The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New Gretsch P90s, and amp? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638025)

rbpicker 01-25-2022 09:40 AM

New Gretsch P90s, and amp?

Anyone played one of the newer Gretsch models with the staple P90 pickups? I played one yesterday at the local mom and pop shop and really liked the vibe.

The one I played was the smaller semi-hollow body (2655) I think.
They are in the Streamliner lineup, which seems to represent one heck of of a
value.

Also, in the event one of those finds it’s way to my house, what might be a good low watt amp for that pickup? I play mostly clean with a little OD now and then.

Roger

BoneDigger 01-25-2022 05:34 PM

I actually had a chance to play one of these the other day at GC and enjoyed the experience. The Streamliner series is quite good for the money and I thought the P90s sounds good. Assuming you are in the US, and unless you are just in a huge hurry, I would wait until GC/MF has another sale. Probably they will have one for President's Day in Late February. I have seen the Streamliners go for a VERY tempting price during their sales.

As for an amp, have you considered one of the Fender SuperChamp XD or X2 amps?

Steve DeRosa 01-25-2022 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbpicker (Post 6915597)
...I play mostly clean with a little OD now and then...

Sounds very much like my own style, and IME you might want to seek out a more powerful amp than many folks would recommend for home use; as I'm sure you're aware "good" electric guitar tone doesn't necessarily equate with massive amounts of gain and distortion rendered at OSHA-hazard volume levels and, as with a good home-audio system, the reserve power provides the dynamic/frequency range and headroom that makes your clean tones pop...

Since you are mostly a clean player, IME you also don't need all the bells-&-whistles that are part-&-parcel of a typical modeling rig: focus on something that'll consistently deliver the tone(s) you're hearing in your head, at any volume level you're likely to need (not playing out yet - plan ahead, because you will sooner than later) with nothing more than guitar-cable amp - the guitarists' adaptation of the old audiophile "straight-wire-with-gain" sonic ideal. FWIW I'm a Gretsch player who also ventures into the P-90 realm for harder rock, jazz comping, and roots music, and this one's been my go-to gig-rig since 2010:

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media...3_Front_XL.pnghttps://mediadl.musictribe.com/media...03_Rear_XL.png

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

With 22 watts of all-tube power (in the same category as the Fender Deluxe Reverb/Super-sonic 22), this one'll cover a 600-700 seat hall clean as you need or dirty as you want, scales down to 15 watts for lower-volume practice (while also introducing a whole set of early-British tones, mostly of the pre-Top Boost Vox variety), and doesn't lose tone when you dial it back in either mode (unlike many similar amps). Best part of the deal is that, with a little bit of careful shopping/haggling on your part (and possibly a coupon/holiday special or two) you can score one of these for around $400, about one-third the price of the aforementioned Fenders - and if you still need more clean headroom (or extra punch for the bigger gigs) the big-brother V55 combo can be had for a mere $50-60 more. Proof positive that inexpensive doesn't necessarily equate with cheap, and if you have any doubts use the AGF search engine to find reviews/comments from many of your happy fellow Forumite owners... :cool:

rbpicker 01-25-2022 09:58 PM

Thanks guys.

Bonedigger, I’ve owned the Super Champ models you mentioned. While I REALLY wanted to love them, I couldn’t warm up to the sound, even with all the multitude of effects and amp model choices they offer.

Steve, I’m intrigued with the Bugera product, having played one or two at GC a few years ago. The sound was, as I recall, what I have in mind. I assumed that this model is way too powerful for home use, and at 76, my gigging days are in the rear view mirror. Wish I’d have had one of these in the 60s, guessing you might feel the same way…maybe you’re younger, however.

I may look around for a used one, although I’ve heard that some of the older ones had quality issues. All I have to do is find someone to carry it in for me…haha. Not that bad yet, but when I think of the 68 Twin Reverb I had, my lower back spasms.

Thanks again for the input fellas.

Rb

Steve DeRosa 01-25-2022 10:35 PM

The V22 is indeed a bit on the heavy side at around 50 pounds, but by the same token it's built like a tank (these guys use anchored machine screws to secure everything - even many of the boutique makers don't do that) and still about 25% lighter than a Twin Reverb (or my own '65 Super Reverb RI) - even if it stays in your practice room as do most of my own high-power amps these days, IME you'll never regret your purchase when it comes to tone and value-per-dollar, and if you're inclined to perform some easy DIY tweaks a tube swap (no need for a $100+ bias job with the Infinium circuitry, provided you choose your tubes carefully) and an upgraded speaker (not really necessary since the current OEM Turbosound is actually quite good) will get you deep into boutique-amp tone territory for not a lotta bucks. FYI you're also right about the used V22's - there were some serious teething issues with the initial run of the "blue-light" first edition (resolved in later production BTW), and the new ones are IMO cheap enough that you really don't need to settle for a potential dud...

rbpicker 01-25-2022 11:01 PM

Thanks Steve. Could I expect to play it at lower home-in-the-basement volumes and still get a good saturated tone?
Roger

SalFromChatham 01-29-2022 05:08 AM

Hey RB…

I have plunged into a few “low-mid tier” electrics… a CV strat, a super cheap Gretsch with Broadtron HBs, and a LP Tribute. And my son has his Reverend still at my house… with P90s. I think I like his Reverend better than my guitars easily.

Also, I can tell you, for home the Blues Jr is overkill, and I just received an Orange Micro Dark yesterday. meh. At least is has a good headphone function and an effects loop for my few pedals. Then it sounds decent.

I kind of wish I could sell both easily and buy a Yamaha home amp, or maybe even that Fender 68 champ reissue amp… my advice regarding the amp… buy once cry once.

Steve DeRosa 01-29-2022 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbpicker (Post 6916304)
... Could I expect to play it at lower home-in-the-basement volumes and still get a good saturated tone?...

Given your preferred style, IME absolutely - and if you still need more gain swap a Mesa SP-AX7 tube in V2 (the small tube in the center of the row of three small tubes - the power tubes are the long skinny ones) for a bit of Boogie mojo...