The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Tom Sands M-12 / Swiss Spruce and Malaysian Blackwood (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579993)

TomB'sox 03-31-2021 08:34 AM

Wow, what a beautiful piece. I am a huge fan of Will McNichol and he was to play at the 2020 rendition of B.I.G. and Tom Sands and Daisy were going to be there too. It was heart wrenching when we had to cancel. I asked him to bring Innotet along too, but he did not think they would fit in his carry on!

Very special song and the guitar and cello are perfect together. Congrats!

Nemoman 03-31-2021 09:05 AM

Very cool--thanks for sharing it with us!

Deft Tungsman 03-31-2021 09:10 AM

Absolutely brilliant!!!!

Your partner is lucky to have found you, Thomas. :up::up::up:

MThomson 03-31-2021 12:09 PM

What a lovely thing to be able to share. I think Will is a fabulous player and composer.

cigarfan 03-31-2021 02:04 PM

Very special piece. She's got a great dimple too! ;)

Guitars44me 04-01-2021 08:36 AM

Commissions...

Not only have you commissioned a spectacular instrument, but a lovely piece of music as well! Nice double play!

This is just PEACHY! Way to go.

Congratulations and a big BRAVO to all involved in the entire operation

Paul

Richard Mott 04-01-2021 12:42 PM

Guitars don’t sound any better than that!

Vaillant75 04-01-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman (Post 6678128)
Absolutely brilliant!!!!

Your partner is lucky to have found you, Thomas. :up::up::up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MThomson (Post 6678312)
What a lovely thing to be able to share. I think Will is a fabulous player and composer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 6678416)
Very special piece. She's got a great dimple too! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6678982)
Not only have you commissioned a spectacular instrument, but a lovely piece of music as well! Nice double play!

This is just PEACHY! Way to go.

Congratulations and a big BRAVO to all involved in the entire operation

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Mott (Post 6679259)
Guitars don’t sound any better than that!

Thank you all for the kind words. It certainly brings a fitting end to this first build experience.

Vaillant75 04-01-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6678082)
Wow, what a beautiful piece. I am a huge fan of Will McNichol and he was to play at the 2020 rendition of B.I.G. and Tom Sands and Daisy were going to be there too. It was heart wrenching when we had to cancel. I asked him to bring Innotet along too, but he did not think they would fit in his carry on!

Thanks for the kind words.
I remember Tom being over the moon about B.I.G. last year, and I am certain you guys will make it happen in another installment. The guitar he created for this occasion ("Alejandra" I believe) is one of my favorite to date.

steveh 04-03-2021 03:31 AM

Thanks +++ for uploading that: I enjoyed it a lot: I thought you played a lot like Will until I realised it was him playing!

I commissioned a piece of music myself a couple of years ago from a favourite player of mine, and it's very special indeed to be able to help create something unique to you. It was extraordinarily exciting to hear the piece performed for the first time by the musician, knowing that you are responsible for it.

Someone also pointed out to me that by doing so you are supporting the musicians who have sufficient talent to compose well, and are adding to the body of work. That's quite different to commissioning yet another guitar.

Cheers,
Steve

Vaillant75 12-22-2021 04:24 PM

One year already...

A year ago I received this very special gift under the Christmas tree, so I figured I would share my feelings now that the dust has settled.

Rest reassured I won't be gushing as much as I did when receiving the guitar, but the connection is still going strong. I might have had a couple of months when I went through some string experimentation (which is often a waste of time..) before going back to my trusty Elixirs.
Over the past year the guitar has opened up nicely. Its sweetness and clarity have gotten incrementally better while the trebles have warmed up quite a bit. Plus, this guitar works SO well with a capo... Below my modest take using a Iphone on Leaving Stoer (DADGAD capo 4) which I think shows it well:

I confirm my initial feelings of being the most playable guitar I've ever owned. I can go for hours without feeling any strain, and the guitar sounding better might also be the result of me tuning into it plus hopefully some progress over the past year :)

Lastly, and most importantly, the emotional bond is still very much intact. It has been such a great experience that has elevated the guitar above the rest.

Cheers,

jonnymosco 12-22-2021 04:34 PM

Nice to hear that you and the guitar are still getting on and that "Leaving Stoer" is sounding sweet.

Jonny

MThomson 12-22-2021 04:53 PM

I'm really pleased that you're still enjoying the connection. It's a beautiful sounding guitar. And I thought that piece you played was beautiful - going to have to look that one up!

Jeff Mc 12-22-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6678082)

I remember checking out the luthiers that I had never heard of before the cancellation and bought Renn (the Bog Oak guitar) from Tom about a year ago. A great guitar!

volman 12-22-2021 09:11 PM

Beautiful guitar that sounds great. Owning one of Tom's guitars is definitely on my bucket list.