The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Enjoying the Spire Studio (Part II) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591485)

Acousticado 09-02-2020 09:26 AM

Enjoying the Spire Studio (Part II)

Part I. Please carry on discussion.

FrankHudson 09-02-2020 12:53 PM

Well I just got a little over a hour with my new/used Spire Studio. My original goal was to have something small that I could loan off to a keyboard player/singer that I collaborated with for 40 years so that he could add parts over tracks I've recorded, or record basic tracks (probably to a click or drum track) that I could add bass/guitar/synth etc to. I could loan/give him an older Mac Mini/interface/DAW/mic that would do all that, but he's not particularly interested in technology, and he writes on upright piano, not a in a studio with a place to set up a computer even if he had interest in that.

I'm a DAW user myself. I do all the mixing and editing, and when we used to get together pre-Covid, I "engineered" the recordings. The small size of the Spire, the promise of simple operation seemed promising. I was warned in a post in the Part 1 of this thread that the Spire really needs a tablet/phone (he has neither, nor any interest in one).

My first impressions: I hate too simple user interfaces, and the Spire App may one of those. How do you save something to say OneDrive? It's there, but you'll need to know a magic gesture. Where do you find export all tracks rather than a mix? It's there, but I had a time finding it. Even the whole idea of using WiFi to link the tablet/phone to the device (which has its value, much faster and less laggy that Bluetooth) is clumsy because some things require your tablet to be linked to the Internet and some things require it to be linked to the Spire.

Of course this is all first two hours stuff. If I can figure out a simple workflow for my keys/singer friend I can write a procedure.

So I got it up and running with my iPad, and did the automated "soundcheck," which is a pretty good idea, assuming someone can be consistent with their volume--given how much headroom you can leave in modern digital recording, I'd almost want a preference to set "peaky singer, set extra headroom when doing soundcheck." Started playing a part on an acoustic guitar using the internal mic, then hit record again and played a 2nd part. The default seems to be to add a little something (Izotope Neutron technology) to the track, but the AI guess wasn't extreme and the resulting two tracks sounded very good, considering I'd done nothing to optimize mic location. I have an early Zoom handheld, this sounded better with the tracks right off the machine (how much of this is due to hardware and how much of this is the Izotope software AI secret sauce?)

The little touch screen graphical mixer in the Spire app is cool on a tablet (similar to a feature available in Izotope Neutron software too), Of course this feature is not something I need.

Like I said, I figured out how to save a rough mix, and more importantly, individual tracks in the remainder of the two hours. Many of the tutorials show older versions of the Spire app which have different screens, which is frustrating, but just like a puzzle game, eventually how it does things can be solved (at least until another app update). I can see how this device can do half of what I want it to do, and just maybe it can do the rest. I have an old iPad that I could send with it, but it can't run the Spire software.

Summary of first impressions: very nice hardware, not a fan of the app, but once one figures it out, it seems to have an useful feature set. I can see how folks could do very presentable work with it. The use of the tablet for an user interface is a mixed bag: better than a little dim screen, but the user interface design is frustrating for someone who wants to break out of "wizard" mode and do simple things. The need to switch Wifi on the tablet from Spire to Internet back and forth seems particularly galling to simplicity of operation. Can it be that Izotope doesn't even have a downloadable PDF manual that shows simple workflow suggestions with the current software?

Ideally Izotope would create a wizard/"expert" two-mode app, similar to how much of their software works on computers. I may have to wait until I can gather funds to send a tablet with it to my longtime collaborator.

Captain Jim 09-02-2020 09:11 PM

I have to say that my "first two hour experience" was considerably different... I think I recorded a vocal, a harmony vocal, guitar, drums, and bass with the Spire Studio. I do switch from using the Spire's wifi connection to my iPad to an internet connection... when I am done recording in that session. I haven't found that to be an issue.

If you have a singer/player who isn't consistent with the Spire, they will likely be inconsistent with a DAW, as well. Or even worse: with something like an H4n Pro.

No, I don't think the Spire is a replacement for a DAW, but it is a good companion, and easily portable. For my use, it has been all I need (after a "flirtation" with Logic Pro X).

The features are relatively basic, but that is in line with the use. I am able to punch in if needed, trim a count-in, see graphically how I am doing with the volume while recording, and have some limited effects that iZotope does well. The preamps are decent (Grace Design) and the onboard condenser mic is handy, or you can use your own preference with dynamic or condenser mics.

I don't mean to sound like I am "selling you" on the Spire; after a couple years with it, I appreciate it even more than when I first got it.

FrankHudson 09-03-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 6486972)
I have to say that my "first two hour experience" was considerably different... I think I recorded a vocal, a harmony vocal, guitar, drums, and bass with the Spire Studio. I do switch from using the Spire's wifi connection to my iPad to an internet connection... when I am done recording in that session. I haven't found that to be an issue.

If you have a singer/player who isn't consistent with the Spire, they will likely be inconsistent with a DAW, as well. Or even worse: with something like an H4n Pro.

No, I don't think the Spire is a replacement for a DAW, but it is a good companion, and easily portable. For my use, it has been all I need (after a "flirtation" with Logic Pro X).

My concern with the setting is that I worry that an inconsistent vocalist may "soundcheck" at a lower level and then in the heat of singing a take go into the digital red. When I record this vocalist I always give him lots of headroom. Whatever I may loose in terms of ultimate quality or SN ratio is minimal compared to digital overs. I did record him once on a Zoom handheld, and there I made sure the level gave him room, which is just a knob setting on the Zoom.

There may be a way to manually set a recording level on the Spire, but I don't recall seeing it offhand. I wonder if Izotope uses a limiter to minimize the damage from digital overs? I should try to purposely overload it and see what happens.

The Spire's one-button "magic" level setting is a great idea for those uninterested in recording as process. I admire Isotope for trying something novel there. This is also consistent with their computer software: automated "wizards" are offered to offer ballpark setting for complex effects--but with their software they also offer considerable control for those who want to do something manually or modify the suggestions.

I may be "hampered" by having used multiple DAWs and more than one "portastudio" standalone device over the years. I'm used to a certain metaphor and workflow that I think has core commonalities that the Spire dispenses with or hides as possible confusions. Your point about ease of use is valid! I don't think a DAW and associated computer system/interface is likely easier to use to get nice multitrack recordings of guitars and voice--far from it--and for someone not interesting in the flexibility of a DAW, this thing has promise and has already delivered for you and some others here.

I wasted the largest chunk of time in my short time-availability just trying to export the raw tracks, something I know the Spire can do from their marketing material, and a core need for my use, but not anything that it seemed to have as a menu choice hidden or otherwise, nor could I find it in Izotope's online only FAQ.

What I was eventually able to stumble into was sharing it to Izotope's 7 day duration cloud storage with an Email link and then opening that link on my computer's email which in turn opens a web page interface which allowed me to download the track files (stems) as a zip archive. I can live with that! But why was it so hard to discover?

This, or my previous post is not a rant. Nor am I disputing your experience or desire to be informative to other readers of this product. The Spire is very slick in how it does some things. I've used Izotope's software for years, and like it plenty. I like that they are trying something different with the Spire. I have a need I'm still hoping it may fill, and if it doesn't work for that, it may replace my Zoom handheld for "location" recording.

And any readers of what I wrote: don't take it as some definitive review of this product. I just wanted to let others know that the Spire is different. Some of that difference will please many, even if I'll need to work a bit harder to see how to use it in my scenario. And a lot of what I'm confused about or not always liking is down to the app software, which could be changed if Izotope continues development.

If I wasn't too busy I'd buckle down and write something like "The Missing Manual" series on how the Spire works. Am I right that Izotope hasn't done that: produced a downloadable manual?

Captain Jim 09-16-2020 09:45 AM

Here's the latest Mark & Jim music video, that started with recording tracks on our Spire Studios...

Mark wrote the lyrics and played guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards; working from our motorhome, I did the guitar and vocal tracks. Mark did move the tracks from the Spire Studio to Logic Pro X for the final music production. I did the video production from the dinette in the motorhome.

Here are the lyrics, if you want to sing along...

Vaccine

Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine
Please go ahead and stick your needle in.
Only you can take us back to when.

Far too many have no clue
So we must all rely on you
Cause wearin’ masks is hard to do, vaccine.

We haven’t learned to stay away
Cause it’s more fun to drink and play.
We’re dying to get out and make the scene.

There’s some who’ll claim that you are flawed,
But we trust science, we’re in awe
Of all your lovely antigens, vaccine.

Maybe you’re M-R-N-A
Or made the old fashioned way,
You’re gonna kick that COVID it its genes.

The race is on, we need you fast,
But your effect has got to last,
Or, there’s no point in taking you, vaccine.

We probably won’t be virus-free,
But maybe herd immunity
Will free us all from this quarantine.

So jam that needle in my arm.
Fauci says you’ll do no harm.
I’m all yours to immunize, vaccine.

Now, it could take an extra dose,
Like Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
But, we’ll do anything it takes, vaccine.

We hope that Dolly doesn’t mind,
We went ahead and changed her rhymes,
Cause your truth is hard to find, vaccine

And last, we thank the brilliant minds
Who work nonstop to save our kind,
Cause we’re running out of time, vaccine.

---------

Feel free to comment and share.

benjamin1884 09-27-2020 07:09 PM

Beautiful Sound

Oh well I sure love my Spire Studio! Here’s a sweet tune by the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band. Beautiful Sound. Do hope you enjoy
Rick
https://www.facebook.com/1552067488/...2776537352660/

Gordon Currie 09-27-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 6486499)
Summary of first impressions: very nice hardware, not a fan of the app, but once one figures it out, it seems to have an useful feature set. I can see how folks could do very presentable work with it. The use of the tablet for an user interface is a mixed bag: better than a little dim screen, but the user interface design is frustrating for someone who wants to break out of "wizard" mode and do simple things. The need to switch Wifi on the tablet from Spire to Internet back and forth seems particularly galling to simplicity of operation. Can it be that Izotope doesn't even have a downloadable PDF manual that shows simple workflow suggestions with the current software?

This is pretty much aligned with what I found as well. I think the Spire is awesome for someone who wants to build nice demos without using a DAW.

For me, it sits in a place between DAW and a Zoom-style mini recorder. Unfortunately, I found that place to be useless for *my* needs.
If I want quick I'll use my Zoom H2. If I want overdubs I'll fire up a DAW.

The only device I can use with it is my iPhone; my 3 iPads are all too old.

I think someone like Capt Jim, being very mobile, brings an additional factor: the Spire is everything you need while on the road and NOTHING more.
If I was traveling I might give that aspect greater weight.

Captain Jim 09-28-2020 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin1884 (Post 6509794)
Oh well I sure love my Spire Studio! Here’s a sweet tune by the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band. Beautiful Sound. Do hope you enjoy
Rick
https://www.facebook.com/1552067488/...2776537352660/

Very nice!

Captain Jim 09-28-2020 06:25 AM

Since Gordon mentioned our wandering lifestyle, thought I'd mention that I use the Spire even more in my music room when we're home. It was the solution for me the past three months while we've been out and about (heading towards home currently), but it will get more use when we're home.

I find the Zoom H4n Pro I have to be clumsy and slow and Logic Pro X to be more complicated than I care to mess with. (To be fair, my music partner loves Logic Pro X.) The Spire Studio doesn't just fit between those two, it replaces my use for either. For my recording, 8 tracks is plenty, and the Spire app on the iPad makes the workflow slick. When recording something with my partner, we found that we occasionally needed more than 8 tracks, so he imports the Spire files to Logic Pro X (and uses some of iZotope's plug-ins).

I have been having fun recording some of the music I've been playing for decades - I haven't found anything as easy and intuitive as the Spire... but, I haven't looked for anything different since getting it. ;)

benjamin1884 09-28-2020 07:03 AM

Seconded

Captain Jim I have been using my Spire Studio for close to 2 years now. Absolutely love it. If it broke I’d immediately replace it with a new one. Ultra user friendly, compact, transports easily. Exceptional quality as well. I too do not need more than 8 tracks. I even recorded a complete album with the darn thing.
Wonderful device
Rick Benjamin

Captain Jim 09-28-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin1884 (Post 6510043)
Captain Jim I have been using my Spire Studio for close to 2 years now. Absolutely love it. If it broke I’d immediately replace it with a new one. Ultra user friendly, compact, transports easily. Exceptional quality as well. I too do not need more than 8 tracks. I even recorded a complete album with the darn thing.
Wonderful device
Rick Benjamin

Well, I have to second your second, Rick. ;) The form factor on the Spire may have some people thinking it is too simplistic, but the technology in it combined with the functional app makes it intuitive and functional. Of course, I don't have to tell you that. :)

Recording with the Spire allows me to have fun recording rather than fiddling with equipment.

raysachs 09-28-2020 06:40 PM

I love it too, even though portability is not a factor for me. There are a couple of things it doesn't do that I'd like if it did (foot switch to punch in and out, and some sort of dynamic mixing capability rather than just set one mix for the whole tune), but I'm willing to forego those features for the simplicity of use, the lack of having to fiddle with levels and mics and whatnot. I just use the built in mic for any acoustic guitar and/or voice and I use a direct line in for electric guitar. Simplest multi-track recording I've ever done. It produces as good a recording as I've ever gotten with a fraction of the effort... Anything higher end would be totally wasted on my meager musical skills anyway and if I was a better musician, it would come through fine on the Spire - I've heard some of the folks around here who use it and have produced some great stuff on it.

-Ray

raysachs 09-30-2020 02:25 PM

A slower and mellower version of my favorite Dead song. Mix of acoustic and electric. As always, pardon the vocals...

-Ray

Captain Jim 12-14-2020 02:12 PM

It has been a while since anyone posted here. The Spire Studio is still the centerpiece of my recording. I recorded my tracks on the Spire, then sent them to my music partner. He did some of his tracks on the Spire and a couple of them direct into Logic Pro X. Final mix in Logic, with 13 tracks...

KevWind 12-15-2020 11:14 AM

I don't own a Spire or use on or plan to (so no experience )
But I completely understand how they are great little units for some people . And no doubt already having the mic' onboard and connected is a genuine time saving work flow plus

That said it interesting different people perceive things differently .

While I completely understand the attraction of mobility and or have a single unit to get music recorded with out have to fire up a computer
I admit I am a DAW user and advocate (I suppose one reason being it was my first venture into Digital Recording in 2003)

But in more general sense (not specifically anyone posting here) and also (not meaning to distract the notion implied in the title of this thread )

And I think it has perspective in the broader context of this thread
I think there are some commonly held misconceptions about full featured DAW's in general
#1 that because they have a vast amount of features and ability they must inherently be complicated and complex to use.
But the reality is for simple recording of audio they really are not all that much more complicated to use than standalone units.

So here I think is what appears to a fairly objective of the feature benefits and pros' and con's Curious what the current users think of this Review ?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...e-spire-studio

BoneDigger 12-15-2020 12:35 PM

The reason I enjoy my spire is because it makes it very easy to collaborate. I can export directly to a messenger app with no having to export then email. With that being said, I may sell mine soon. I like it a lot, but once I updated my phone, I now have the ability to record through an external microphone and there are pretty decent apps for phones now, so it's pretty easy. It's not as high quality as the spire, but for song writing collabs it works just fine.

Captain Jim 12-15-2020 12:53 PM

Hi KevWind,

I think that review was pretty accurate at the time (June 2018). Izotope has continued to update the iOS app, offering more effect options and an enhanced SoundCheck that recognizes your input and balances accordingly. There is also an Enhance feature that is similar to iZotope's plug-in DAW products.

The streamline use of the Spire Studio allows me to do in an hour what would take me all afternoon with a ZoomH4n Pro. It certainly doesn't have all the features of a full DAW.

My music partner is a Logic Pro X user, but also uses a Spire Studio. He will often start a project with the Spire, then transfer it to the DAW as it grows beyond 8 tracks with multiple takes.

I am certainly one of those you didn't point a finger at (;)) who finds Logic Pro X unnecessarily complicated. In the time it takes to get a level balanced and ready to record in Logic, I have completed recording a track with the Spire. The recording I do isn't at the professional level... after playing for 50 years, I thought it would be nice to have some record of that. I have also been doing a series of "Staying At Home" videos where I use a Shure MV88+ and an iPhone... like the Spire, it is a simple means to an end. And, for my use, it is enough.

If, in my enthusiasm, I suggested that the Spire Studio is the end-all, be-all for anyone interested in recording, I would like to go on record (pun intended) as saying: "It works for me." I try not to get into the "my guitar can beat up your guitar" discussions, regardless of the particular piece of equipment.

Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. Ask your recording specialist if Spire Studio may be right for you. No animals were harmed in the making of any of my recordings, and Rufus the cat quite likes the process (he is often at my feet while I am recording, and has been heard on a video or two).

I'm a retired guy. My wife thinks I am "accomplishing something" when I am recording and doesn't ask me to do other projects around the house. That in itself may be the best reason for it. :D

Virtual hugs (remember hugs?),
Jim

raysachs 12-15-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6576443)
So here I think is what appears to a fairly objective of the feature benefits and pros' and con's Curious what the current users think of this Review ?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...e-spire-studio

I think that gets it about right. I started playing around with recording with a Fostex 4-track cassette recorder back in about 1984 or so. I had no problem getting up to speed and working that machine, but the sound was not even in the same league of today's tools and there were no effects or manipulation possible - just basic recording, punch in and punch out, and mixing. I've tried a number of times to use Garage Band to record and I find it hopelessly confusing. If I was recording a LOT, I'm sure I'd internalize it's methods and get reasonably good at it, but I don't record that often. And when I do, I just want to be able to play and not spend a lot of time setting up mics, checking levels, etc.

I got the Sprire two years ago and it's exactly what the doctor ordered for me. It's dead simple to use, it takes me no more than 5 minutes to be totally set up and ready to go, and the sound quality is fantastic. I LOVE the soundcheck feature - it makes setting levels a snap. I love the app controls. and the simplicity of the mixing screen.

There are only two things I miss from using my old Fostex 4-track and, less so, from my frustrating experiences with Garage Band. First, the ability to punch in and punch out with a foot switch. There's a pretty decent punch in capability that I've gotten good at, but there's no way to punch out without just reaching over and hitting the "record" button. So I really can't do overdubs of a botched section except when I'm singing and have both hand's free. Which is OK, because singing is where I need the most help. But for guitar tracks, I can start recording again from the spot of a mistake, but then I pretty much have to replay the rest of the track from that point. I'd LOVE a foot switch to be able to punch in and out. Second, the mixing, while dead simple, is static for the whole track, not a dynamic thing where you can change levels and pan DURING the track. You set it up for the whole track and that's where it stays. I've learned to work around the pretty well, just by using separate tracks for lead fills during the vocal portions of songs and for lead breaks, that I'd generally rather have a a higher volume. This isn't a huge deal for me, but ideally, it'd be nice to be able to change the mix properties in real time as a track plays.

There are tradeoffs for sure. For any level of pro level or even high level amateur recording, I'm sure the Spire would be too limited for most folks. But for a guy who just likes to play around with building multi-track songs for the fun of it, it's a great tool. For me, the tradeoffs are great - I'll deal with it's limitations in exchange for it's extremely easy setup and simplicity in use.

-Ray

FrankHudson 12-15-2020 10:11 PM

Obviously those here who find the Spire easy to use are reporting their honest experience. It's possible that some ADF members would find it easier to use than most DAWs.

I had some honest frustrations with the Spire, discussed near the end of the old thread and the beginning of this one. I won't repeat myself. I would say that I think the product could benefit from a manual (these days typically a PDF file). But again, happy users here say I could be mostly wrong.

KevWind, it's easy for us who've gotten over the initial learning bump with DAWs to imagine that everyone else won't have some trouble there. Even things like what which input is which, and does it need phantom power or line level or why am I not hearing what I think I should be hearing confuse folks who haven't gotten used to at least one DAW and some basic concepts.

I considered with my own now isolated playing partner who's not technically interested, just setting up a template in a DAW and leaving a mic plugged in, but my experience in tech support says that Murphy will likely change something or click somewhere you don't expect and things will no longer work as expected.

KevWind 12-16-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 6576955)
Obviously those here who find the Spire easy to use are reporting their honest experience. It's possible that some ADF members would find it easier to use than most DAWs.

I had some honest frustrations with the Spire, discussed near the end of the old thread and the beginning of this one. I won't repeat myself. I would say that I think the product could benefit from a manual (these days typically a PDF file). But again, happy users here say I could be mostly wrong.

Quote:

KevWind, it's easy for us who've gotten over the initial learning bump with DAWs to imagine that everyone else won't have some trouble there.
Even things like what which input is which, and does it need phantom power or line level or why am I not hearing what I think I should be hearing confuse folks who haven't gotten used to at least one DAW and some basic concepts.

I considered with my own now isolated playing partner who's not technically interested, just setting up a template in a DAW and leaving a mic plugged in, but my experience in tech support says that Murphy will likely change something or click somewhere you don't expect and things will no longer work as expected.

I agree about the learning curve and why I qualified my post with the fact that a DAW is what I learned on in 2003 so it may be I have forgotten how intimidating and or complex it can appear. I am 70 so forgetting is integral part of life now :D

benjamin1884 12-26-2020 09:19 AM

Carolina in the pines

I’ve been enjoying the Spire for collaboration. I did vocal, guitar, banjo and mandolin, my buddy Al added the upright and dobro, and voila finished product
Hope you enjoy
Rick
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/1YsPVYTJ8GNJ6mBU8

Captain Jim 12-26-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjamin1884 (Post 6586043)
I’ve been enjoying the Spire for collaboration. I did vocal, guitar, banjo and mandolin, my buddy Al added the upright and dobro, and voila finished product
Hope you enjoy
Rick
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/1YsPVYTJ8GNJ6mBU8

Very nice!

Captain Jim 01-19-2021 10:12 PM

I heard from my music partner this morning: his computer was just returned after a week, and he was looking to make some music. I haven't recorded anything in several weeks... three hours later, I had 8 tracks from the Spire sent off to him (guitars, drums, bass, vocals). He'll add his parts and mix in Logic ProX. Easy.

rmoretti49 01-20-2021 08:16 AM

I am happy enough with my Spire Studio, but remain quite annoyed with the lack of a comprehensive manual. Yes, I can find some tutorials on the Izotope website. But they are incomplete, and often enough do not answer the questions I have. It is as if the developers thought that by not creating a manual, their device was automatically completely, thoroughly intuitive. Spire is indeed pretty intuitive but not that intuitive. I use mine with an Android tablet, and the screens are not the same as they are for the Apple application.

FrankHudson 01-20-2021 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmoretti49 (Post 6609489)
I am happy enough with my Spire Studio, but remain quite annoyed with the lack of a comprehensive manual. Yes, I can find some tutorials on the Izotope website. But they are incomplete, and often enough do not answer the questions I have. It is as if the developers thought that by not creating a manual, their device was automatically completely, thoroughly intuitive. Spire is indeed pretty intuitive but not that intuitive. I use mine with an Android tablet, and the screens are not the same as they are for the Apple application.

This was a strong impression I was left with too, and given that the hardware and the software's capabilities are good, frustrating. One can figure out things eventually based on what you want to do it, but it's not like it's so complex that an approximately 20 "page" PDF manual couldn't cover some basic workflows or explain briefly what was happening behind the scenes with the Izotope software auto-magical handling of the audio.

If I wasn't otherwise occupied, I would think about contacting Izotope and offer to write that manual myself. That would be a nice project for someone interested in that sort of work and wanting something they could show potential employers, or as and extra-credit educational project. At my age none of this applies, but if I was a young'un...

One reason that might be harder to do, and one reason Izotope may not have done it, is part of the Unique Selling Proposition of the Spire: that it uses phones/tablets as it's user interface that they do not control. As you mention, your screens on whatever version of Android you are using don't look like what you see in some tutorials, and even the same generation of Apple IOS doesn't work exactly the same on the iPhones as on iPads. This is sort of a devil's bargain. On one hand it allows the Spire to have a much richer user interface that something like a Zoom handheld with a tiny low-res LCD screen, on the other hand, the owners and controllers of that user interface and underlying hardware can change, fork, or otherwise trouble someone like Izotope or a third-party writing a manual.

My guess is the happy users on this thread have figured out that they want to do with it (most things seem "intuitive" once you've learned them :) ) or are working with workflows that are different than mine.

This Spire hardware really does offer a way to do no-drama one or two track at a time multitracking for guitars and vocals without need to understand basic recording setup (the sound check level control, the Izotope presets/"secret sauce"...). These are good reasons some here love theirs.

Captain Jim 01-20-2021 05:37 PM

The workflow really is easy with the Spire (with an iPad Pro): pick an effect (space, amp, pedal), do a "sound check" playing/singing, record. To add more tracks, repeat. You can do a elementary mix (adjust volume, pan right or left). Several one-click options to export the file. Done.

Compared to my Zoom H4n Pro, the Spire is a walk in the park. I have used the onboard condenser mic, plugged in dynamic and large diaphragm condenser mics, guitars (acoustic and electric), bass (direct), electronic drums (direct). If I want more guitar effects than the Spire offers, I run a direct line out from a THR30ii to the Spire.

Over the time with the Spire, I have learned what I like with mic placement, for better results. I cannot imagine a less complicated recording set-up. I don't profess to be professional in my results, but there has been remarkable improvement after getting the Spire.

Working with the Spire made me more comfortable in using the Shure MV88+ with an iPhone for music videos. For decades, making music was about playing out for me. That went away in the past year (corporate events), so doing some recording (mostly for my Honey) has filled that void. My music partner likes to do full band recordings (with he and I playing all the instruments), but I tend to do more guitar/bass/vocals for myself. The Spire is slick for that.

lfoo6952 01-20-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 6609852)
This was a strong impression I was left with too, and given that the hardware and the software's capabilities are good, frustrating. One can figure out things eventually based on what you want to do it, but it's not like it's so complex that an approximately 20 "page" PDF manual couldn't cover some basic workflows or explain briefly what was happening behind the scenes with the Izotope software auto-magical handling of the audio.

If I wasn't otherwise occupied, I would think about contacting Izotope and offer to write that manual myself. That would be a nice project for someone interested in that sort of work and wanting something they could show potential employers, or as and extra-credit educational project. At my age none of this applies, but if I was a young'un...

One reason that might be harder to do, and one reason Izotope may not have done it, is part of the Unique Selling Proposition of the Spire: that it uses phones/tablets as it's user interface that they do not control. As you mention, your screens on whatever version of Android you are using don't look like what you see in some tutorials, and even the same generation of Apple IOS doesn't work exactly the same on the iPhones as on iPads. This is sort of a devil's bargain. On one hand it allows the Spire to have a much richer user interface that something like a Zoom handheld with a tiny low-res LCD screen, on the other hand, the owners and controllers of that user interface and underlying hardware can change, fork, or otherwise trouble someone like Izotope or a third-party writing a manual.

My guess is the happy users on this thread have figured out that they want to do with it (most things seem "intuitive" once you've learned them :) ) or are working with workflows that are different than mine.

This Spire hardware really does offer a way to do no-drama one or two track at a time multitracking for guitars and vocals without need to understand basic recording setup (the sound check level control, the Izotope presets/"secret sauce"...). These are good reasons some here love theirs.

If you go to the izotope website, under support, you will find tutorials and instructions on how to use the Spire.

FrankHudson 01-21-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfoo6952 (Post 6610164)
If you go to the izotope website, under support, you will find tutorials and instructions on how to use the Spire.

I'm sure your suggestion/reminder will help some, so it's good that you point this out.

I looked at all of them in existence late last year when I got my Spire. My memory is that I found the Izotope tutorials insufficient. Video tutorials in a lot of cases can also be inefficient, depending on the user's needs and the type of information being conveyed. For example, a video tutorial on how to play clawhammer banjo is the most effective and efficient way to convey the information. A video tutorial when you're trying to figure out quickly "how do I export individual .wav files for all the tracks to a icloud/onedrive etc" is not as efficient. And while video files can have tables of contents/indexes, few do.

rmoretti49 01-21-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 6610597)
I'm sure your suggestion/reminder will help some, so it's good that you point this out.

I looked at all of them in existence late last year when I got my Spire. My memory is that I found the Izotope tutorials insufficient. Video tutorials in a lot of cases can also be inefficient, depending on the user's needs and the type of information being conveyed. For example, a video tutorial on how to play clawhammer banjo is the most effective and efficient way to convey the information. A video tutorial when you're trying to figure out quickly "how do I export individual .wav files for all the travelop a manual for Spire?cks to a icloud/onedrive etc" is not as efficient. And while video files can have tables of contents/indexes, few do.

Yep. that is exactly my experience, too. Really, how much trouble would it take for Izotope to develop a manual for Spire?

Captain Jim 01-21-2021 10:09 PM

As a relatively early Spire user, I can say that the features have changed and improved over time. I appreciate the fact that they continue to support this platform with updates... although I had to scratch my head on one update, then got another that fixed my issue two days later. With the regular updates, a manual would be quickly outdated or incomplete.

I consider myself reasonably tech capable... the Zoom H4n Pro and Logic ProX had me consulting YouTube regularly to get through a project. Never had to do that with the Spire, but iZotope's videos have given me good tips on getting more out of it.