The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Should I get a new USB interface? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532714)

tdq 12-27-2018 04:39 AM

Should I get a new USB interface?

I have a VERY old M-Audio MobilePre USB interface. When I record stuff I've been noticing a pretty loud noise - turns out my electric guitar was the main culprit, very noisy!! - but this led me to do some tests with other instruments and then even with nothing plugged in at all, there is still a fairly low-level noise that I get in the background. I only record for fun on home projects so it's not a deal breaker, and not really noticeable once a couple of tracks are down, but I'm wondering even with the newer USB devices on the market is this noise still there or are they completely quiet? I'm thinking of a scarlet solo, but if they still have low-level noise I might use my xmas gift-card on something else :)

MikeBmusic 12-27-2018 07:50 AM

IF you buy from Guitar Center, you've got 30 days to try it out and return it if you don't like it - but I would think that a new AI (in the $99 or higher price range) would have less noise than the MobilePre, which is very 'old generation'.

rick-slo 12-27-2018 09:37 AM

Noise not inherent in USB. Could be a ground loop if the frequency of the noise is about 50 hertz (Australia).

Hurricane Ramon 12-27-2018 12:02 PM

Focusrite Scarlett 2nd. Gen

:cool:
One thing I first tested my Scarlett 6i6 was it's S/N ratio as well as THD .
:up:
These units are dead quiet with their front end gain up max with no input .
With a LDC 48VDC phantom condenser , again silence , a Shure SM57 same thing .
:(
They are beginning to show signs that the price is going up and in a recent catalog
I just got , and yep , they are all about $10.00 higher now so what ever you get do it soon .

EZ :

HR

GTR1960 12-27-2018 09:07 PM

Most interfaces now day are pretty quite, and have good preamps in them. Focusrite , Behringer, and others have low cost but good interfaces. Although I'd make sure it's your interface making the noise. What kind of monitors are you using? If using LDCs make sure you're not picking up computer fan noise, HVAC , refrigerator , humidifier. Also some lower and powered monitors have been known to pick up a bit of hum off of non-conditioned electrical sources.

MikeBmusic 12-28-2018 08:13 AM

The OP said the noise was there with nothing plugged in, so my guess is that its the inherent noise floor of the unit.

paulp1960 12-28-2018 09:11 AM

If you don't want to spend much the Behringer UMC series are great performers. I have the UMC202 and UMC404 and they run without drivers on Apple OS-X and provide very low latency. They are quiet as well and handle my mics, guitars and bass guitar very well.

Caddy 12-28-2018 03:54 PM

My Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is dead quiet and the preamps sound really good.

tdq 12-29-2018 04:14 PM

Hey everyone thanks for the replies, helpful info. I still haven't decided but I'm leaning towards a new unit.