The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   any advice on sobriety? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547117)

Floridapicker 05-17-2019 09:09 PM

any advice on sobriety?

This post will be moved. but its time I put down the Booze. 12 steps dosent work for me any advice fellow pickers? sorry to even have to post this.

dougt 05-17-2019 09:15 PM

Good luck, I have been sober since 82, it took rock bottom to get my attention.

flaggerphil 05-17-2019 09:16 PM

Just wondering why 12 steps doesn't work? Asking as someone who has had four alcoholics in his immediate family.

vindibona1 05-17-2019 09:21 PM

I've not been in that situation and can only imagine the hell it puts you throught. I don't know what to say except that I'm sorry for your struggle.

caysea 05-17-2019 09:33 PM

Hi Fl picker
Check out the site Smart recovery. An alternative to AA
It is online and also has face to face meetings.

KC

CASD57 05-17-2019 09:35 PM

You need to find the root of the problem.. It could be anything...Work...Home life...anything, Fixing the problem has to come from you first,
A reason why 12 steps works is because they want it to work..
And they use it as a soundboard to let it go, all of above.
Sometimes life can be to much and it's best if you talk about it with people who understand

sakar12 05-17-2019 09:42 PM

Good for you. It’s a hard path, but you’re making the right decision.

dereklaney 05-17-2019 09:51 PM

Couple thoughts

1. Admit you gotta stop to someone close — someone who will know you’re cheating if you cheat.

2. NEVER NEGOTIATE WITH YOURSELF AGAIN. None of those private agreements with yourself. There’s no “I can handle 1 a day or every other day or no more than 2” or WHATEVER bs you tell yourself. Don’t trust that guy. He lies

rumble 05-17-2019 10:11 PM

Find some one you connect with who’s has been in a similar space and succeeded. It’s work and it’s worth it for the joy of better music making.

Floridapicker 05-17-2019 10:17 PM

you guys rock....
thanks....

Graybeard65 05-17-2019 11:04 PM

My humble two~ 12 steps didn’t work for me until I was ready to do the work. It is a program of action, and requires full measures. A friend suggested that I find another alcoholic that was in recovery, and talk - and talk - and talk.

In the community where I live, there are many, many of us that have found one another and a path to recovery. Call your local group, and ask for help - someone will listen, and help is often just a phone call away.

If you slip and fall, keep coming back - we don’t shoot our wounded, and you’re always welcome.

If you need to talk , pm me for my number.

jklotz 05-17-2019 11:19 PM

Hey brother, I wish you the best of luck! Reaching out is a good 1st step.

Guitars+gems 05-17-2019 11:46 PM

My last drink was in 1985. I'd also be interested in knowing why 12 steps don't work for you. First step is:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

Are you there yet?

Allentown 05-17-2019 11:48 PM

I am in no place to advise, but knowing what you need to do (I.e., quit) seems like a crucial first step. I applaud you for that and am confidant that by taking it one day at a time you will find what works for you. Keep playing. I am glad AGF is a community where you were comfortable to raise this.

tippy5 05-18-2019 12:25 AM

Wish I knew what to say but it sure feels good after those thoughts go away. It has been a decade or more since I was under its spell. With summer ahead there are plenty of activities to help keep tempting thoughts at bay. Guitar playing being a great one. Maybe do a walking program, or something new with someone?