The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Sub Bass Strings for Synergy (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425015)

kbenson 04-03-2016 04:05 PM

Sub Bass Strings for Synergy

Hello,
I have a few questions if you are a Synergy owner;
1) Where do you buy sub bass strings? Harpguitars.net sells sets of sub basses but the gauges differ from Emeralds.

2) What tunings and gauges do you use for the sub basses?

I am not an owner but I am considering taking the plunge.

Thanks,
Kevin

Emerald Guitars 04-05-2016 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbenson (Post 4887758)
Hello,
I have a few questions if you are a Synergy owner;
1) Where do you buy sub bass strings? Harpguitars.net sells sets of sub basses but the gauges differ from Emeralds.

2) What tunings and gauges do you use for the sub basses?

I am not an owner but I am considering taking the plunge.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

The sub bass strings we use on the Synergy are specially made for us and the gauges are .056, 060, .064, .068, .080, .084. The strings have a tapered winding at the ends so they can fit through the string posts easier.

You can still use strings from another company, and we usually also recommend harpguitars.net.

If you do order a set of sub bass strings from a different company, they will be longer and won’t have tapered ends, so they may not fit through the string posts on the two lowest strings. You can drill out the string posts, which can be done easily - but with caution, to fit the larger strings.

We can also supply our custom sub bass strings to you directly.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us directly. Our e-mail is [email protected]

Best Wishes

Sean

Doubleneck 04-05-2016 06:53 AM

Just a thought, if you had a belt sander you could tamper the ends of regular strings in a few minutes. Round to flat wound? Never tried it but sure doesn't seem like rocket science? Lol

kbenson 04-09-2016 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info and ideas Sean and Doubleneck. I believe the string holes in GOTOH tuners are 1.8 mm which equates to .0709 inches. That means drilling any string post for gauges above .070 or going with Emerald taper strings.

I think I'd drill the string posts before trying the belt sander idea!

Does the tuner have to be removed? This appears to be common with Harp Guitars. I wonder if StewMac has a video?

Thanks for the info.

steelvibe 04-09-2016 05:28 PM

Seems that searching the forum for ideas about where to find sub bass strings for the Synergy would be a great problem to have!

Just sayin'

Guest 928 04-09-2016 06:04 PM

I'd drill before I tapered--drilling is a permanent resolution. Dremel Tools has a nice set of drill bits with a nice range of sizes. The job does have to be done carefully, but it saves a lot of future time.

Doubleneck 04-10-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 4895397)
I'd drill before I tapered--drilling is a permanent resolution. Dremel Tools has a nice set of drill bits with a nice range of sizes. The job does have to be done carefully, but it saves a lot of future time.

And dremels have a small sanding drum that can be used for tapering? You only need to taper two? Lol