The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   I'm Sick Of Bohemian Rhapsody... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535243)

Murphy Slaw 01-20-2019 06:19 AM

I'm Sick Of Bohemian Rhapsody...

I'm almost 61.

I was there the first time. It was 1975. I was 17 and a guitar player. Thought it was cool. Unique. Great chops by Brian May. Great production.

Then Freddie died in 1991 and it resurfaced.

That barely faded when Wayne's World brought it back. Again.

So me and the wife went to see the movie when it came out last month. Don't know why. It wasn't that good, I knew most of that stuff from osmosis. Casting was pretty good. Gear placement was pretty well done, Brian had a hand in that. And now it's in rotation. Again...

It came on the radio Friday night when me and the wife were driving home from an event. I immediately pushed the Bluetooth and changed it. She simply looked at me like she understood.

I'm "Queened Out".....

Twelvefret 01-20-2019 06:37 AM

For me music is connected to memories, some good memories and some sad. I've turned off music before. You have to live a while to appreciate.

Nymuso 01-20-2019 07:19 AM

I always appreciated it as a musical piece, never liked it. When I first heard it I thought it was a joke set up by a DJ. I could never understand why it ever got any traction in a rock/pop context, which explains why I never became a record company executive.

Mbroady 01-20-2019 07:38 AM

It’s kinda like why you see (spoof) signs for no “stairway to heaven” in guitar stores.
With that said, Rhapsody was and still is a classic song with amazing production. I do get something out of it still if heard on a good system.

Dru Edwards 01-20-2019 07:47 AM

Great song but I haven't heard it in years because I turn it off if it's on the radio. Good news is that it's being introduced to a new generation.

Blueser100 01-20-2019 09:04 AM

It’s not my favorite song of all time and I can see how it could annoy others. Having said that, it’s a classic. I recently saw a program where the producer and engineer of the track analyzed it and explained how Freddie pretty much crafted the whole thing including many many overdubs harmonizing his own voice. So while I’m not necessarily moved by it musically, I am in awe of its composition.

Acousticado 01-20-2019 11:37 AM

It’s an awesome song from every perspective. That said, I’m also Queened-out, BR in particular. My sister has seen the movie and is encourage us to see it in the theater. A part of me wants to, but haven’t bothered...yet.

Otterhound 01-20-2019 11:46 AM

I wonder how many that are Queened out can say that they have ever heard any of their first 2 albums .
As far as BR is concerned . If I never hear it again , I will not feel that I missed anything . I just tune another station these days .

Acousticado 01-20-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterhound (Post 5954388)
I wonder how many that are Queened out can say that they have ever heard any of their first 2 albums .
As far as BR is concerned . If I never hear it again , I will not feel that I missed anything . I just tune another station these days .

*Hand raised* “Keep Yourself Alive” from their first album was the song that turned me on to them. I remember where I was when I heard it (while working at my first job). I haven’t googled to look, but I recall the album cover being pink in color. I listened to plenty of Queen after that. I can’t really explain why, but although I love the concept of their sound on the one hand, I’ve long been kinda sick of it on the other.

fazool 01-20-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw (Post 5954078)
I'm Sick Of Bohemian Rhapsody........

I never liked it.

muscmp 01-20-2019 12:05 PM

you should have listened only to the one on the radio. nothing is as good as the original.

play music!

Riverwolf 01-20-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw (Post 5954078)
I'm almost 61.
So me and the wife went to see the movie when it came out last month. Don't know why. It wasn't that good...

61 here too.
I was never much of a Queen fan.
However I was surprised by how much I liked the movie. :)

Shuksan 01-20-2019 01:47 PM

I was Queened out the first time around when I was in high school. BR was way overplayed on the radio and it struck me as a novelty song from the first time I heard it. I would be perfectly happy to never hear it again.

Brucebubs 01-20-2019 02:24 PM

Massive 'Who' fan.
July 1985.
Living in the Southern Hemisphere meant staying up all night to watch Live Aid.
Sat through the incredibly mediocre David Bowie.
The Who were announced ....then ... transmission failed.

But I'll never forget how good Queen were at that concert.
They totally stole that show.

Silly Moustache 01-20-2019 03:09 PM

Freddie (Farrokh Bulsara) was a first rate frontman a fantastic singer and showman.

Freddie lived less than a mile from me from '64 to '69, when I was very active on the local music scene but I don't remember meeting him. He was two years older than me.

Brian May lived a couple of miles away from us and went to the school that I should have gone to but we would have been in the same year. Many famous musicians went to that school - I was not permitted to go there, which is probably why I'm not a famous musician!

Phil Collins was also a local, as was Jimmy Page, and Mitch Mitchell, who, though two years older than me came on some of our gigs and I gave him some drumming tips, as Charlie Watts had helped me.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" was revolutionary for its time in terms of the track length (5.55), the multi tracking and the accompanying promotion video - one of the first.

The song will not die, and has been brought back into attention due to the drama/doc movie about, mainly, Freddie.

That will fade, in time, as most films and records do, but the song will remain.

Speaking personally, I'm proud of my erstwhile neighbours and their many musical achievements.