The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Kala KA-C or Cordoba 15cm as a Gift? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596288)

airpatrick 10-25-2020 01:08 PM

Kala KA-C or Cordoba 15cm as a Gift?

Hello there! I’m looking to purchase a beginning ukulele as a Christmas gift for my significant other. I’ve never played one and know very little. I’ve done some reading the last few days and think a concert size would be a good choice. It seems like the Kala KA-C and Cordoba 15cm are consistently recommended as good concert sized beginner ukuleles. I’ll be buying online, most likely through forum-sponsor Sweetwater. Is there any advantage to one over the other? I really don’t know how to decide. While I don’t mind spending more, I’d prefer to have her pick out the next, more expensive model if she enjoys it. I know I’m particular with my guitars.

Playguitar 10-27-2020 01:08 AM

I have been very happy with the Kala ukuleles that I have purchased. I have found Kala to be a good value for the money.

Steve DeRosa 10-27-2020 07:59 AM

Check out some of the Ohana offerings before you buy - a bit hard to find (Elderly usually carries a good stock) but IME a couple notches above similar Kala and Lanikai ukes in terms of both tone and QC...

airpatrick 10-28-2020 12:02 PM

Thanks for the replies. The Ohana products look really nice. It seems the CK-10 and CK-14 are comparable to the Cordoba and Kala models I mentioned. I’ll let you know what I decide. Any other suggestions are welcome as well as recommendations for other places to purchase Ohana models. I didn’t see the CK-10/14 at Elderly. I did find a few other places.

jricc 10-28-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airpatrick (Post 6535845)
Thanks for the replies. The Ohana products look really nice. It seems the CK-10 and CK-14 are comparable to the Cordoba and Kala models I mentioned. I’ll let you know what I decide. Any other suggestions are welcome as well as recommendations for other places to purchase Ohana models. I didn’t see the CK-10/14 at Elderly. I did find a few other places.

I have the Cordoba and it's a nice starter uke. I also have an Ohana but it's a bit more expensive. The Ohana ukes are really nice for the money.

airpatrick 10-29-2020 08:44 AM

Thanks again for the replies. I went with an Ohana CK-14 from Dave’s Island Instruments. I wouldn’t have gone this direction without your help.

jricc 10-29-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airpatrick (Post 6536572)
Thanks again for the replies. I went with an Ohana CK-14 from Dave’s Island Instruments. I wouldn’t have gone this direction without your help.

Nice choice! I think your significant other will enjoy it...All the best!