The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The 5am Tango (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548886)

Michael Watts 06-06-2019 11:56 PM

The 5am Tango

Hello everyone,

Here's a one-take run through my new piece The 5am Tango. It was written all over the world starting in London last year and ending up in Texas this spring. I hope you enjoy it!

I have also posted this behind the scenes video after several requests to show more of my writing process.

All the best

MDW

Glennwillow 06-07-2019 08:46 AM

Hi Michael!

Well! I love your "5AM Tango" performance and I enjoyed your additional video "Writing the 5AM Tango." I particularly enjoyed listening and watching you walk along that river bank in Durham! What an absolutely lovely background!

Was the person doing the video holding the video camera in their hands and just walking along with you? I'm amazed, if that is the case, regarding how steady the camera is.

Both videos are beautifully done!

Thanks so much -- what a treat!

- Glenn

jaymarsch 06-07-2019 08:56 AM

Beautiful piece, Michael. I also loved the second video and the walk along the River Wear. I took that walk way back in 1979 when I first went to Northern England to visit the Penshaw area where my maternal grandmother was born and raised. Thanks for the lovely music and for bringing back that pleasant memory.

Best,
Jayne

islandguitar 06-07-2019 09:10 PM

Thank you, Michael for composing and sharing this wonderful piece! How fortunate we are to have you bringing us your music and a glimpse of your creative process!!!
Best,
Fred

TBman 06-07-2019 10:08 PM

Here's my thought process for opening this thread and watching the video having never listened or seen MW play before...

5am Tango? Odd name.

{Opens the thread}

The guy is wearing a suit jacket to play guitar? Who does that?

{Watched the video.}

Yep.

Great stuff.

Who wears a suit jacket and plays guitar? Michael Watts does. You got a problem with that? :D

rémy64 06-08-2019 12:25 AM

Very nice composition

Michael Watts 06-08-2019 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6080658)
Hi Michael!

Well! I love your "5AM Tango" performance and I enjoyed your additional video "Writing the 5AM Tango." I particularly enjoyed listening and watching you walk along that river bank in Durham! What an absolutely lovely background!

Was the person doing the video holding the video camera in their hands and just walking along with you? I'm amazed, if that is the case, regarding how steady the camera is.

Both videos are beautifully done!

Thanks so much -- what a treat!

- Glenn

Thank you Glenn, I'm very glad you enjoyed the videos! The cameraman for the day was actually my dad who seems to have an instinctive grasp of how to frame a shot and keep the whole thing steady. Except for one classic blooper moment where he fell in a hedge... But with Durham riverbanks in the background you can't really go wrong...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymarsch (Post 6080666)
Beautiful piece, Michael. I also loved the second video and the walk along the River Wear. I took that walk way back in 1979 when I first went to Northern England to visit the Penshaw area where my maternal grandmother was born and raised. Thanks for the lovely music and for bringing back that pleasant memory.

Best,
Jayne

Thank you Jayne! I was very lucky to have grown up in the North East and the landscapes and people continue to inspire me. It's a beautiful place and although I've been fortunate enough to travel and live all over the world it still feels like home to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 6081244)
Thank you, Michael for composing and sharing this wonderful piece! How fortunate we are to have you bringing us your music and a glimpse of your creative process!!!
Best,
Fred

Thanks for watching Fred! I'm glad you liked it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 6081275)
Here's my thought process for opening this thread and watching the video having never listened or seen MW play before...

5am Tango? Odd name.

{Opens the thread}

The guy is wearing a suit jacket to play guitar? Who does that?

{Watched the video.}

Yep.

Great stuff.

Who wears a suit jacket and plays guitar? Michael Watts does. You got a problem with that? :D

Ha ha! Yes, I do. The funny thing is, if I was playing jazz on a sunburst 175 or my own White Falcon I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid about how I dress.

There are a lot of parallels with guitar making and tailoring (I worked at a Tailoring house on Savile Row for a while) and I love watching things be created using traditional skills and reverence for natural materials.

So yeah, I love luthier-made guitars and bespoke tailoring, I guess I'm looking for quality, detail and nuance that you don't find anywhere else

Quote:

Originally Posted by rémy64 (Post 6081306)
Very nice composition

Thank you very much!

SprintBob 06-11-2019 11:56 AM

Great job Michael and I really enjoyed the walkabout, very insightful into your creative process. Your Kostal sounds (and looks) amazing.

I’d love to see the tab/notation for that song in the future.

Michael Watts 07-04-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6084059)
Great job Michael and I really enjoyed the walkabout, very insightful into your creative process. Your Kostal sounds (and looks) amazing.

I’d love to see the tab/notation for that song in the future.

Thank you Bob! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes, I'm very lucky, Jason Kostal has made me some superb instruments.

TAB and notation will be coming in the future!