The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Strings that are EASY on the fingers (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637864)

wguitar 01-23-2022 09:33 AM

Strings that are EASY on the fingers

Hi folks,

Just wondering what strings you find are a bit easier to fret.

Thanks!

rstaight 01-23-2022 09:45 AM

There is a trade off with tone and volume along with being easier on the fingers.

I like the tone of medium gauge strings but for everyday playing I prefer light gauge strings. I feel it's a fair trade off.

Some of the easiest playing strings I have played was on my great-nieces acoustic. She had a buzz that a small truss rod adjustment helped.

While I had the guitar I put on a set of Martin Silk and Steel that she already had. Those strings are easy on the fingers and have good tonal qualities. But for my jam playing they are a bit low on volume. But that doesn't mean I will not use them in the future.

srick 01-23-2022 09:48 AM

Round core strings like DR Sunbeams or low tension strings like SCGC Parabolics.

But, try this - tune down a half step and play with a capo as needed.

best,

Rick

TBman 01-23-2022 09:50 AM

Easy on the fingers (I prefer medium strings):

Silk and Steel 11.5 - 47.5 (Martins)
SUS and Santa Cruz lights
Elixir HD (13 - 53)

** edit **

Also GHS Thin Core (round core strings).

gretsch4me 01-23-2022 09:51 AM

With a good set-up and the action where you want it, I find it just as easy to play mediums as lights.

gmel555 01-23-2022 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srick (Post 6913997)
Round core strings like DR Sunbeams or low tension strings like SCGC parabolics.

Would be my recommendation to try as well. To my ears both of these not only feel softer but on some guitars improve tone.

lowrider 01-23-2022 10:07 AM

DR Sunbeams, easy on the fingers, nice tone.

Just be sure to not clip them until they have been tightened up to tune.

Llewlyn 01-23-2022 10:08 AM

I like Silk and Bronze.

Easy on fingers and sound better than silk and steel to my ears.

Ll.

Stonehauler 01-23-2022 10:14 AM

Curious, why are you asking?

One instructor I know insists that his students keep 80/20 strings on until they develop the needed callous. Others switch a new student to silk and steel right off the bat, but this does delay development of fingertip callouses.

Personally, I like silk and steels, and also go with extra-light strings. That said, you will suffer a decrease in volume, so if you are playing in a band or singing along, it will change the balance.

rokdog49 01-23-2022 10:49 AM

If you are playing alone for self-enjoyment or plugged in, lights of most any manufacturer will do.
I’m currently sporting Monel 11-52’s on my J15 which I play almost exclusively plugged in…butter.
Any round core string in a medium gauge will be easy on your fingers because of the lower tension.

Or…
You can acquire a short scale guitar, get a good set up and your can use mediums if you wish.
BTW, when playing alone, IMHO this volume thing is overblown YMMV.

rdeane 01-23-2022 10:50 AM

I've tried SCGC low tension strings, silk and bronze and Sunbeams and now am using Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum 111's. I tried the 112's but switched back to the 111's for the easier playing (less tension). I get wonderful tone out of these strings and think I may have found a brand I'll stay with for a while. They are not strings I'd use in a band or jam, but for me just playing at home they are working out really well.

stephenT 01-23-2022 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wguitar (Post 6913975)
Hi folks,

Just wondering what strings you find are a bit easier to fret.

Thanks!

my favorites are "Martin MA540FX Tommy's Choice Authentic Flexible Core 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings"

Easy to fret, sound great, last a long time and are inexpensive at $6.99.

birdsong 01-23-2022 11:41 AM

I am currently loving some John Pearse phosphor bronze and silk strings. I think I have the 510L. Which are light. Possible I have the 610LM - light/medium. Great sound and feel.

I have neuropathy and some arthritis and these strings really help.

Dru Edwards 01-23-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretsch4me (Post 6914003)
With a good set-up and the action where you want it, I find it just as easy to play mediums as lights.

+1. I've talked to players before who want strings easier on their fingers and when you play their guitar you realize why, it needs a setup.

wguitar (OP): Has your guitar been setup?

davidd 01-23-2022 12:07 PM

The B and high E strings are the ones that are the most uncomfortable for many players. Only the gauge makes a difference. I do find that Monel's are fairly easy on the fingers as far as the wound strings go. These days I'm happy with 11's on almost all my acoustics.