The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Pava Mandolin (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556172)

Charlieb 08-28-2019 08:17 PM

Pava Mandolin

I've been wanting a mandolin for awhile now. I use to play one a little back years ago and always loved what you could turn any tune into. I bought an Eastman 305 A Style fhole not long ago and just couldn't put it down but wasn't long till the urge to upgrade wouldn't stop...

As of about a week ago I wound up getting the Pava A5 Wide Nut Torrefied. This thing plays and sounds so good. I seriously thought about getting the Collins MT2 as I had read so many good reviews but just something bout the Pava wouldn't let go of me. I'd love to actually play the Collins and see the difference between the two but I'm extremely pleased with my Pava and can't put it down. Now I stay on Peghead Nation and my Joe K Walsh lessons, he is such a great player and teacher.

LadysSolo 08-28-2019 10:39 PM

Congratulations on the Pava! I have a Pava player, and a Collings MT - they are both wonderful mandolins, they both have fabulous fit and finish, and wonderful sound and playability. The main difference (IMHO) is the Collings is "brighter" in sound, but I love them both. The Collings is also easier (IMHO) to "drive" for volume, although the Pava is no slouch either in the volume you can pull out of it. A mandolinist should be able to be satisfied with either one, but be forewarned - after you play a Collings you will likely own both a Collings and a Pava.

Charlieb 08-29-2019 06:12 AM

tks for replying @LadysSolo. I kept going back and forth between the Collins & Pava. You confirmed what I was kinda thinking in the Collins being brighter and louder.

I stopped playing out, so one that had the most volume wasn't a big factor. I'm a couch player now and I wanted one with a nice tone and plays great. The Pava definitely meets and exceeds. I bought the Model A wide nut torrefied and I do like the little added width in the nut. Just ordered a set of Curt Mangan 11.5 - 16 - 26 - 40 strings a couple nights back. Says bluegrass on the package, so I'm anxious to see the comparison between them and the GHS A270 it came with.

I traded my Eastman 305 A back in and banging my head for this as I really liked it. The Eastman had a nice woody bite tone to it and quite a bit of volume. The notes clarity went downhill from 7-12th frets.

Kupuna50 08-29-2019 10:23 AM

Pava/Collings

Although I have never owned a Pava, I have heard good things about them.
I do own a Collings and can tell you that they are amazing!
In every respect.
Apart from the teens and '20's Gibsons, the Collings outshines them all.