage. The Apogee Ensemble is a fantastic interface. I use one, & its four fantastic mic pre's are adequate for our 2-4 track purposes. But if you're only recording two tracks at a time, 815C, then why not start out on the much cheaper Duet. Same pristine mic pre quality as the Ensemble, small, portable very easy to use. That's what I started out on & still use much of the time.

Yes Logic Pro 9 is the version to buy. The latest upgrade is now 9.1.4.
Here's a great link for ya:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopi...3342f959757c87

I agree that the folks at Sweetwater are great. I've bought thousand$ from them & appreciate their generosity with knowledge & service. But for savings on Mac's including software, I'd check out MacMall, the largest Mac store anywhere. Cheaper. I saved $200 on my iMac & $100 on Logic Pro 9 @ MacMall.

When you buy your new Mac, ask about Apple's 'One-to-One' program. For just $99, you get 1-2 years worth of free training at any Apple store on whatever Mac help you need. I took 56 trainings on Logic Pro 9 with a certified trainer. Best $99 I ever spent, 815C! And they'll extend you for another year @ $99. Check it out. BTW, the one to one, not the group trainings, are much better at those noisy stores.

One last question: How is your Room Treatment?

All the best, 815C!

alohachris

moon 07-03-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 815C (Post 2673817)
I'll probably be using 2 mics at a time for recording acoustic guitar, and on rare occasions 4 mics (for two acoustic instruments being recorded simultaneously)

Sounds like the Ensemble (4 pres) is a better option.

What are your long term goals? If you're planning on spending another $5,000 next year, then I'd maybe buy a quality item now that you won't want to replace later. It costs more in the long run to buy cheaper gear that ends up getting replaced. Some kind of long-term plan should help avoid that.

If not, maybe a Steinberg MR816 CSX (half the price of the Ensemble) and a good mic (or two) eg a Neumann TLM 102 could be a better way to use the budget.

muscmp 07-04-2011 12:46 PM

i use logic 9 on my imac 27", i7, with an apogee ensemble and i have to say the whole setup is easy to use and sounds great. yes, the apogee works seamlessly with the mac and the large imac screen makes it so easy to see i don't even hook up a separate monitor. the apogee's pres are really good and i even run my guitar straight in and it sounds great! note that logic has some great plugins also!
i can recommend this setup 100%!!!

i bought my imac thru JR Computer world in new york. you'll find that there is not much difference in pricing from one mac dealer to the next, but i went with JR as they upgraded my computer keyboard to the one with the numbers pad for free. note that the "normal" one does not include the numbers pad.

good luck!
play music!

KevWind 07-05-2011 07:00 AM

PS I also agree that if you are going to run Logic then perhaps Mac Pro is overkill Because you can get the big dog Imac w/ 27" screen the faster 3,4 GHz Quad Intel i7 processor and 8 gigs of ram for $ 1000 cheaper then the equivalent mac pro. (Would a log way towards another high end mic !)
The new Imac comes with a Thunderbolt connection which if true to the specs is significantly faster than Firewire so when Thunderbolts HD's become more reasonable and common you would be ready.
The only reason I got the mac pro was to be able to run The PTHD native card. Also since you have a good monitor. If it were me I would use it with the Imac and run the mix window on one and the edit window on the other, simultaneously.