The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New James May Ultra Tonic?! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608988)

martingitdave 03-05-2021 08:13 AM

New James May Ultra Tonic?!

Folks, I've been mostly absent the last year from the forum (with a few exceptions of selling gear) due to the pandemic. However, I just noticed (thanks Cuki!) the new JME UT pickup design with the single sensor and passive volume control.

Frankly, this new design with easier installation is really genius for folks who prefer passive pickups but want feedback resistance!

For instance, I just got an inexpensive used RainSong for future gigs and travel and I installed a K&K. Sure, it sounds great as expected, but I am KICKING myself for not spending the extra money on the new UT design.

Why? Because with the UT design I would have the built in passive feedback control for use with the band.

Depending on how things go in the future, I may be ripping out that K&K.

Happy amplification all!

Cuki79 03-05-2021 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 6653809)
However, I just noticed (thanks Cuki!) the new JME UT pickup design with the single sensor and passive volume control.

I am keeping MartinGitDave update about pickup... maybe it's time I seek for medical help.

martingitdave 03-05-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuki79 (Post 6653839)
I am keeping MartinGitDave update about pickup... maybe it's time I seek for medical help.

The pupil became the master. I now sit at your feet. Lol

Cuki79 03-05-2021 09:49 AM

I already post that previously:

What I "think" is great about James new design is:
1) I "guess" that a large sensor annihilate the "position" problem, by adding the contribution from all the points under the large surface sensor, you could get an "average" sensor response which is more balanced in the higher frequencies.

You the would not have to freak out about cancelling or resonant frequencies related to sensors positions.

2) The cost is maybe an over-hyped low end due too the large surface giving a huge weight to the main top mode.

3) James elegant cancelling sensor tames that and make the overall response of the pickup balanced.

PS: Don't yell at me... I did not verify that. It's just my interpretation from a pickup aficionado point of view...

my 2 cents,
Cuki

fwphoto 03-05-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Well, if your guitar already has a K&K in it, there is an Ultra Tonic conversion available. I have a K&K equipped OM-21 that is about to go into the shop for some work & I'm considering converting the K&K to Ultra Tonic. Check out his website for the UTP V3.2-CK:

http://jamesmayengineering.com/products/

Frank

Cuki79 03-05-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwphoto (Post 6653922)
Well, if your guitar already has a K&K in it, there is an Ultra Tonic conversion available. I have a K&K equipped OM-21 that is about to go into the shop for some work & I'm considering converting the K&K to Ultra Tonic. Check out his website for the UTP V3.2-CK:

Frank

Dave knows. He had one. I know exactly where it is...

Chriscom 03-05-2021 10:34 AM

Great to see you Dave! I'm hyped up on all the pickup info I've been seeing lately, as I get ready to rejoin my local open mic circuit with a couple vaccines under my belt (I'm halfway there) and outdoorsy venues.

martingitdave 03-05-2021 12:42 PM

Good to connect again too! I'm likely to go back into hiding due to work, but I was intrigued with this new one.

martingitdave 03-05-2021 12:44 PM

Indeed. Thank you Frank.
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwphoto (Post 6653922)

Frank

tadol 03-05-2021 10:23 PM

The UT retrofit model is much easier to install than it is to remove a K&K and install the regular UT - and works just as great -

SpruceTop 03-06-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Folks, I've been mostly absent the last year from the forum (with a few exceptions of selling gear) due to the pandemic. However, I just noticed (thanks Cuki!) the new JME UT pickup design with the single sensor and passive volume control.

Frankly, this new design with easier installation is really genius for folks who prefer passive pickups but want feedback resistance!

For instance, I just got an inexpensive used RainSong for future gigs and travel and I installed a K&K. Sure, it sounds great as expected, but I am KICKING myself for not spending the extra money on the new UT design.

Why? Because with the UT design I would have the built in passive feedback control for use with the band.

Happy amplification all!

Thanks, Dave, for your ongoing pickup journey that helps many of us in our individual quest in what we're hoping to hear and accomplish!

jonfields45 03-06-2021 06:04 PM

I think a single "head" main sensor is a plus. Obscure phasing issues between multiple heads is avoided (the extra bass peak phase canceller head is a feature, not an unintended problem). I liked the Schatten for this reason too. I think the guitar to guitar K&K problems (love and not so much love) is a byproduct of 3 heads.

There is no doubt in my mind that James' latest pickup is more expensive to manufacture and nice step up for a passive SBT design.

martingitdave 03-06-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6655175)
Thanks, Dave, for your ongoing pickup journey that helps many of us in our individual quest in what we're hoping to hear and accomplish!

Thank you!

martingitdave 03-06-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 6655363)
I think a single "head" main sensor is a plus. Obscure phasing issues between multiple heads is avoided (the extra bass peak phase canceller head is a feature, not an unintended problem). I liked the Schatten for this reason too. I think the guitar to guitar K&K problems (love and not so much love) is a byproduct of 3 heads.

There is no doubt in my mind that James' latest pickup is more expensive to manufacture and nice step up for a passive SBT design.

I agree for sure. It's great engineering. I feel like I need another guitar just to try this pickup. Lol!

fedexnman 03-07-2021 06:53 AM

I'd love to try this pickup I have K&k and a Baggs element and been through a bunch over the years . My only hang up is I can't stand volume or tone controls wheels . I wonder if you can get away without that an unsolder it and not install that part ?