The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Recommendation for video editing software for guitar videos (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608493)

815C 02-28-2021 09:31 AM

Recommendation for video editing software for guitar videos

I used to use Final Cut Express to make/edit guitar videos for YouTube. But my old computer died and my old version of Final Cut won't run the newer mac OS.

Any recommendations for video editing software?

I don't a whole lot of features. Just the following:
  • Frame in Frame (e.g. multiple videos showing up "Brady Bunch" style)
  • Able to add captions
  • Don't want to spend a lot on it :)

Thanks

hubcapsc 02-28-2021 09:58 AM

My quick google search indicates that ffmpeg works on macOS... it will do
an amazing amount of video and audio stuff, is free and works from
the command line. Doesn't macOS still seem sort of unixish when you
open a terminal?

-Mike

Ozzy the dog 02-28-2021 10:05 AM

I use HitFilm Express. Free to download and very powerful - or simple if you don't want to be winning Oscars.

KevWind 02-28-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 815C (Post 6649281)
I used to use Final Cut Express to make/edit guitar videos for YouTube. But my old computer died and my old version of Final Cut won't run the newer mac OS.

Any recommendations for video editing software?

I don't a whole lot of features. Just the following:
  • Frame in Frame (e.g. multiple videos showing up "Brady Bunch" style)
  • Able to add captions
  • Don't want to spend a lot on it :)

Thanks

So if Final Cut Pro X $299 price is "a lot"

There is always the bundled iMovie and you can do a split screen and text and titles FX etc (but I do not know if you can do more than one split screen (two screens)

You might look into DaVinci Resolve free version I know the paid Studio version is highly acclaimed. But since I have had FCPX for long time I have not tried DaVinci Resolve

Scroll down about 2/3 you will see the Download for free option

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

robj144 02-28-2021 12:23 PM

Resolve is amazing for free. It has nearly every professional tool available. There's even a DAW in it for editing the audio.

Martin Maniac 03-05-2021 08:37 PM

I use Adobe Premier Elements 2020 works great on my computer. I believe it cost around $79-99 bucks, worth every cent.

i

catdaddy 03-06-2021 07:14 AM

Another recommendation for the free version of DaVinci Resolve. Lots of features, works well with my Mac.

lkingston 03-06-2021 01:20 PM

Recommendation for video editing software for guitar videos

My only problem with Resolve is that it needs a really powerful graphics card. If you have that, Resolve is fantastic. If you don't, it's not really useable.

The free version of Resolve is good enough that it is worth considering spending the money you would expect to spend on video editing on a computer (or just a graphics card) that can support it.

lkingston 03-06-2021 01:34 PM

Personally however, Iíve been using Luma Fusion on an iPad Pro and couldnít be happier. I have the 512GB 2018 iPad Pro. I use a networked RAID backuped hard drive for archiving projects which makes it feasible.

keith.rogers 03-06-2021 02:03 PM

I would start out with iMovie. It's pretty good for free, and I've still reverted to it for really quick "how-to" clips I've shared with friends in the pandemic times.

There are just a couple things that pushed me to FCPX, primarily being able to quickly do multi-cam clips and do minor/slight rotations, because for a while I was working with cameras that had to be placed in ways they could not easily checked for perfect alignment/orientation, if at all, and even slightly tilted videos made me crazy(er)....

Brent Hahn 03-06-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith.rogers (Post 6655074)
I would start out with iMovie. It's pretty good for free, and I've still reverted to it for really quick "how-to" clips I've shared with friends in the pandemic times.

There are just a couple things that pushed me to FCPX, primarily being able to quickly do multi-cam clips and do minor/slight rotations, because for a while I was working with cameras that had to be placed in ways they could not easily checked for perfect alignment/orientation, if at all, and even slightly tilted videos made me crazy(er)....

The latest iMovie has a "tilt-fixer" of sorts. But the multi-cam thing is still only doable with multiple renders and lots of planning several steps ahead. I really need to move up to a slicker editor, but at this point iMovie's "the devil I know." I cut this video of my "Quarantine Band" with it.

BoneDigger 03-06-2021 02:57 PM

I use Corel Video Studio. It's not overly expensive but works well.

difalkner 03-06-2021 03:12 PM

I've used Cyberlink PowerDirector for years and thought about going to the monthly subscription (right now I'm on Version 16). But I downloaded Da Vinci Resolve to see if I can learn that. Failing a better graphics card for Resolve you might try the subscription for PowerDirector 365 Basic, less than $5 per month. The full blown PD with all the features is about $8 per month.

David

Martin Maniac 03-06-2021 05:12 PM

resolve doesn't work on my computer.

Daniel Grenier 03-06-2021 06:43 PM

You may want to look into Reaper. It is, of course, a DAW but it can also handle all youíre looking for in terms of videos and it may even be the simplest/easiest option since you could do your guitar recording and video edit in one app.