The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Eastman Guitars: Reflections of an Eastman Owner, Four Years In (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540591)

Charmed Life Picks 03-10-2019 02:42 PM

Eastman Guitars: Reflections of an Eastman Owner, Four Years In

When I joined AGF about five years ago, I began to hear about Eastman guitars. Like anything, at first I was skeptical. But I continued to hear such marvelous buzz that at the end of 2015 I acquired my first Eastie, an E-10SS, which is their J-45 clone, Adi over Hog. I was so fortunate to buy it from a gent here on AGF who has since become a good friend.

For three years now he has been begging me to sell it back to me. No dice. It's with me for life and, Keith, you ain't in my will.

A number of you have seen this and commented about how incredible this guitar sounds. I like the purity of performing solo without a pickup. I have some of the best pickups on the market in my guitars, and none of them sound as good live as an $100 SM-58

So here is me playing a solo version of Michael Smith's legendary song, "The Dutchman."

Thanks to all of the knowledgeable members who have such a dramatic impact on my life in music. I am eternally grateful.

Would love to hear from other Eastie owners, new or old, or from those considering acquiring their first Eastman.

thanks,
scott memmer

Ozark 03-10-2019 02:56 PM

Very nice, your voice and the Eastman sounds lovely.

lowrider 03-10-2019 03:06 PM

Beautiful, beautiful version. You sounded fantastic!

And ''great job'' to your camera and sound person!

My problem with Eastman's is that they just aren't available here, around NYC. The two dealers who sell them, Alto and Music Zoo just don't ever have much in stock. I wish I could try more of them. If I could, I just might buy one!

SpruceTop 03-10-2019 03:11 PM

Scott, Mighty Fine Guitar & Amplified Tone! I acquired an Eastman EB-WL1 Whyte Laydie No. 2, 5-String Banjo last year and can attest to the quality and value of Eastman instruments. I've played a few of Eastman's guitars and they, too, were superb sounding and playing instruments. Play On!

Charmed Life Picks 03-10-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrider (Post 6002909)
Beautiful, beautiful version. You sounded fantastic!

And ''great job'' to your camera and sound person!

My problem with Eastman's is that they just aren't available here, around NYC. The two dealers who sell them, Alto and Music Zoo just don't ever have much in stock. I wish I could try more of them. If I could, I just might buy one!

Low, I always like to play a guitar before I buy it, of course, but I bought this one used, very clean and fantastic sounding, from a fellow member. I wouldn't rule out used, as you take that new guitar "sticker shock" out of the equation.

This one cost me only $850 and is now $1100 new I believe, and it's world-class.

So you might consider looking in CL and FB Marketplace, if you prefer to play before you buy; or, if not, eBay and Reverb from a reputable dealer. You might even contact Ted at L.A. Guitar Sales to see if he's taken in any on trade.

Thanks for the kind words. One of my favorite songs, which I've been playing for close to 30 years now.

Always good to chat with you, Low,

sm

chistrummer 03-10-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks (Post 6002918)
Low, I always like to play a guitar before I buy it, of course, but I bought this one used, very clean and fantastic sounding, from a fellow member. I wouldn't rule out used, as you take that new guitar "sticker shock" out of the equation.

This one cost me only $850 and is now $1100 new I believe, and it's world-class.

So you might consider looking in CL and FB Marketplace, if you prefer to play before you buy; or, if not, eBay and Reverb from a reputable dealer. You might even contact Ted at L.A. Guitar Sales to see if he's taken in any on trade.

Thanks for the kind words. One of my favorite songs, which I've been playing for close to 30 years now.

Always good to chat with you, Low,

sm

Nicely done, Scott.

calstang66 03-10-2019 03:48 PM

I'm a rather loyal Eastman fan. My Eastman AC422CE, a Grand Auditorium size sitka/rosewood classic, new about $1000, is fabulous. I honestly would not trade for many of the big brand name guitars, unless I'd be allowed to sell the Martin I traded it for, so I could then use that money to buy back my Eastman and also then buy a diamond necklace for my wife. Folks get "accustomed" to what they are used to, to what their peers appreciate and loyalty to what youve committed years to, also influences us. Eastman's classic E8D, dread sika/rosewood vs Martin's D-28 and Eastman's E6D sitka/mahogany dread vs Martin's D-18 are two of the best guitar values on the planet.

There have been more than just a few big brand used guitars on the web for sale, by folks who have discovered Eastmans.

rokdog49 03-10-2019 05:23 PM

The thing about the Eastman family of guitars is they have a sound (voice) of their own and it's a good one.
Seems like human nature to make comparisons with other guitars...understandable, but of little value and not very relevant.

Scolaguitar 03-10-2019 05:26 PM

I was just playing my E20SS today and my husband goes "man, that sounds so good!" He has his own guitars but of course, we share. He keeps picking up my Eastman.

llew 03-10-2019 05:29 PM

I grabbed a E20D-TC recently and am amazed by it. Owned an AC820 and AC520 years ago but these newer models are far superior to my ears.

Steadfastly 03-10-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 6003052)
The thing about the Eastman family of guitars is they have a sound (voice) of their own and it's a good one.
Seems like human nature to make comparisons with other guitars...understandable, but of little value and not very relevant.

Both happen. I have seen it without doing the comparison on purpose. We need to remember that building guitars is not rocket science as many would have us believe. Why do you think so much money is spent on marketing?

Sagebrush Tom 03-10-2019 05:50 PM

Like you Scott i started hearing about Eastman around 5 years ago and was quite pleasantly surprised by their pricing and their tone on some of the videos i listened to. Summer of 2015 i bought my first Eastman, E20 OMSB and still feel the same excitement playing it today as i did back then. It's definitely a keeper and now i'm about a month away obtaining my second Eastman, E10 00 which just checks off every box on what i want in a small body guitar. And i agree with llew that Eastman has really upped their quality on their newer models.

The Kid! 03-10-2019 08:58 PM

Sounds killer. Great performance.

I had an E10SS and it didn't work for me. It had too many (beautiful) overtones and I never liked it amplified. My cousin bought it and loves it though. Yours sounds drier to me in this video. I would have kept mine if it sounded like this.

It was a great guitar, but it didn't work for me or sound anything like my 45's do. Sounded more like a J15 to me, but not quite....

They do make wonderful instruments though, and I'd definitely consider buying one again someday.

Side note: Just ordered a 2.0 red casein from you. Looking forward to trying it out!

TRose 03-10-2019 09:10 PM

Who has experience with the Eastman parlor guitar? I’m considering a 0-sized guitar.

Charmed Life Picks 03-10-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kid! (Post 6003256)
Sounds killer. Great performance.

I had an E10SS and it didn't work for me. It had too many (beautiful) overtones and I never liked it amplified. My cousin bought it and loves it though. Yours sounds drier to me in this video. I would have kept mine if it sounded like this.

It was a great guitar, but it didn't work for me or sound anything like my 45's do. Sounded more like a J15 to me, but not quite....

They do make wonderful instruments though, and I'd definitely consider buying one again someday.

Side note: Just ordered a 2.0 red casein from you. Looking forward to trying it out!

Didn't want to hijack the thread, but thanks to all the generous comments. Believe it or not, the intent of the post was to focus on the tone of the guitar and not necessarily on my singing or performance. They're just amazing instruments.

Kid, like any brand, all guitars have their uniqueness, even if they come down the line one after the other. I feel incredibly blessed to have this guitar. As you say, it is very dry and woody but also articulate and warm. I love my HD-28, which has its own merits, but the E-10SS is more versatile and also an incredible fingerstyle instrument as well.

Funny, I just came home from an open mic with that guitar, and an acquaintance said after I played, "What kind of guitar is that? It sounds incredible." In this instance, it was plugged in, but it has a top-line Trance Audio Amulet in it and really delivers. Living in L.A., I'm fortunate to have some of the best luthiers in the industry in my back yard. The install was done by the incredible Bill Asher, who does all the setups and installs for Jackson Browne, a notorious tone chaser. Not cheap, but I'm a fanatic about wooden acoustic tone.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I wish I wrote 'em as good as Michael Smith.

scott